Search results

1. Khayes

Question about tamper-resistant outlets

Thanks again everyone. Yes, I know the prices vary greatly. I think I'll replace one outlet with a commercial grade one and see if it makes a difference before investing in many more.
  2. Khayes

Question about tamper-resistant outlets

Hi - we have purchased a 2-year-old home which has all TR outlets. I assume this is code now. Inserting plugs is challenging but we've gotten the hang of it. Problem is several of the outlets won't keep the plug once it's inserted. The slightest pressure disconnects it, sometimes even the weight...
  3. Khayes

Price Pfister faucet stem replacement

I have a faucet that is leaking under the base of the stem. I think it is an old PF but I cannot find any id to be sure. It has the really tall plastic knob handles, around 25 years old. I removed the stem cartridge and found a match at HD, a Danco 12H-6H/C. In the package with the stem is a red...
  4. Khayes

Tub surround question

I've just finished installing a new Roman tub faucet where I had to remove a section of tile and backer board to gain access to remove the old fixtures and install the new ones. The builder did not provide an access panel. My question is: do I have to go back an re-install backer board or can I...
  5. Khayes

Pop-Up Drain Assembly question

Thanks Jim - I went out and bought another pop up assembly and used the bar, with a few bends, to jump over to the down rod. It works fine. Ken
  6. Khayes

Pop-Up Drain Assembly question

I know this is pretty basic. I have 2 new vanities with undermount sinks. The sinks are Kohler with the drain holes in the middle of the basins. The problem I have is the pop-up linkage is not long enough to reach the pull-up rod in the faucet. How do you handle this? All the older sinks I've...
  7. Khayes

Hey! I never woudla thought of that: your ideas for plumbing EXTRAS in a remodel

When we remodeled our kitchen I added an air-activated garbage disposal switch in the counter top. No more flipping a wall switch with wet hands!
  8. Khayes

Water-stained basement wall

Next week I am going to take care of several handyman projects for a lady trying to get her deceased mother's house ready to sell. One of the jobs involves so-called water stains on a basement wall and they want it painted. I have not seen the wall yet and I don't have a picture. They did not...
  9. Khayes

Light in crawl space

Thanks guys - that's what I suspected.
  10. Khayes

Light in crawl space

I want to install a single light in our crawl space with a switch near the access door. I want to tap into a line feeding a receptacle to the room just above the crawl space. The circuit is 20amp/#12Guage. Is it allowable to run a #14G leg off that circuit for the new light? Thanks for any advice.
  11. Khayes

Rough estimate of the cost to switch from gas to electric

Thatguy - you have one creepy avatar! :)
  12. Khayes

Please help with Kohler K-304 shower valve

HJ - you are exactly right! There was a white deposit on the seam. I contacted Kohler and they overnighted me a new set of the inner parts and she's working beautifully - at least for now. I know it's risky buying tent sale items but I paid $20 for a valve and trim that Lowe's sells for $154 so...
  13. Khayes

Jimbo - I was asking for help. If I had not mentioned that, would you have anything helpful to offer? Is it junk? Do I just start over with another valve? I've installed 5 or 6 valves before and never had this problem.
  14. Khayes

I am trying to install a K304 valve in a bath remodel for my daughter and her husband. The wall is still open and here's my dilemma. The valve was disassembled in the box - I bought it from a plumbing supply house in another city, and it was one of their tent sale items. The Kohler instructions...
  15. Khayes

St. Thomas Quattro

It's also a terrible waste of perfectly good Gummi Bears!
  16. Khayes

Setting mosaic floor tile

Hi - I'm getting ready to do a bath floor tile installation using 12x12 mosaic sheets (Black/White pinwheel pattern). Any tips for applying the thinset? I've done mosaics before on backsplashes and always wind up with the thinset oozing up thr ough the tile. On a small area it's not that bad to...
  17. Khayes

Methane Odor in Basement Bathroom

We had a similar problem in a house years back - would get the odor in the basement after it rained or after a large amount of water usage, ie. running the clothes washer (which was also in the basement). It turned out to be a section of crushed field line going to my septic tank. Once I had...
  18. Khayes

Tile over greenboard?

Not so sure about using mastic - I seem to remember that mastic should not be used in wet areas - I would go with the CBU and thinset.
  19. Khayes

Wainscoting on bathroom walls?

Azek makes a nice beadboard product that I've used in 2 BR remodels. You can't get it at Lowe's or HD, however.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks