Search results

1. CapstanRec

Detached Shed Plumbing Job

Hi everyone, This forum is such a great resource. I'm in the process of fixing a broken sewer line from my detached shed. The problem was detected when I bought the house in my plumbing inspection. My shed used to have a washing machine, dryer, and toilet. This is what I found mid...
  2. CapstanRec

T0T0 Drake toilet product review

Just wanted to stop by and say I installed a Toto Drake II with CEFIONTECT last night in my upstairs bathroom. It installed easily and works great. I really like the double cyclone flush. As someone mentioned in a previous post, the tank I received had a small section on the back right cut out (C...
  3. CapstanRec

Re-Occuring Lavatory Blockage

I received a bill last week from the first company that was unable to clear the drain. What would you suggest in a case like this? They sent someone out and charged me for an hour of labor, even though the plumber (in my opinion) didn't know what he was doing. He told me the drain was totally...
  4. CapstanRec

I would have preferred do be home for both plumbing appointments, but my schedule didn't allow it so I had someone let the plumbers in and wait till the work was done. So all my details are second hand. I only spoke with the plumbers on the phone. Having said that, my "sitter" made a comment...
  5. CapstanRec

Wise words! I called another plumber. He said the clog/rust was at the last 90 outside and ran his snake through several times and cleared it without a problem. He reconnected the lavatory, filled the bowl 4 times to flush out any remaining loose debris. The water drained right out. Cost me...
  6. CapstanRec

That is a valid point, too. I used a reputable company, and one I've used in the past... however, they sent out a different guy this time. I reconnected the drain last night and poured in water until the point it backed up into the lav again... and NOTHING came out the vertical cast iron...
  7. CapstanRec

Thanks for the replies. I always appreciate the insight. I have a little more information after working on the line yesterday evening. I attached an isomertric of my drain. A few notes: 1. The 2" cast iron to the left of dotted line is running vertical up the side of my house. This pipe is...
  8. CapstanRec

I'm having a recurring problem with a galvanized lav drain... About a year ago my upstairs lavatory drain was draining slowly. I borrowed a friends manual 25' snake and with some patience I was able to clear it. I could run the water full blast with no backing up. But slowly over time the...
  9. CapstanRec

Toto Aquia dual flush toilet product review, comments and posts.

I installed a Toto Aquia III this past Friday. It took me longer to read and understand the instructions than to actually do it. I installed a new brass nipple and 1/4 turn valve as well and the whole process just took a few hours. The extra flange and mounting hardware is a great idea so if the...
  10. CapstanRec

3" Cast Iron Cleanout (in Wye? Removal

It's been several weeks but my bathroom plumbing is complete and everything is working great. Just wanted to say thanks for the help !!! The tie into the cast iron was the most difficult. The 3" in picture picks up the lavatory upstream via 3"x2" wye; which is exactly what hj and others...
  11. CapstanRec

I spent another 10 minutes today and was able to remove the cleanout adapter. Also, I had my house shored and leveled roughly 2 years ago. I had the shoring company cut the vertical cast iron before they raised my house. After raising, there was an inch or so gap. I temporarily put that no...
  12. CapstanRec

Grounding questions

The comment on eddy currents (i.e. ground loop) is correct. In general, each branch circuit should have one path to ground. It's extremely critical to avoid ground loops when designing audio equipment. In the home, it's not as critical but I still think it's best practive to have only one path...
  13. CapstanRec

It's just wye oriented to accept the vertical stack into the wye part of the fitting. So the wye enters the ground at 45 degrees. The straight part of wye has the cleanout adpater in it. It did have a threaded cap but the part of the cleanout adapter that accepts the screw is entirely rusted...
  14. CapstanRec

My main cast iron stack ties into an upside down wye which connects to a hub and piece of cast entering the ground at a 45 degree angle. This ties into my main sewer line somewhere downstream. The straight side of the wye had a cracked (in half) cleanout cover. As a result, from time to time...
  15. CapstanRec

Wiring diagram for bedroom

A receptacle must be 6' from any point along a wall... 6' is the typical length of a cord on a lamp or other electronic device. If the receptacles are placed in this matter, an extension chord will rarely be used in the home... and the less extension cords the better.
  16. CapstanRec

Wiring diagram for bedroom

Per current NEC, bedroom outlets (defined by NEC as both receptacles and lights) are required to be on Arc Fault Circuit Interupter breakers (AFCIs). These breakers are expensive and that's why many new homes combine lights and receptacles in bedrooms. It reduces the number of overall AFCIs. In...
  17. CapstanRec

Requirements to meet Plumbing code in New Orleans, LA

I know this is an extremely old topic but I came across this and wanted to mention that New Orleans has a supplemental code that you have to pay $97 to get a copy. I don't know why it's not posted publicly. The comment that a line with a toilet requires a 4" drain and 3" vent is correct. I've...
  18. CapstanRec

Fixing My Incorrectly Plumbed Bathroom: Isometric

I think I really do understand what you've been telling me for two days now. I went back and re-read section 911 (Wet Venting) in the LA PLumbing Code: 911.1 Single Bathroom Groups A single bathroom group of fixtures may be installed with the drain from a back vented lavatory, kitchen...
  19. CapstanRec

Thanks hj, but the 1-1/2" lav drain and 2" vent are all I have to work with. That's just the way it was plumbed. They stick through my floor. The lav vent ties into the 2" vent somewhere in the wall above the lav flood rim and then the 2" extends through the roof. The bathroom itself is already...
  20. CapstanRec

Good point on the coloring... it's just the way my AutoCAD defaults are set up. I adjusted and reattached the same 1st image. As for the dry vent, the lav drain is only 1-1/2" and wyes into the 3" ... From my understanding, that is a wet vent (which is ok) but it is too small to meet my...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks