Search results

1. crcurrie

Can antique (1940s) sink faucets be fixed??

Well, I'm sure at some point there's going to be a spectacular failure and when it happens I promise to take pictures and post them here. If you're lucky, they'll include a shot of my new tenant, a 6-foot-tall former NCAA All-American women's basketball player, sopping wet, braining me with the...
  2. crcurrie

Indeed it is! I agree with Redwood that 99% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at. I just haven't mastered that last 1% -- not doing stuff that you know you're dumb at! ;)
  3. crcurrie

The hole was there already (and was also on an identical sink at the salvage yard that was manufactured two years previously, in 1938). I was thinking it was there to allow air to escape if the sink basin was overflowing into the channel, but I guess it wouldn't really be needed for that...
  4. crcurrie

Uh-oh ... get's sick how? You mean sewer gases coming up from the drain? I doubt too much is going to get into the water flow from the drain -- the gas has to navigate up the straw and through the old gasket. I would guess that any gas that gets past the trap would take the path of least...
  5. crcurrie

The exciting conclusion ... Redwood, yes, I did get it fixed -- and I have you and your photo on the Pig Slop Forum to thank! It didn't cost me $131.52 (my tenant doesn't arrive 'til tomorrow); it didn't even set me back $78. It cost me $5 for a tube of Jen-Weld epoxy putty, $50 for my...
  6. crcurrie

No pig slop here ... Redwood, I've improved upon my original idea. How does this look? With the bendy straw, I don't need to mess with the putty twice -- the drip goes straight into the weep hole on top of the overflow channel ... ;)
  7. crcurrie

That's a good summary of the reasons why I'm thinking of jerry-rigging it myself, without taking anything apart. I would be more than happy if I could limit the leak and redirect it back into the drain system, for the price of a couple inexpensive items I could pick up at HD or an auto-supply...
  8. crcurrie

How 'bout these work-arounds? Okay, it looks like my options, if I want to fix the sink, are becoming clearer. I can get the exact inner and outer diameter of the old gasket, and then try to find an "expansion freeze gasket" at an auto supply store with the proper dimensions. Is that right...
  9. crcurrie

Thanks -- that helps me know what it looks like. Does anyone have a product name or product spec? I'm **very** appreciative of all these replies. This is keeping me up at night, but maybe we're getting close to a workable solution that even a novice plumber like my contractor can implement ...
  10. crcurrie

What material are the seals made of? This is something I found on the HD Web site: DANCO Rubber Packing Sheet 6 In. x 6 In. (1/16" thick) Described as "the right packing or gasket material for any job." I'm cognizant of HJ's admonition at the dimensions have to be exactly right...
  11. crcurrie

Thanks for the advice, folks. Yes, the sink is stamped with a date in 1940 -- so barely before U.S. entry into the War. I have the drain stop; it was pulled out by the plumber while he was working on it. Interestingly, the one problem I expected to find -- drippy faucets -- I did not...
  12. crcurrie

I'm in a bit of a bind. Bought a 1940s (American) Standard console sink at a salvage yard to renovate a bathroom needed for a room rental in our house (to earn income since I've been unemployed). Obviously, couldn't afford to spend much. Unfortunately, the sink leaked (no surprise, right?). I...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks