Search results

1. Jwray

Laundry tub w/ejector pump not emptying

No level switch, float This pump doesn't have a fixed level switch, but a float instead. The switch is encased in a plastic float attached to a cord and it just kind of flops around in there. I did have a problem with the pump being constantly on when I initially installed it and discovered...
  2. Jwray

Laundry tub w/ejector pump not emptying

I have a basement laundry tub that empties into a sewage ejector pump. The pump is vented and the pump outlet has a check valve and gate valve. The sink receives the condensate drains from my central air, drain from a dehumidifier, and the washing machine drain. The whole thing has been...
  3. Jwray

Cutting large hole through brick

I'm installing a range hood in my kitchen with a 7" round exhaust duct to the outside. The exterior covering on my house is brick. I should also note that this is 1920's vintage brick and the joints, etc. are somewhat fragile. Any method of putting a hold through has to minimize impact that...
  4. Jwray

Kitchen sink drain install questions

Thanks for the help all. My tailpieces are only about 12" so they will be OK. I took the strainers I originally bought back to Lowes and found a deep cup strainer made by Keeney Mfg (that seems to be the brand they carry for all the tubular stuff). Went in fine and my sink is all hooked up...
  5. Jwray

Thanks for the advice on the strainers. In the picture I can't see where the locknut is that tightens against the bottom of the sink. Does it use another method to hold it in place? Also, on the tailpiece question I'm speaking of the vertical tailpiece that attaches to the bottom of the...
  6. Jwray

Need Longer Drain Hose

"Just the right conditions" Hey Jim, I'm planning to do the high loop attached to the underside of the counter top vs. an air gap, but you have me wondering. Can you explain what "just the right conditions" are so I can better assess my risk. Thanks, Joel
  7. Jwray

Plumbers putty on fiberglass tub?

I found an old post on here that said not to use plumbers putty on a plastic tub as the oils would eat the finish and leave cracks. Use silicone instead. I installed a tub drain using plumbers putty to seal the strainer about a month ago. The tub is fiberglass w/ (I think) acrylic gel coat...
  8. Jwray

Two questions on install of strainers and drail tail piece for kitchen sink: 1. This is a cast iron sink and the sink strainers I bought at lowes are not long enough. By this I mean with the strainer in the hole (w/ a plumbers putty seal) and the neoprene washer and paper washer on the...
  9. Jwray

Installing union in gas line

The union will be installed on the way to a gas stove. There is an existing plugged T off the hot water heater that I had installed in anticipation of the future stove. I'll unplug the T go into shutoff valve then union then a 90 up to vertical and a 90 to horizontal across into a T with...
  10. Jwray

Can someone check my layout?

software?? Ron, What software did you use to create your layout? I'm not sure if the plumbing will work or not, but the graphic looks professional.
  11. Jwray

Installing union in gas line

When installing a gas union do you put any type of thread sealant on the union threads or mating surfaces when connecting it or do you do it "dry"? I'm talking about the union joint itself and not the threaded joints where the 2 union pieces connect to the 2 pipes to be joined. Those would...
  12. Jwray

Cutting gas line???

I just ran across this thread and see you did not get a reply to your question. I see it's a little old, but in case you are still waiting for a reply I'll give it a shot. (Oops, It's not that old. I was looking at your join date and not the post date :-) ) That first union just inside...
  13. Jwray

"Wrapping" Outside of window frame

Anyone have any info on how to "wrap" the outside of a window frame after installing replacement windows? I have a 1920s brick house and I plan to install vinyl replacement windows. Currently I have the original double hung wood windows with some very cheap aluminum storm windows and a...
  14. Jwray

DWV cleanout plugs weeping & test plug blowout during water test

I'm basically testing the entire system as this is an entire replumb of the house (went from kitchen and 1 bath to rearranged kitchen and 2 1/2 baths). My understanding from the code was 10' above the fixture or the highest point in the system. So I plugged at the CO just outside the house...
  15. Jwray

Cass, The Fernco is just a temporary so I can still shower and use the toilet :D while this project is in motion. Once the new stuff is good to go all the old will be torn out and the ferco will be replaced with a permanent CO adapter on the end of the new system at this point. I used...
  16. Jwray

I made a dry run (maybe I should say "wet run" :D ) of the water test on my complete DWV redo for my old house renovation project. I thought it wise to check it out beforehand and not try it the first time with the inspector there. It went pretty well except for a couple of problems. 1. There...
  17. Jwray

Tool to tighten larger DWV cleanout plugs

Is there a good tool to use in tightening larger (3-4") PVC DWV cleanout plugs? I've been trying to use the set of channel lock pliers that work fine on 2" cleanouts, but they do not really open far enough and are not long enough to get the leverage I need. The teeth are also tearing up the...
  18. Jwray

Faucet makes odd humming noise

I installed a new Moen kitchen faucet for my father-in-law a few months ago. All is well except that the faucet makes a low humming noise in a particular position. This particular position is to the hot side of center and about half flow volume. More or less flow or different hot/cold mix...
  19. Jwray

hole thru foundation for frost free sill cock

Worked like a charm Gary, Thanks for the tip. I was able to borrow the drill and bit from the maintenance shop at work and got the holes reamed out tonight. I need to get longer sill cocks for 2 of the 3 locations, then fasten them all in place, seal around the flange, hook up the water...
  20. Jwray

hole thru foundation for frost free sill cock

I am trying to replace a couple of hose outlets with frost free sill cocks. Existing are hose bibb sweated to 1/2" copper. The hole through the poured foundation is about 3/4" in diameter and needs to be 1 1/8" in diameter for the sill cock install. Any suggestions on how to ream out the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks