Search results

1. LLigetfa

Inrush Question: Shallow well jet vs deep well submersible pumps

Why not consider a submersible? They are much more efficient and they soft start due to the long wire.
  2. LLigetfa

Increasing the PSI: am I being too cautious?

First off, you should have a flow inducer sleeve on that pump, mostly for cooling but also to reduce a whirlpool sucking air. With the sleeve, you could also set the pump a little deeper. Pressure switches come in a variety of presets to match different situations. For example, some pumps...
  3. LLigetfa

How to manually clean a septic tank?

Do not rely on "indicators" as to when it needs to be emptied. If you wait for indicators, then it is already too late. Open the covers on the the tank and probe the contents to see how deep the sludge is and how thick the floating scum is. If either of them are close to reaching the outlet...
  4. LLigetfa

Pressure switch/well issue

Floppy lever is normal. What is not normal is to have two pressure switches controlling the same pump. My guess is one is installed on the side of the motor which the manufacturers do as a convenience to make an easy-to-install complete package. It is not a good location for it so that is the...
  5. LLigetfa

Pressure switch/well issue

You assume wrong. Water crossing over does not change the pressure.
  6. LLigetfa

Whole house iron removal, Iron Curtain

Regardless if it is the norm or not, I would not use Iron Out. There are other brands or resin cleaner to choose from. My iron is 6.75 PPM so I have a dedicated iron filter but some iron still gets into the softener so I use salt with citric acid to maintain the resin.
  7. LLigetfa

Running my well pump for a week?

Install a protector such as a cycle sensor in case it draws down too low.
  8. LLigetfa

How many sump pump weep holes needed?

Same here. It is not common practice to increase pump run time by recirculating some of the discharge. Drill more holes in the basin to let the water in faster and/or adjust the float switch.
  9. LLigetfa

SDR 35 and Potable Water

Most likely it has never even been tested for food safety so it is unknown whether it would pass or fail. Not all PVC manufacturing is food safe. Remember the lead contaminated PVC blinds and toys out of China?
  10. LLigetfa

Unglog Toilet Methods?

Depends on what clogged it. 1. Get a better plunger that holds more volume and seals better to the bowl. Burp out trapped air so the plunger moves more liquid. Try to get the plunger to work on the upstroke as well. 2. Fill the bowl as high as you dare to have more pressure against the...
  11. LLigetfa

Most efficient type check valve for separating non filtered water

A properly precharged expansion tank should seldom be a source of stored volume since the precharge would be the same as static. The stored volume would only increase when water is being heated at a time of no water use. The small amount of reverse flow through the carbon filter should not be...
  12. LLigetfa

Bowl fills, tank slowly drains into bowl but stops when tank is full

That does not explain the change that purportedly only started a week ago unless something caused less water to enter the tank causing it to take longer to fill which in turn caused more water to enter the bowl. Perhaps it was like that since installation and just did not get noticed before...
  13. LLigetfa

Bowl fills, tank slowly drains into bowl but stops when tank is full

Post a picture of the fill valve with the lid off the tank. My guess is that the small fill tube is directing a small stream of water down the overflow which is normal and by design on most fill valves.
  14. LLigetfa

Water not clearing up from “newish” well

You should not have to ask since it is stated in the thread that it starts 20 feet down.
  15. LLigetfa

PRV question after adding well storage tank and booster pump

85 PSI is only 5 PSI above the recommended max and since it is not constant, I would not be too worried about detrimentally affecting the plumbing and fixtures.
  16. LLigetfa

Airlifting well for redevelopment

From your description of the well in your other thread, my guess is it has a bad seal or no seal between the steel casing that is only 38 feet deep and the PVC casing. Possibly there is no seal or a bad seal between the bore hole and the steel casing and surface water may be contaminating the well.
  17. LLigetfa

How to manually clean a septic tank?

The "solids" are actually not all that solid and cannot easily be removed with a shovel. They are usually sucked out through a 2 - 4 inch hose with a vac truck. http://schellvacequipment.com/products/industrial-straightvac/
  18. LLigetfa

Airlifting well for redevelopment

I am doubtful that air-lifting by itself would do a very good job of unclogging the screen. Ask the well company if they could run a surge block up and down to clean out the slotted casing prior to air-lifting. I have also heard of sewer jetting well screen and have worked with both small...
  19. LLigetfa

Water Softener Drain

There is a saying that "the solution to pollution is dilution" and for sure that applies to chloride so unless the sump pit has dry spells when there is no ground water to dilute and flush away the chloride, it should not cause corrosion issues. If you are going to air gap it into the rain...
  20. LLigetfa

Water Softener Drain

You are right on both counts. Dumping directly into the sump discharge line might be a bad idea. I don't know how you could do that and maintain a proper air gap. Without an air gap, the pressure from the sump pump can backflow to the softener. I have mine dumping into the sump pit with a...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks