Search results

1. JimLS

Sand trap rather than filter?

Have see a few things on sand "trap" filters that work by slowing down the water enough that the sand sinks to the bottom of the pipe and into chambers. I have some sand in my supply and have a filter screen but it clogs frequently. Hoping to put together a sand trap to keep things running...
  2. JimLS

New CSV install

Were the sand traps effective? I have some sand in my irrigation water (pump from a small stream) and have a small screen filter but it has to be cleaned often. Have been looking at sand traps but without going to bigger pipe (haven't found much on it but what little I found used 3 or 4") the...
  3. JimLS

Shut off valve recommendations

yes, deck mounted faucet on roman tub. No shutoffs except tub valves. Have a mop sink in the basement with no shutoffs also. House was plumbed by a plumber not me. Sounds like you always put in shutoffs. Hoping others might post... Still seems like putting in a valve to shut off half the...
  4. JimLS

I have access to the pipes in unfinished parts of the basement so access to the added valves is not an issue. The integrated stops is an interesting thing. In talking to the valve manufacturer they said something about stops so I may have those in my valve. I need to remove the cover plate to...
  5. JimLS

Have a house the we had built and had a plumber do the plumbing. We have plumbing (bathrooms/kitchen/laundry/etc) grouped at each end of the house. We have shutoffs for the sinks, toilets, etc but not for the showers/tubs - this seems pretty standard. If I have an issue with a shower valve...
  6. JimLS

Shower temp control valve leaking between hot and cold when off

Noticed the cold water in the bathroom was lukewarm and checked things out. The water heater is in the basement below. Hot water line out of the heater is hot with no fixtures turned on and it is normally cool a short distance from the tank. The cold water line is slightly warm. I checked...
  7. JimLS

Flakes of sediment showing up in hose screens even with screen on water to system

Have an in ground sprinkler system fed by a pump. Have a fine screen filter but the water sometimes has a bit of fine sediment that makes it through. The system has been in over 10 years and has been fairly trouble free. I have a few zone valves that feed hose connections. Recently I set up...
  8. JimLS

Stuck shutoff valves - clean, replace? How to prevent?

That's interesting! Since the existing stops aren't leaking that could be added to restore the ability to shut off.
  9. JimLS

Not sure how you thought they were gate valves - they aren't. Some are 1/4 turn ball valves. Some are the common type with washer (not sure what they are called but they were standard before ball valves and cartridge faucet valves became common). Many of them are the individual fixture shut...
  10. JimLS

Do most sprinkler controllers have short circuit protection?

I agree it is unregulated so the voltage will vary a few volts. But 16VAC under load is way too low unless something is wrong. I measure about 27V unloaded and about 25 with one or two valves on. It was 16V because the valve was shorted and low resistance. Probably would have blown a fuse...
  11. JimLS

We have hard water and a softener but still have some stuck shutoff valves. I have heard that cycling them 2 or 3 times a year is recommended to avoid this and have done that on some but others in remote locations have been missed. What's the recommended frequency? I have read of adding a...
  12. JimLS

One zone went bad and I have some extras so I moved it to another zone that was then damaged. What seems to be happening is that the coil is good when cold but shorts out after it has been on a while. It was loading down the 24VAC supply and only 16VAC at the zone output. But when I got to...
  13. JimLS

It isn't hand built or ancient. It's a open source (code and schematic is published) raspberry pi add on circuit board. Don't have a picture handy but here is a link. Sounds like I need to add a current limit to the outputs - that's something I can design pretty easily and put together and...
  14. JimLS

I have a diy sprinkler controller (opensprinkler) that is networked and has some nice features. One of the reasons for it is I have a lot of zones and this is easily expandable. My question is about protection from shorted valves. This controller is weak in this area and I have several zone...
  15. JimLS

Power Pipe Copper drain line eaten away...

It's only eaten through for a couple inches at the end and then tapers out. Most of the pipe looks good. I think the water spread out over the pipe so the corrosion is spread out to where it isn't an issue (yet). What's the best way to patch this? I am thinking I will separate the shower...
  16. JimLS

Yes. A different brand from 15 years ago but virtually identical. Would be great if I can repair it but hard to tell until I pull it out so I can get a good look at it.
  17. JimLS

I have a 4' section of 4" copper drain line that is a heat exchanger with coils of tubing around it to recover heat from drain water. It was available commercially when I installed it about 15 years ago. It's in a house and the rest of drains are PVC. It's in a vertical stack and coupled with...
  18. JimLS

Soldering near PEX connection?

I need to install stub outs for a new half bath. My choices seem to be - a bracket that holds the PEX in a curve out the wall. Then a crimp on valve on the PEX. Seems like poor support of the valve, particularly when operating it. - a copper bend stub out with either: - solder on valve...
  19. JimLS

Low output from pump

Didn't see anything about ant nests in the troubleshooting guide.:D Seems like the water flow would have flushed them out but apparently not. I got a spare gasket the last time I got parts so was able to clean it and get it back together. Works much better now!
  20. JimLS

Low output from pump

Took it apart to see what I could see. Didn't see any excessive wear on anything - Just a slight amount. Was very perplexed and left it over night. This morning I did some more inspection and noticed some small ants crawling around the impeller. On closer inspection I found a bunch of ant...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks