Search results

1. Chris in Dallas

Dryer Booster fans ?

Code dictates that when a combustion appliance draws air through a duct directly from the outside, an opening of 2 sq in per 4 kbtu/h is required. A dryer produces less than 40 kbtu/hr, so only 20 sq. in are required. My 6" duct provides 28 square inches. BUT, more importantly, the...
  2. Chris in Dallas

Dryer Booster fans ?

Update on my modified dryer venting: Finished the system, installing a gravity-operated damper on the intake, insulated all the ducts, and still working just great. Lots of velocity at the exit, full loads dry in 40-50 minutes. So, I can tentatively recommend this type of system, though it...
  3. Chris in Dallas

Dryer Booster fans ?

If I'd stuck with the coaxial pipe idea, I'd have switched to an 8" outside pipe to be sure to have very little resistance on the intake side. But because I would have to insulate the whole thing anyway, I just went with 1.5" duct board, and cut it to fit very tightly between my ceiling joists...
  4. Chris in Dallas

Dryer Booster fans ?

If the fan motor is turning, the blades are turning. It may be that the booster is working against pressure, and is not able to reach a rate of airflow that you can feel. Additionally, the lint screen box may be leaky. Regarding tight homes needing air exchanges, that is definitely true. But...
  5. Chris in Dallas

Dryer Booster fans ?

Again, though, the "minimum ventillation required for a gas appliance when in an enclosed place like a closet" is with the assumption that outside the closet, the air is drawn through accidental discontinuities in the conditioned space envelope, and those should be minimal. So the dryer must be...
  6. Chris in Dallas

Dryer Booster fans ?

I didn't make it clear enough that I'm going to skip the makeup air blower, and just provide the air via the 6" round duct and the larger rectangular duct. As that provides more than twice the cross sectional area for the return air as is provided for the exhaust, over only a slightly longer...
  7. Chris in Dallas

Dryer Booster fans ?

Regarding what the dryer manual says about 72 sq in unobstructed air intake when installed in a closet: what are the assumptions there? If I install to that requirement in a house with 1 air change per hour at 50 pascals, do I satisfy the manufacturer's requirements? Don't know, do we...
  8. Chris in Dallas

Dryer Booster fans ?

I have the 4" exhaust run finished, with a Broan Ecovent damper. The run has two 90's and a 45, and about 17' straight. The manual allows 45' of straight pipe with three 90's, so I'm well inside that requirement. I changed the make-up air supply a bit. The last ten feet of exhaust run...
  9. Chris in Dallas

Dryer Booster fans ?

Well, a 6" inline duct booster will provide a maximum of 250 cfm when it is boosting existing airflow. I figure the dryer will draw 150-200 cfm for both combustion and drying. The fan, working from a restricted source (the 1" gap around a 4" pipe, over a distance of about 12', plus bends), but...
  10. Chris in Dallas

Dryer Booster fans ?

For heat recovery, I'm using a coaxial counterflow setup, with make-up air for the gas dryer coming from outside of the house. 4" duct for centered in 6" supply duct. Will have a 4" dryer booster right after a supplemental lint screen after about 6' of run with two 90 degree bends and one 45...
  11. Chris in Dallas

Dryer Booster fans ?

I don't think I was clear enough in my post. If the dryer intake is sealed, so that the make-up air is pressurized in the dryer, how would that affect performance?
  12. Chris in Dallas

Dryer Booster fans ?

Hello, this is my first post here. Regarding boosting the dryer exhaust: what about boosting the dryer intake? The fan could be a a cheapy (not a $200 exhaust booster, made to work with lint), and the air source could be from outside the house. Obviously, the intake would require some...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks