Search results

1. Carmel Corn

Blue Angel Sump Pump - BCAP50

If I'm not mistaken, Blue Angel might be made by Wayne (or vice versa). Sorry, but I am not a fan of their products. They're better than Simer/Flotec, but not as good as Zoeller or Hydromatic brands.
  2. Carmel Corn

Sump Pump cycles frequently

Hard to imagine not enough room for a Vertical Master float if it is attached to the main discharge pipe, but that being the case....here is an alternative switch that allows you to customize the on/off levels and does not require a long tether to operate...
  3. Carmel Corn

Sump: confused - need primary and backup.

If you decide to keep the M-53, I would recommend zip-tie it in the up or on position and buy an external switch such as an SJE Rhombus Vertical Master model. The pump motor itself is capable of long reliable life....it's just the built-in switch that I don't like....only good for a maximum of...
  4. Carmel Corn

Basic questions about Zoeller pumps and installation

An N-53 with an SJE Rhombus vertical master is an excellent combination. I personally use this switch with Hydromatic pumps. Connection to pump is easy with a PVC adapter (1.5 inch threaded male/1.5 inch smooth female end)...can be found at any hardware store. A second N-53 powered by an...
  5. Carmel Corn

Opinions - HydroCheck HiLo Switch

IMHO - I would not rely on this as your primary switch. Electronic switches can fail for a variety of reasons including accumulation of scale. If this is the way you want to go, then make sure you keep it clean! I prefer SJE Rhombus switches....either the vertical master or in some...
  6. Carmel Corn

Reputation of ABS Robusta sump pump / sump pump configuration issues

Don't know much about your brand of pump...If it doesn't say Hydromatic or Zoeller, I don't pay much attention. Regarding your pump....is your switch plug a piggyback design? If so, then disconnect your pump motor plug from the switch plug and buy an SJE rhombus vertical master #1003590...
  7. Carmel Corn

Self-testing backup sump pumps compatible with sealed batteries?

Bear in mind that Basement Watchdog conveniently makes their own line of backup batteries for sump pumps. Other reliable brands like Zoeller do as well, but Zoeller will also indicate usage of sealed AGM batteries as acceptable. Other backup mechanisms like SUMPRO used to recommend 2 AGM...
  8. Carmel Corn

Zoeller Aquanot vs. Basement Sentry?

IMHO - my 2 cents goes to the Aquanot II. The simplicity plus pure raw pumping ability is what I like. It can still fit in a narrow pit and the only unusual thing I have done is to customize a flat bottom to the pit so the Aquanot stands perfectly straight. You can also vary the level and...
  9. Carmel Corn

Sump Pump woes

I prefer the Hydromatic vs. Zoeller as my primary pump....partly due to the piggyback switch design used by Hydromatic. I will disagree on the diaphragm switch recommendation as I like the SJE Rhombus vertical master mechanical. I specifically like the VS33 because of the upper sleeve bearing...
  10. Carmel Corn

Backup Sump Pump (battery)

Deep cycle batteries are most often found in golf carts. They are usually a 6-volt, not 12 volt. They tend to have thicker plates and can withstand the constant charging/draining better than 12v batteries. You can buy 2 6-volts and wire them in a series (not parallel) to create a 12v system...
  11. Carmel Corn

Backup Sump Pump (battery)

Some good advice above. If you are going to use multiple batteries, I would further add that you should: 1. Make sure they are as similar as possible (same amp hour rating, age and don't mix AGM's with wet cells even if they are both 12v). 2. Make sure each one is desulphated individually...
  12. Carmel Corn

backup sump pump - weep hole?

Are you sure your checkvalve is functioning properly? You might want to consider replacing that as well. There are different schools of thought on whether the 1/8 hole is needed. I do not use one on my primary the pit because it is very active, the on/off level is set slightly higher, and the...
  13. Carmel Corn

Sump pit liner

Generally the answer is yes. Some additional small holes towards the bottom half have a slight impact to lowering the water table, but also serve to help keep the croc/liner in place by relieving hydrostatic pressure.
  14. Carmel Corn

Water-powered sump pumps

IMHO - water powered systems lack pumping capacity vs. high end battery powered pumps (ex. Zoeller Aquanot II is what I use). Check the specs on any of the models you listed vs. the model I referenced above. If you have weak water pressure, then their effectiveness drops even more. Some...
  15. Carmel Corn

Constant flow

"I didn't realize water could flow in the black tubing(drain tiles) it seems like it wouldn't flow back up?" Good question - remember the drain tile piping is "below" your floor level. As water accumulates and flows into your drain tiles, the pipes themselves are not very full with the...
  16. Carmel Corn

Constant flow

It should not cause any damage to test this. As an alternative, you can simply wait an hour or two once the water levels off. After that, plug in your pump. After it finishes its first cycle, I think you will see is an increase of volume gushing in from the drain tile pipes. This will cause...
  17. Carmel Corn

Constant flow

IMHO - one of the key points is that the water level stops at the drain tile level. I suspect it's because the drain tiles are filling vs. the water table leveling off naturally. Only way to be sure is to have them wait long enough to see if the water eventually starts rising again after the...
  18. Carmel Corn

Constant flow

An active sump pit is a reality for many of us. It's just a question of being more proactive to manage the risk. Replacing your pump and switches before they wear out is a must, the question is how often. I've seen good pumps fail in 2 years (primarily because of faulty switches). If you...
  19. Carmel Corn

Constant flow

The reason why the water level stops rising is because the water is accumulating in the drain tiles (black pipe). The water in your pit rises to a point where the additional water flows into the drain tiles such that they fill up. At some point, the drain tiles will become saturated and the...
  20. Carmel Corn

Constant flow

Bob has provided excellent advice. The SJE Rhombus vertical master switch is commonly mounted on pumps as part of the factory setup. For example, Hydromatic pumps connect a 'shortened' version of the vertical master via a metal L-bracket to the pump body via single bolt. Do you know what kind...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks