Search results

1. Marcwd

Replace drain basket in bathtub

Yes, I see the tube that sits on the overflow riser. It has a tab with a hole which, no doubt, was the former connection point for raising and lowering it. (The actual drain closing mechanism must have been removed at some point because the tube is in the lowered position and yet the drain, of...
  2. Marcwd

Thanks, hj. Your comments lend additional weight to my not attempting to remove the basket. The "remote overflow drain" to which you refer -- Is that the section of vertical drain piping that rises above the normal water line and stops there? Also, what about my original idea of simply...
  3. Marcwd

You make a good argument against my proceeding with this project for now. Nothing is leaking at the moment; The only thing driving this is the appearance of the basket. (I just had the tub refinished and I originally thought that I could find some sort of chrome flange to cover the basket.)...
  4. Marcwd

I just looked over the setup again. The trap was replaced at some point with plastic parts. It's fitted in between the lower end of the vertical pipe (to which the shoe output pipe connects) and the branch of the cast iron Y.
  5. Marcwd

I am able to be without the tub for a while, so I'm not too concerned about that. Just trying to get an idea whether I could likely be successful in just removing and replacing the basket on this vintage tub. If the consensus here is that the shoe would almost assuredly need replacement as...
  6. Marcwd

I don't understand the implications of a lead trap to a basket (and, possibly, a shoe) replacement. Could you kindly elaborate?
  7. Marcwd

My DIY ability is limited, at best, to removing and replacing the basket. I would not attempt to replace the shoe myself. I'm trying to determine whether to give it a shot myself or go immediately to Plan B (hire a plumber).
  8. Marcwd

I am reviving this thread in advance of my attempting to replace the corroding tub basket in my 1920's-era cast-iron tub. What is the likelihood of being able to remove the basket without destroying the shoe and, if the shoe remains intact, finding a matching basket or adapter bushing such...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks