Search results

1. Bob NH

Wiring diagram for bedroom

Regarding the house: 1. The bathroom requires at least one 20 Amp circuit with receptacles GFI protected. That circuit may also serve lights in the bathroom or you can serve the lights with another circuit. 2. The kitchen must have two 20 amp GFI protected circuits serving the counters and...
  2. Bob NH

Dripping Shower Head when tub is being filled!

Think of your problem as not really a problem. The drip from the shower head occurs only when you are trying to fill the tub. If a bit drips from the shower it is all going to end up in the tub anyway. Unless you are interested in the pracice of ripping out and replacing the wall, and...
  3. Bob NH

Leak under slab???

I had occasion to use an infrared camera (by a company called FLIR) inside a building to assess heat leaks. As I was moving from one area to another I noticed a very dark line across a carpet-covered concrete floor. It turned out that the dark (cooler place) was where the municipal water supply...
  4. Bob NH

2 Properties Connecting to Submersible Well Pump

A problem that can arise with common equipment grounds connected to two services (Your Case 2) is that if the power company neutral is lost at one service, then the ground connecting the two services carries the unbalanced current from the service that has lost the connection to the power...
  5. Bob NH

Shallow well low output - how to fix?

You might be able to get enough water if you can bore a hole into the bottom of the dug well with a post hole auger on an extension pipe. Another possibility would be to dig a hole a few feet deep into the dry pond. I watered a garden this summer from a hole dug about 5' deep in a dry creek...
  6. Bob NH

Tub molding

You could try a piece of quarter round or "shoe moulding" in white plastic, which would be quite flexible. Then secure it to the floor with small/thin stainless ring-shank nails at frequent intervals. The moulding would have to be wide enough to everlap the floor covering by enough to hold...
  7. Bob NH

Is there a 200 amp breaker box with 100 amp main

You could buy a separate 100 amp main for the new panel but it would cost almost as much as the panel. If you go to HDepot you can buy a 200 Amp Homeline panel with a number of breakers. Additional breakers are as cheap as any you can get. Run some appropriate size wire for 100 Amps (2...
  8. Bob NH

How can I pump water from a 2" casing???

The top of the water is at 35 ft. NO SUCTION PUMP will lift the water that far. You need a deep well jet pump or a small diameter submersible pump that you can drop into the well. There are deep well jet kits that will work in a 2" well but you need a "packer" system that has one pipe going...
  9. Bob NH

Help! CI Hot Water Radiator sits higher than the unions.

That radiator looks just like one from which I cut 3/8" off the feet about a month ago in the West Roxbury section of Boston. It took about 20 seconds with a cutoff wheel on a 4.5" angle grinder. The bottom of the foot was solid after I got done. The manufacturing process for those old...
  10. Bob NH

Replacing Shower and Tub Valve Set - Questions

I am considering replacing back-to-back shower/tub valves (Moen Dialcet) originally installed in 1965. The valve is dripping on one and the diverter drips to the tub spout on the other. Questions: 1. How much improvement will I get with a new valve? The heads have been replaced and are...
  11. Bob NH

A "While I'm In There..." Question

I had a piece of 1.5" copper drain from a kitchen sink fail by corrosion at the bottom of the pipe. The corrosion kept thinning it until it got so thin that the residual fabrication stresses caused it to fold and crack. The water isn't bad (lake water), dishwasher and disposer on system, and no...
  12. Bob NH

Roof structural issue

Here is a diagram of typical framing for a hip roof. http://www.blocklayer.com/roof/roofeng.aspx Are there any ties at the top of the wall that would make it into a truss? There is usually a ceiling and the joists tie the roof framing together. What is the roof sheathing? Plywood sheathing...
  13. Bob NH

Driving a well in cattails ?

You would be better off running a 2" pipe out to the water with a foot valve at the end. You can a roll of 2" poly pipe, or you can buy or make up 20' lengths of 2" PVC and connect then with Dresser couplings or unions or Fernco couplings. Put the end of the pipe in water as deep as you can...
  14. Bob NH

possible to increase water pressure?

The pump is a J05; the N stands for "Not Tank Mounted". The pump is obsolete but you can still get the required nozzle and venturi. The parts list at the link says the high pressure nozzle is AN019 and the venturi is AD3528...
  15. Bob NH

Backup Power and 1/2 HP Flotec 230V Deep Well Submersible

I bought a 5.5 kW Kipor diesel generator because I use fuel oil for heating. Therefore, I always have fuel on site. I checked the generator capacity by turning on a 1.2 ton (14,400 BTU per hour) A/C and then started a 1 HP motor on my table saw. The generator didn't have any problem. I...
  16. Bob NH

possible to increase water pressure?

It depends on which 1/2 HP shallow well jet pump you have. If you have the J5S it probably won't work reliably at 40/60. If you have the J5SH it will work at 40/60. http://www.goulds.com/pdf/7297.pdf If you look at the nozzle and venturi part numbers in the table at the link you will see...
  17. Bob NH

best toilet to go kit for $100

Buy a bowl only and provide a bucket for people to fill and use. Provide instructions on how to use it, and to keep some water available if required to fill the trap after the flush. In most cases the trap will not empty completely. I just tested a 6-qt flush on a 1.6 gallon toilet. It worked...
  18. Bob NH

Methane in well water

If I were using air to strip methane I would want to be sure that the methane/air mixture doesn't reach explosive concentrations. The explosive limits found at the link are 5% to 15% methane in air. If enough air is added it should be possible to keep the concentration below the limit...
  19. Bob NH

Switching From Well to City Water

You should think carefully about what you want to do. You may want to use the well water for irrigation. You could do that by connecting the well system, including the tank, to the outside distribution system. If you have a city sewer system they usually charge for sewer usage for all water...
  20. Bob NH

Internal cable clamps and old wiring

3M and many others have heatshrink tubing and wrap-around repair kits for ranges of voltages exceeding 1000 Volts. Many meet UL 224 requirements for cable jacketing. They can certainly be used safely to replace or repair jacketing on NM cable without risk of burning the house down...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks