Search results

1. K9mlxj

New anode rod on 20 year old gas water heater?

Have a 20 year old GE gas water heater. Put in a new thermocouple a few years back. The water heater still works totally fine. Only that water is showing rust coming out. Never replaced the anode rod on this water heater before. Would there be potential problem removing the old anode rod...
  2. K9mlxj

Swiss Madison Tropez 1-piece toilet (side-flush) install question

Looking to a 1-piece ADA toilet in a small bathroom. Everything costs more nowadays. So I looked into this Swiss Madison St Tropez 1-piece (side-flush) toilet. It's a heavy toilet at 107lb. It has a Vortex flush similar to Toto's tornado flush. It uses a 2" flapper...
  3. K9mlxj

Adding ground wire from old 2-prong outlet to copper pipe - code compliant?

Hi, Is running ground wire in the crawl space from old 2-prong electrical outlet (clamped) to copper piping NEC code compliant? It's 100% copper piping in the house, and the copper piping goes underground 16 inches and runs for 60 ft before it gets to the water meter by the curbside. I...
  4. K9mlxj

Temporary water leak inside when water heater starts

Hi, I come across my 40 gallon GE gas water heater (more than 10 years old) pilot light going out a couple of times. When I re-lit the pilot light and turned on the water heater afterward, I'd always hear water drip sound inside the water heater -- until water heated up in the tank. Then the...
  5. K9mlxj

Garbage Disposal - debris at outlet tee (baffled)

Hi there, I'm looking at the kitchen sink plumbing and I am seeing debris left at the baffled outlet tee. I just wonder if there is a way to to allow debris from the disposal to drain better without doing two P-traps. Couple of questions: I wonder if adding a disposal elbow would help...
  6. K9mlxj

Updating laundry plumbing - vent and drain pipes

Hi, I posted a thread a while earlier to upgrade the existing washer drain in the garage to 2" drain pipe (although too busy haven't got a wkend to do yet). I am right now thinking about adding a 20" wall-mount utility sink, and wanting to swap the positions of dryer and washer (see the first...
  7. K9mlxj

15" space from center of toilet to obstacle...

Hi, While looking @ toilet placement, I am aware of the code requirement of 15" min. space from center of toilet to next fixture. However looking at this photo from a hotel bathroom, the toilet seems to be so close to the glass fixture of the shower it seems to be less than 15"? Is this still...
  8. K9mlxj

Garage washing machine : changing from 1" drain to 2" drain pipe

In my garage it has the old 1 1/2" drain pipe for the washing machine. I put in a lint trap a while back and once there was a small amount of lint water would spill out from the 1 1/2" stand pipe. I don't think washing machines have lint trap nowadays? I am thinking about changing the laundry...
  9. K9mlxj

Moving toilet location and venting

Hi there, I have 2 bathrooms where the two toilets in both bathrooms sitting back to back, with the main vent located in the wall between the two toilets in the two bathrooms on each side of the wall. Now I want to move the toilet in one bathroom about 20 inches to the left -- away from the...
  10. K9mlxj

Kohler Santa Rosa w/ AquaPiston reliable?

I'm looking into Kohler Santa Rosa K3810 1-piece. Is it better than AS Fairfield 1-piece? Worth a try? Things I'd like to confirm: - porcelain bowl quality - AquaPiston - does it work reliably (heard the old version's seal had leaks, newer yellow seal is better?) - flushing completely? Thx.
  11. K9mlxj

Correct tank-to-bowl gasket for American Standard Cadet 2 toilet?

Hi there, I had to replace the tank-to-bowl gasket for American Standard Cadet 2 toilet a week ago. I used the Fluidmaster 15-Piece Tank-to-Bowl Kit but it shows 1/8" gap between the tank and the bowl. As the gasket has a bevel funnel bottom, when water is filled up the tank would tilt...
  12. K9mlxj

Need to replace this toilet flange (corner broken off)?

Hi there, Have a tile guy come install tile in the bathroom. However when he was adjusting the cement board position, he used a sledge hammer to loosen up where the cement board met the CI toilet flange (the cement board was slightly over the flange along one edge). One big area along that...
  13. K9mlxj

tank gas water heater questions (quality and brand comparisons)...

Hi all, Have a couple of gas water heater-related questions: 1. Just wonder about those ultra low NOx gas water heaters on the market today. HD seems to be phasing out the low-NOx gas water heaters and bringing in a lot of ultra-low NOx units instead. Definitely higher price (25% more)...
  14. K9mlxj

p-trap location Changing from wall hung sink to vanity sink

p-trap location - Changing from wall hung sink to vanity sink Hi folks, Here's another plumbing issue I'm coming across. I had a wall hung sink in the bathroom that was there probably for a long time. I am installing a vanity sink instead. With the vanity sink I purchased, the location...
  15. K9mlxj

Elbow joint on CI pipe (kitchen sink) -- odd angle?

Hi there, Here is a picture of the drain's current hook-up in our kitchen sink. I have been wondering--if it is a good hook-up. The reason is that 1. The CI elbow is a 45 degree elbow. Is that a correct elbow--or should it be a 90 degree elbow? 2. And then the extension used by the...
  16. K9mlxj

Hole in Galvanized waste pipe :(

I had a slow water problem today in the shower. I put in some drain cleaner. Afterward, I discovered a hole on a short galvnized pipe joining two CI pipe joints. :( Hole in pipe - Close View: Another view (from the other side): (1) From shower drain *(2) Hole in the short galvanized...
  17. K9mlxj

Seal around shower head/faucet valve/tub spout

Hi there, I've just installed new tub/shower valve recently. I wonder now when I put in shower head/valve cover plate/spout, if I need to seal/caulk around them. Obviously there is opening into the wall around these few spots. I expect to wash the tile wall like once a week with soap/water...
  18. K9mlxj

Porcelain surface eaten up in bathtub...

Porcelain/Enamel surface eaten up in bathtub... Hi there, I have a good old cast iron tub. Recently I notice there is a trail of the porcelain/enamel surface eaten up -- perhaps by chemical? It's right below the tub shower door. I think that trail line goes 1/16" under the rest of the...
  19. K9mlxj

Regrouting tile bathroom wall

Since I have never done tile these might be simple questions to many. Basically I'd like to regrout the tile bathroom wall. The current grout color is dark grey/black and I want to change to white, as the tile color is white. One thing I notice is that the tiles are stacked against each...
  20. K9mlxj

Replacing old galvanized water supply line from meter to entry at house

Hi there, Was looking into some irrigation issues earlier this week. Some folks suggested I still have old galvanized water supply line underground going from the water meter by the side strip area outside the house to the entry in the backyard at my house. Changing that old pipe out would...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks