Search results

1. gyverbabe

Central heat causing $600 plus electric

Thanks. He did come in and check the t-stat, it was wired properly, but apparantly there was a switch that was set on gas/oil, not on electric. We moved in last April, the unit was not checked before summer, and it was not checked before the winter months. Of course, we live in a dump, there...
  2. gyverbabe

Ok, here's the deal. Compressor was bad on the outside unit. The old thermostat would only work if the heat was set above 81, apparantly that will cause a high electric bill. Will the compressor also cause a high electric bill? Also, how often should a HVAC be serviced or checked?
  3. gyverbabe

Jim, We will do that. We replaced the thermostat about a week before they read the meter, so I really doubt if the thermostat (new one) is the problem. Landlord said he would have someone out here within 48 hours to check the unit.
  4. gyverbabe

Cookie, anything is possible, we live in a horrible neighborhood. The house next door is now empty. As for the heat pump (it is a heat pump), I don't know what make and model, I'll go out and look at it in daylight tomorrow. Our landlord insisted that the thermostat was fine when I suggested...
  5. gyverbabe

We are considering getting heaters instead of using the central heat, but right now, we're flat broke and with an electric bill like that, I don't know how it's going to get paid, so I'm anticipating our electric will be shut off next month. I have no idea when or if my landlord has had the...
  6. gyverbabe

Here's the link to the video my husband shot. When he turned on all the breakers, the outside unit didn't come on. I'll go out and check it later, but it's warmer outside, so the heat is turned off. http://www.youtube.com/user/GyverX?feature=mhum I checked our bills, and they are accurate...
  7. gyverbabe

Answer: The coldest it's been has been in the teens, but most of the time it's in the 20s and 30s. As for insulation, I don't know, we do have attic insulation, it's a house that was build in the 1940s and has not been updated in many years. No windows or doors left open, and while we don't...
  8. gyverbabe

Our bill was over $600 in a small 600 square foot house. We've tried the meter test where you shut every thing off, and when you turn everything back on, the meter moves very slowly. when you turn the central heat breaker back on, it starts spinning very fast. Our cooling bills last summer...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks