Search results

1. Turbocruiser

Sink drain locknut leaks

Thanks for the advice I appreciate it! Just to clarify the right terms, what I have here is Oatey's Great White Pipe Joint Compound w/ PTFE. It says it's safe for plastic but if there is oil in it I see how long term that could cause problems. Anyway, just wanted to make totally sure that I...
  2. Turbocruiser

Sink drain locknut leaks

I thought this might be the best thread for asking another variation on this theme ... how's about with plastic threads? I'm installing a new American Standard "Cadet" faucet into a new American Standard sink. It has a plastic drain tube that connects to the sink by way of one largish rubber...
  3. Turbocruiser

Backwater Valve

I did some searching about "Back Water Valves" (I think they are also known as "Sewer Back Flow Valves") and came across this thread. After hearing some horror stories from folks about their sewer systems backflowing into their homes either when there were local floods or when there was some...
  4. Turbocruiser

shacko, hi Shaun here, I just saw your message to me from 08/26/10!!! I'm so sorry I didn't see...

shacko, hi Shaun here, I just saw your message to me from 08/26/10!!! I'm so sorry I didn't see it sooner but thanks for the advice about the compression fittings! I really appreciate it.
  5. Turbocruiser

Bifold Shower Door For Stall Sized Shower 40.25" Wide

Fine folks, I was just wondering if anyone can recommend a bifold shower door for my alcove type stall sized shower with 40.25" width. It seems that these are very common in Europe but only go up to approximately 36" wide stall widths. I want to put a permanent shower door into my shower...
  6. Turbocruiser

Loud bang noise in the basement after flushing the toilet

I always respond to threads with my whole "I'm no expert" bit but I had the exact same sound which was much worse with toilet flushes than with anything else even the full tub draining down. I did several specific things that helped. First I added additional "straps" to the drain lines down...
  7. Turbocruiser

A "While I'm In There..." Question

Ahaa! Got it now! I can totally see that it is easy enough to replace the overflow gaskets from either side, but I couldn't figure out how to do the drain sections without removing wallboard. You also answered my drain question too and as always I'll follow the experts' advice about these...
  8. Turbocruiser

Is It Okay To Spray "Great Stuff Foam" Around Copper Pipe and Copper Fittings?

Thanks I appreciate the advice so much. In this case the tub and the shower and the surround extend out past the wall that really makes my eastern facing exterior wall. So the shower valve itself is slightly slightly off center from centering on that one wall. The framing there is totally...
  9. Turbocruiser

Pros & Cons of Wax Free Gasket versus Wax Gasket on Toilet Installation

Not trying to pester this but any update at this time? Thanks.
  10. Turbocruiser

My Experience; American Standard Champion 4 vs. Toto Drake

I too am extremely happy with having my AS Champion 4. I've posted to several threads here tring to more fully figure out which versions were the ones that people had propblems with. The tech line at American Standard insisted that in 2007 the Champions were redesigned with several specific...
  11. Turbocruiser

hj, hey, not arguing just asking but how would anyone change the gaskets there without going behind or under the tub? Even if you could somehow squeeze out the one there at the drain selector, you couldn't unscrew the ABS's compression nuts and compression ferrules unless I'm misunderstanding...
  12. Turbocruiser

Okay, just to follow this up thoroughly, ... after talking to the tech line at Dow, reading their MSDS sheets and reading their User sheets (including cleanup information) I found out there are three substances that Great Stuff won't stick to ... they are polyethylene & polystyrene, teflon and...
  13. Turbocruiser

Polybutylene Advice

I always start any of my own answers here emphasizing non expert status but my home had PB plumbing and it caused a lot of little problems but thankfully it did not cause any big problems. In my case my plumbing was almost all "Qest" (sp?) with the Qest (sp?) fittings and copper crimps...
  14. Turbocruiser

Garbage Disposal Choices

I'm no expert but after extensive research I picked an ISE Space Saver Evolution Model 3/4 HP (if i remember right). It was extremely easy to install, it has had no problems whatsoever with whatever I throw through it ( I do avoid putting anything like bones in it) and it is really pretty...
  15. Turbocruiser

Ian, thanks for the advice. So you're saying that sooner or later those things will likely leak? I was just going to replace the parts with similar ABS ( I didn't know ABS was a worse material than anything else available) but if I can I'll try to source the brass bits. Even so as soon as I...
  16. Turbocruiser

Sheesh, I hope you guys like having weekend warriors like me around with all my amateurish questions. I do really appreciate the advice though. I recently opened up the drywall behind my bathtub to give the Master Plumber I hired ( I know my limits and happily hire the pros for certain...
  17. Turbocruiser

Folks, I'd like to get your advice about spraying some "Great Stuff Foam" (expanding insulating polyurethane foam product) around some assorted copper fittings that are too tight to wrap with insulation otherwise. Will this stuff hurt either the copper or the solder? Due to the positioning of...
  18. Turbocruiser

I fixed my Champion toilet today !!!!

Just as another data point, my American Standard Champion 4 (cast in 2008) was "fixed by factory" with two features that help get the "air behind water" and they seemingly work really well. The one feature is a raised rounded profile on the tank that elevates the lid a little and the other...
  19. Turbocruiser

Tight shut off valve

I'm no where near the expert status anyone around here is ... I'm just an anal-retentive-worry-wart-weekend-warrior ... but ... I'd shut the house supply off, drain lines down a little lower than wherever this valve is and replace the thing while working on the leaking toilet. Again this is an...
  20. Turbocruiser

Pros & Cons of Wax Free Gasket versus Wax Gasket on Toilet Installation

Fine folks, I'd like to bump this thread and ask about something somewhat separate in regards to the regular wax ring vs. "wax free ring" debate. I was just watching DIY Network and they were instructing on installing tile floors that have radiant heat wires within the flooring ( btwn the tile...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks