Search results

1. DanBoston

Burnham MPO-IQ versus Buderus G125BE Oil Boilers

Shelly: Yes I did have the HTP Versa Hydro Solar system installed. The contractor was great and is local. I had a hard time finding someone who would do it. He is relatively young and new to the business and is not tainted with oversizing boilers like most of the old school guys are. Send...
  2. DanBoston

Quiet, Reliable Residential Toe Kick heater

We are looking for a quiet, reliable toekick heater to add to our remodeled Kitchen. The Kitchen measures roughly 23 feet 15 feet and we are looking to add two TK heaters. What are the better brands/models out there? Tx, Dan
  3. DanBoston

Solar Evacuated Tube Panels

I plan to have a contractor install a solar hot water system for my home. I know absolutely nothing about solar collectors. I just need to make sure that the evacuated tube solar panels that the contractor is recommending are good quality AND have a good warranty. He is recommending two...
  4. DanBoston

Dana: With Federal Tax Credits, State and local utility rebates, the HTP Versa-Hydro Solar system is by far the best deal. It's like getting the solar hot water system for free! I have posted a new Thread under "Water Heaters - Solar and Geothermal" pertaining to inquiries about Solar...
  5. DanBoston

Dana: When you say the Versa-Hydro will ALWAYS be firing in condensing mode, does that ssume that the return water needs to be 110 F or lower? Or is it the Delta-T needs to be at a certain threshold value? I had a contractor tell me that it is the delta-T, not the actual return water...
  6. DanBoston

Dana: Great. Your knowledge of boiler systems and the ability to convey that information is unbelievable and you have been of immense help. I really do appreciate it! I will price out the HTP Versa-Hydro Solar. Looks like a great system and hopefully dummy-proof installation. P.S...
  7. DanBoston

Dana: I called HTP and they gave me more information about the Versa-Hydro. They offer three different-sized Hot Water Storage units (50-, 80-, 119-gal), but they all have the same burner. The Main Combustion Unit modulates from 26 - 130 K btus/hr, whereas, the Space Heating component...
  8. DanBoston

Dana: Great. I really appreciate your help. So, if I decide to add solar hot water, I should stick with the Alpine 80 and a 30-gallon buffer tank. Under the solar scenario, for the IDHW tank I would need an 80-gall IDHW heater with two coils. If I decide NOT to go with solar hot...
  9. DanBoston

The water piping diagram for the Alpine is shown here (see attachment): Where would the buffer go? I looked at the HTP VERSA, which has a modulating burner that appears to range from 100 K btu/hr to a low of ___? Not sure what the low end is although they say it has a 5 to1 turndown...
  10. DanBoston

The hardness of Town water has been consistent for years at 2 grains per gallon or 34 milligrams per liter. Is this enough to cause scaling problems? As provided in the Chromalox web-site, the 99.9% ODT values for the following cities are: Boston [6 F], Worcester [0 F], Concord, NH [-8 F]...
  11. DanBoston

Dana: That helps a lot. However, if you have an example of a simple-series return schematic that would be really great since I am having a hard time picturing that. Yes, we plan to add a 50-gallon indirect water heater (Burnham Alliance stone-lined). One of the Burnham contractors said...
  12. DanBoston

Dana: So, when I put heating in the basement, I should absolutely go with cast iron over fin-tube? After weighing all my options, I have definitely decided to go with the Burnham Alpine 80. Burnham has a good reputation and the Alpine 80 modulating range looks good (16 to 80 K btu/hr) for...
  13. DanBoston

Dana: OK, it's clear to me that for low-mass systems (similiar to the one I have) that a buffer will help with decreasing maintenance and increasing the life of the boiler by creating less frequent and longer burn cycles. That makes sense. What about on the return side? Does a buffer...
  14. DanBoston

Oil to Gas Boiler Conversion Run-Around

I have decided between three different gas-fired mod-con boilers: Burnham Alpine 80, HTP Elite 80 and the Prestige Solo 60. These units all have the same lowest min (16 K btu/hr). My heat loss rate is between 25 to 35 K btu/hr. Am I better off going with the lowest max available (e.g., the...
  15. DanBoston

WEDI walk-in shower base construction

Has anyone constructed a walk-in shower using the WEDI shower base without the curb? I would put a glass door at the entrance.
  16. DanBoston

Supply Lines to Separate Showers

OK Thanks. How many fixture units for sinks and toilets? In addition to the shower in the basement, we will have a 65-gallon jacuzzi and a toilet.
  17. DanBoston

Supply Lines to Separate Showers

I am adding a new bath to my basement and was wondering what is the best way to make sure that both the water pressure and hot water temperature does not drop while in the shower. I have an existing shower on the first floor of a ranch. When someone turns on the hot water elsewhere in the...
  18. DanBoston

Mold-Mildew Resistant Grout?

Does anyone know if there is a tried-and-true grout out there for tiling bathroom shower stalls that is mold and mildew resistant? I am considering using the Swanstone shower kit or tiling a new shower stall in my basement and am very concerned about mold and mildew. I hear that the...
  19. DanBoston

Dana: I appreciate the explanation of the boiler temperature going to and returning from the Al-fins - that makes sense and I can easily convey that to a contractor going forward. So it sounds lke the buffer tank is used in tandem with the boiler and that hot water from the boiler may or...
  20. DanBoston

Dana: Thanks for the information on the insulation - very helpful. The smallest zone is about 40 ft and that would give a mass of water within that zone at about 3.7 gallons. With that small zone therefore, I should think about adding more mass - i.e., a buffer? Being a simple...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks