Search results

1. ENIGMA-2

Brine tank, 10 years in use ....

I finally got around to cleaning the brine tank today, it has been in continuous use for ten years. I have used Diamond Sun Gems pellets with Red Out from the beginning. I was very surprised to see very little dirt in in tank, a couple pieces of plastic salt wrapper, a piece of plastic from...
  2. ENIGMA-2

How to use the Hach 5B test kit?

5 grains of hardness for a new system, it's possible that the water heater still had some hard water in it and it's working it's way through the piping. If the value drops to one drop in a few days, the WH has replaced the water with softened water. If not, the softener may need to be adjusted...
  3. ENIGMA-2

Presently brine discharge goes in my septic - need to change that!

Brine will not hurt a properly functioning septic system. As your primary concern is the bubbling of the toilet, my guess is, you have a problem with venting. The first thing that comes to mind is one of your roof vents is plugged (birds and other animals like vents as they release warm air)...
  4. ENIGMA-2

Need help With Softner/Iron System

Would the use of a "red out" type of salt be a recommended move? I use Diamond Sun Gems with Red Out. On the bag it specifies that it's good for 2 ppm iron (I only have 0.99 ppm in my water).
  5. ENIGMA-2

Culligan Softener settings question - water too hard after power outage

Why don't you just call your local Culligan dealer and ask them to check your records. Worst case, have them do a service call, run a new water test and set up the softener correctly.
  6. ENIGMA-2

Softener. Iron has (almost) defeated me...

Don't recall if you ever mentioned it, but have you ever considered calling in a local water quality professional? Maybe there's something else going on here?
  7. ENIGMA-2

Low water pressure after finally refilling with salt

It's fairly easy to remive the valve and open the resin tank. If your not certain as to how to do this, I can try to explain it. First put the softener in bypass. Press and hold the select button to manually start a regeneration. (This is to relieve the pressure in the softener). After this...
  8. ENIGMA-2

Culligan Softener settings question - water too hard after power outage

Did the Culligan service rep write down the settings on the softener or owners manual when he installed?
  9. ENIGMA-2

Air gap installed on drain tubes (tee)....is this correct?

As long as the piping your plumber installed connects to the washing machine standpipe (before the trap) and not to the actual trap arm, you should not have a problem. As for a code issue, I would look to see if the "overflow" opens at least 18" above the washer trap weir. (It may never cause a...
  10. ENIGMA-2

Softener Drain Questions (almost got it figured out)

I don't know if it's code to connect into this clean out line, but if you do, you will need to vent the trap with an approved method. If your in an area that uses the UPC, you will need a vent pipe running either through the roof or sidewall. If your location has adopted the International codes...
  11. ENIGMA-2

Whole house water filter: Concerned about backwash from sewage

Yes it just slips into the end of the pipe. On my softener, I tied my flexible drain line to the copper piping with cable ties. Can always be removed without damage and holds tightly. I strongly recommend that this drain be secured aa the pressure can force it out of a slip fitting and end up...
  12. ENIGMA-2

Well yes and no. If the softener drain is connected to a standpipe, it would not be an indirect waste. If it drains to a sump, and the sump has a pump that pumps the waste to a sewer, that that would be an indirect waste.
  13. ENIGMA-2

No. He's not correct. I have ICC residential and commercial plumbing certification and I'm telling you he's dead wrong. (Also do plans review for locations using the UPC). The 1"requirement is required at every point where potable water exits the plumbing system. A softener "should" be gapped...
  14. ENIGMA-2

My Kenmore is 10 years old last December & salt tank is still clean. I use Diamond Sun Gems with Red Out.
  15. ENIGMA-2

Note that the minimum height of the standpipe should be 18"
  16. ENIGMA-2

Brine doesn't suck from tank

Manganese in water can cause this. In sufficient amounts it can foul softener resin beds. Around here, manganese broke down the galvanized well casings of all the homes in our subdivision and we got the black, goo throughout our plumbing. Discovered it when the water pump failed. It was packed...
  17. ENIGMA-2

Can hot water heater effect water softener/brine tank?

This a far-fetched thought, but could it be possible that you may have destroyed the resin with an excess of chlorine (bleach)?
  18. ENIGMA-2

Can hot water heater effect water softener/brine tank?

Sounds like you covered all your basis. You didn't accidentally leave the the softener in bypass, did you?
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks