Search results

1. julesy

Reviving old well for irrigation system

Hi, I bought a house which has an 8" well. The well was semi buried in foliage and no pump equipment was attached to give me an idea of what had been running originally. I'm hoping to revive this well and run an irrigation system from it. I'm a novice, so please bear with me. I ran some...
  2. julesy

Replacing door latch mechanism on sliding door

Thanks. I figure out how to do it in the end. It was as Agu suggested, you simply remove the two screws on the end of the door and the lock can squeeze out. As the lock is longer than the hole, I had just assumed, there must be a different way to get it out. Thanks all.
  3. julesy

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I removed the handles as shown in one of the pics. After seeing no other way to do this, I looked at opening up the door frame, but it seems to have plastic "welded" type joints and I could see no way to get the lock out. I'm stumped.
  4. julesy

Hi, I am trying to replace the lock on this sliding door. However, I cannot see anyway to get the existing lock out. I have had the door off its tracks and looked at the top and bottom, but am stumped as to how to remove and replace this lock. Is it possible that some doors are designed...
  5. julesy

Faulty breaker?

Hi DonL, I performed all the work myself. I did have a friend who is an electrician take a look at it once complete and he was happy with what I had done.
  6. julesy

Faulty breaker?

Thanks for the help i received in this forum. I just wanted to give an update on the topic. There was nothing wrong with the breaker. As a number of you suggested, it was two circuits that had been connected together. It was in a closet light junction box, tucked away. I was able to correct...
  7. julesy

Faulty breaker?

I believe he was referring to the comment about running a separate ground wire to the sub panel, at the start of post #17, I have included it below
  8. julesy

Faulty breaker?

If I were to replace the sub panel and feed it with a grounded conductor, tied back into the main panel in the same fashion as all the other circuits, with the neutral isolated in the sub panel, then how would this ensure a parallel grounding path? I ask this for my understanding, not to be...
  9. julesy

Faulty breaker?

Well, I talked about replacing the sub panel (which of course would include using correctly sized breakers), grounding it and fixing the back fed circuit. Yes, there are still some areas in the wiring that are far from perfect, but I fail to see how this would make it worse than it already is...
  10. julesy

Faulty breaker?

Is there any reason why I would not be able to replace the sub panel once I have corrected the back feed? Can I run a separate ground from the main to the panel, or should I run a new 4 conductor wire? Once I have a grounded sub panel, I can then update the wiring that feeds from it, opening...
  11. julesy

Faulty breaker?

I have not ruled out hiring an electrician to get involved. I am still in the process of identifying what I believe is incorrect. If I never poked around or asked questions, then I would most likely still be using the electrics in this house, blindly assuming that all is fine. I would be...
  12. julesy

Faulty breaker?

Yes, you are right, I have changed it to say ground.
  13. julesy

Faulty breaker?

Hi, Thanks to all for the quick responses. It appears that there is *most likely* nothing wrong with the breaker, but something is back feeding the circuit as suggested by some of you in this thread. This is also evidenced by the fact that the breaker that powers the sub panel and another...
  14. julesy

Faulty breaker?

Hi, I have a main panel (unfortunately without a main breaker) and a sub panel. The sub panel is fed from the main panel via a dual pole breaker. One red and one black connection with some pretty hefty looking wire. When I turn off the dual pole breaker (dual switch connected), the black...
  15. julesy

Adding new external clean out

Ok, I was using the terms incorrectly. I meant putting in a "combination Y-1/8 bends" which was what I had pictured in my head. "Not vertical in the top of the pipe" meant that I will be angling the cleanout 45 degrees off vertical to miss the deck. I was under the impression that you could use...
  16. julesy

You know, I had thought about putting in a clean out for both directions, but felt it was unecessary. I have just replaced all the drainage with ABS and there are plenty of cleanouts upstream as needed. Yes, I was aware that you have to use a Sanitary tee whenever the connection was not vertical...
  17. julesy

Thanks hj for your advice. Yes, I know direct is better, but when You have a line under a deck, you don't have much choice. I will run the clean out at an angle rather than vertical, so it misses the deck. Now I have the hole dug at one side of the existing clean out, it will be easier to...
  18. julesy

Hi, I have a 3" line leaving my house with a cleanout about 4" from the foundation wall. The line was originally iron until it reached the cleanout which is clay. In solving a backup in my system, I discovered that the iron pipe passing under the foundation had a good sized hole in it. I have...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks