Search results

1. Stu27

Vent for Kitchen Sink with Large Window

Here's the detail of the as-built (1984) toilet vent. The lavatory drain is 1-1/2 inch to the wye. Virginia uses the 2009 IPC. Is this vent arrangement code compliant?
  2. Stu27

I didn't draw those details. The toilet is wet vented off the lav sink (original build).
  3. Stu27

Thanks hj. I'll see what the inspector says about this updated setup. I was struggling with the island vent option… keeping both the foot vent and the drain with the joist bay. It seems while the foot vent could sit in the joist bay in the basement on it's way to the nearest wall, the...
  4. Stu27

Part of our kitchen remodel involves the addition of a large window (12 ft) with a centered kitchen sink. How might one vent the sink in this configuration? I could put an AAV in there, but because I have an existing roof vent for the kitchen sink, I'm thinking why not try and use it...
  5. Stu27

Faucet / toilet supply risers and stop valve preferences?

I have a few final details remaining to finish up my master bathroom remodel. Faucet / toilet risers and stop valves come in several varieties and I'm wondering if there is a clear preference in the trade for one type over another. I have the following options available to me at the store...
  6. Stu27

DWV Layout for Bathroom Remodel (2)

thanks for the new ideas! allows for a much more efficient drain layout. a few changes since the shower can be easily dry vented down the joist bay to the old lav vent and the WC dry vent is not needed (wonder why it originally tied into the 3" waste at all...) - removed one of the two 1/16...
  7. Stu27

geniescience -- good call on re-using the old lav vent. it is spot-on centered over the new shower drain and it is 7'-2" from shower trap weir to center of vent pipe (8' trap to vent on 2" trap for VA). Can I now go back to 1.5" on the new lav drain down to its tie-in point near the shower...
  8. Stu27

as an aside -- here's the original bathroom layout… no cleanouts and a long (5-1/2 ft) 1.5" tub trap arm to get to the lav wet vent. VA allows a run of 6' from trap to vent on a 1.5" trap.
  9. Stu27

hmmm… cleanouts. Here's an adjustment to the drain layout that I believe addresses the cleanout requirements. Puts the drains back at 45deg. What'dya think? Tweaked the new vent -- previously, the vent was going straight up through the wall top plate (but it's an exterior wall - so...
  10. Stu27

Inspektor Ludwig -- makes complete sense to me now -- tying the shower trap arm to the lav waste… (and as far back as my first post, HJ pointed out that the second vent (2") was useless -- it just took me this long to understand (i) that I didn't need a dedicated shower dry vent, that wet...
  11. Stu27

geniescience -- Thanks for the thoughts. I see where you were going with that idea now. Let me clear up one detail: the wall for the lav piping is a half height wall that I plan to add to the room for the lav, but it doesn't exist in the bathroom. Figured I'd use a deeper vanity top. The...
  12. Stu27

In this version, the shower drain is run in a more direct manner (which ignores the easy access it had previously to a wall with a vent). I like the direct routing of the 2" shower drain. The centerline length from the weir to the 3" vent is roughly 9 feet. That length requires some type of...
  13. Stu27

geniescience -- I wound up with this spaghetti drain layout trying to get the venting right and using existing joist holes. I was trying to avoid wet venting which I had blamed for previously poor tub drain performance, but have been corrected on that. If the drain layout were optimized for...
  14. Stu27

hj -- yes, I am using all existing holes in the joists (four total). The only change from the existing tub drain location is the preferred center drain for the shower which would add one new joist hole nearest to the shower trap, then pick up the original tub trap arm joist hole. The 2" drain...
  15. Stu27

I will move the 2" drain entering the 3" waste at the wye + 1/8 bend to downstream of the main vent (poor judgement on my part… copying the existing layout) Assuming that change will correct the toilet vent, how best to proceed with the lav and shower drains/vents... I can see (now) that...
  16. Stu27

Thanks to all for the feedback so far, I appreciate it! I've added some photos of the existing plumbing (as-built by home builder) for context. Some limitations… - I was trying to layout the drains so as not to bore any more holes in the floor joists (my thought here was to keep the floor...
  17. Stu27

The original tub was wet vented and had poor drain performance, so I was focused on finding a way to dry vent each new fixture. If the 2" vent were removed and if the the lav was running at the same time that the shower was in use, would the shower then be wet vented? If that were the case...
  18. Stu27

I put the wye and 1/8 bend in the same relative position (between the toilet and vent) as it was in the original layout for the tub drain. I could move it downstream to the other side of the main vent, if necessary. Software is VectorWorks.
  19. Stu27

Attached is a drawing of my dwv layout for a master bathroom remodel where we wish to move the lav, shower, and toilet to new locations. I tried to be much clearer than previous post, used 3D, and showed all vents this time. Lav drain is 1.5", shower drain is 2". Is this a good design, will...
  20. Stu27

DWV Layout for Bathroom Remodel

Focus. Got it. I'll keep questions on point. I'm new to forums… this thread was my second ever. Please ignore the proposed new layout drawing. I will put another together with the attic vent tie-in properly diagramed. Gotta get into the attic tonight to get some location dimensions for the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks