Search results

1. Johnny-Canuck

Think I have an air-lock in a basement tap ... how do I clear it?

As part of a different issue, I totally drained my hot water tank from it's drain tap. (I just ran a hose from its drain to a tub on the floor above). After I did this, all the taps in the house worked normally, except for a basement workroom work tub that was relatively close to the hot water...
  2. Johnny-Canuck

>brand new< Bradford White gas water heater [mod: RG1PV50S6N] - not providing enough hot water. Why?

Apologies in advance for a veeeeerrrry looooooooooong post. But I'm stumped. Just before Christmas Day, I had a new rental water heater installed to service a WALK-IN tub that we had just added to our house about a month earlier. The new 50 U.S. Gal tank that was installed was a -> Bradford...
  3. Johnny-Canuck

An 'anal' question about the water supply for a fridge

I'm a handy senior but have never dealt with (or wanted to deal with) a fridge that required a water line before. However I finally gave in to a 'kitchen facelift' project which includes a new fridge ... that has one of the 'dreaded' ice and water dispensers on the front door. I can deal with...
  4. Johnny-Canuck

Improve available space under my kitchen's remodeled "corner sink"?

I originally installed my kitchen about 45 years ago as a DIYer when I used to be young and relatively limber. Our layout had a "corner sink" and at the time I tried to design the plumbing under the sink to maximize the available space as much possible (because there isn't much to begin with)...
  5. Johnny-Canuck

Trying to understand how I disconnect my old Maytag dishwasher's water supply

One of my first DIY plumbing jobs was to install a Maytag dishwasher in my kitchen over 35 years ago. It's done yeoman's service over the years, but its now time for it to go to dishwasher heaven, so I'm trying to disconnect its water (hot) supply line so I can start to remove it and then...
  6. Johnny-Canuck

Is there an adapter(/s) that will convert from "faucet aerator" thread to "hand held shower" thread

I have an old rough brass laundry tub faucet and it's spout ends with a (male) "faucet aerator" thread. (I think in current similar faucets the spout normally ends in a 3/4" "garden hose thread" and there is a single adapter that will convert it to 1/2" Male I.P.S. thread). I'm trying to...
  7. Johnny-Canuck

Crane 2 handle shower valve body too shallow in finished wall surface

I'm a senior in the closing stage of DIY gut and rebuild of a shower that I originally built over 30 years ago. I decided to avoid any plumbing rework and reused the existing Crane valve body that I had originally installed 30 years ago and which has always worked reliably. Unfortunately I now...
  8. Johnny-Canuck

Cheap 1/4 turn ball valve - direction of off/on?

This question comes from a dummy so I know it will sound pretty silly. Over 20 years ago I installed what I now recognize must have been a cheap quarter turn shutoff to a sink. (In my defense, 20 years ago, "cheap" was important ... "quality" / "durability" was not as important). My question...
  9. Johnny-Canuck

Any hints/tips/tricks to closing a "stuck" quarter turn ball valve?

I have 2 quarter turn ball valves to a sink that I can't close easily with my fingers ... the way you'd expect them to work. They are old. I installed them originally and know I've used them, but not recently = probably not in the last couple of years. I know that's a no-no and that all...
  10. Johnny-Canuck

Shower pan - is there a paintable coating I can use to "renew" my old one?

I'm re-doing a small existing shower I have in an old house (approaching the century mark). I've taken it down to the studs and am now thinking about what I'm going to do for the shower pan. When I built the bathroom (tub and separate shower) originally over 30 years ago, I installed an off the...
  11. Johnny-Canuck

Does anyone recognize this shower door pivot hardware?

I'm trying to help my daughter refit an existing shower door that was taken down, but in the process the "pivot" hardware that allows the door to swing open got lost and so the door is now totally useless without the hardware pivot pieces. It's a very narrow door (23 1/2" wall to wall) so it's...
  12. Johnny-Canuck

rework problem with an existing toilet flange - help suggestions appreciated

I'm redoing a small bathroom floor surface and am installing a new "comfort height" toilet in prep for my 90 year Mom's return to her house after suffering a fractured hip. Everything was going fine till I got to the point of unpacking the toilet and thinking I'd be able to install it this...
  13. Johnny-Canuck

can anyone id the make of this single handle kitchen faucet?

Here's a shot of the handle insert on my kichen's single handle faucet. It needs to have some work done on it's cartridge ... the problem is when it's turned to the full hot position (i.e. "joysticked" to the extreme upper left position) the water flow is much lower than when it's in the full...
  14. Johnny-Canuck

Delta MultiChoice Universal valve body (R10000) and length of drop to spout

As indicated in the subject line I have a Delta MultiChoice Universal valve body (R10000) that I'm installing. While checking out some other final detail questions I had before I finalize my solder connections and feed it water, I came across a new question. The sketch that's attached from...
  15. Johnny-Canuck

tub/shower surround walls - attach directly to studs or install wallboards first?

I'm in the process of helping my son redo his bathroom. (It's been stripped down to the bare studs and we're now in the process of putting it back together). It's not going to be a "Taj Mahal" type bathroom, so costs and/or the diy effort that's required, are in the mid range (we expect costs...
  16. Johnny-Canuck

Above floor drain vs below floor drain

I'm starting a project to redo a 2nd floor bathroom in a very old house that had an old clawfoot tub with exposed water supply and drain pipe where the drain pipe connected to a trap under the floor. I'm replacing this with a tub that will be installed in an alcove (i.e. I'll add a partition...
  17. Johnny-Canuck

how to fix a simple drip in an old 3 handle tub/shower tap set

My mom's house was built close to 60 years ago and the bathtub taps have a small but annoying drip that she wants to have fixed. It should be just a simple case of removing the valve stem and installing a new washer (based on the vintage of the original installation). My problem is that when the...
  18. Johnny-Canuck

from a combustible viewpoint what kind of flooring can a gas water heater sit on

I have a GSW gas water heater (model GG40S38ES-02). I think it's referred to as a direct vent model (i.e. it has vent ducting that goes into a chimney and so heat is vented up through the roof). It has a label that gives me the following info. +-------------------------------------+ |...
  19. Johnny-Canuck

problem adjusting chain length of an actuator valve for an American Standard toilet

I have an American Standard toilet with an actuator valve i.e. the thing that tilts up and back when the flush lever is used and then when enough water has drained out of the tube part, it drops back down and closes the tank. For the life of me, I can't get the chain length adjusted properly...
  20. Johnny-Canuck

broken handle on main shutoff

I’m fussing with what to do with the main shutoff valve at my daughter’s house. I want to do some work in her laundry area and so I need to shutoff the water while I’m working. The problem is that the handle on the main shutoff is broken, but my daughter says that the valve itself is...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks