Search results

1. Hairyhosebib

Solution for 4300 sq ft rancher 5 bedrooms, 4 baths, 4 adults, triplet boys

That is a big home. You might just consider doing this. Pipe the hot water pipe in a big loop. Somewhat like the veins in your own body. You would just need to do a good job of insulating the hot water lines. Put a recirculating pump on it and keep it constantly moving. A small pump will...
  2. Hairyhosebib

Replacing Drain Valve with Ball Valve

HMMMM, value? You mean valve. That is the first thing I do when I install a new water heater. Make certain the new ball valve is a full port valve. Here is a neat little trick. Do the action of actually tightening the original valve to break it loose. Once it breaks loose and moves then go...
  3. Hairyhosebib

Brand New DAMAGED Water Heater Installed Yesterday - Should I worry?

That is cosmetic and will not harm the heaters function. It could be repaired like body work on a car though. I once bought a two wheeled lawn cart at Sears. The box looked perfect. I got it home and opened the box and the bed looked liked it had been ran over by a big truck. It does really...
  4. Hairyhosebib

Roof Drain Vent

I would climb on the roof and stick a garden hose in and turn it on. I work at a University. We had a set of bathrooms that were causing trouble. With a whole bunch of kids around there is occasionally some bored student that loves to do something like stuff a toilet full of paper towels...
  5. Hairyhosebib

Kohler toilet flushing problem on San Raphael one-piece

Go to the hardware store and buy a gallon of muriatic acid or hydrochloric acid or pool acid. Take the tank lid off and place a funnel in the standpipe. Open the acid and pour some in the funnel and pour some in the bowl for good measure. Wait awhile and repeat the process. Calcium and junk...
  6. Hairyhosebib

Replaced fill valve, no water fills in tank.

It is possible that this branch of the water system is clogged with small rocks. You could install a tee with another shut off valve and hook an air compressor or portable air tank to the line to dislodge the clog. You can charge it with air and then turn the air off and turn the valve on the...
  7. Hairyhosebib

Snake runs back and forth from one drain to another

Is this resolved? If it is possible to get on your roof and stuff a wet rag in the vent pipe over this bathroom you might be able to remove the drain from under the sink and cap it off. Then stuff another wet rag into the overflow on your tub and then take a wet vac and just suck the stoppage...
  8. Hairyhosebib

Toilet clogged. What to do?

Is this still a problem? If this toilet is on the first floor and the home is on a slab it could be that a root has worked its way from under the house and penetrated the wax seal and a root ball has formed and is causing the problem. The other thing you might try and you really need to be...
  9. Hairyhosebib

Stopped up bathroom drain under concrete

Vacuuming the stoppage is just plain smart. I give your guy an A for thinking of something different. I work at a university and people don't give a tinkers damn what they sweep or kick into a floor drain. It is nothing to suck rocks and other items out. ASU outsourced the custodial staff...
  10. Hairyhosebib

recirc system

A check valve is needed but get one used in the solar hot water industry. One that may only need a half pound of pressure to open it. You can get a Grundfos circ pump that may only be 1/64 of a HP. That be just about nothing in electrical use. It just keeps the water moving. I would extend...
  11. Hairyhosebib

Escutcheon/Waste Line leak under Kitchen Sink

Start by removing the drain from the P Trap to the wall. If you disturb the tail piece you may end up with a leak there too. OR, You may just want to remove the entire drain including the sink strainer basket. Once you start wrenching on the old drain i would bet that the strainer will come...
  12. Hairyhosebib

How do I join 2.75 cast pipe to 3 inch PVC tee?

You might try going to Ace Hardware. They may carry Febco Fittings. They are an Indiana company that makes rubber fittings for odd sizes of pipes. They will tighten down with big hose clamps.
  13. Hairyhosebib

blocking material fell into toilet rough opening

Do you have a wet vac? Perhaps the stoppage could just be sucked out. You may not have much to loose. Then again an open vent on the roof might make this a waste of time. If it were possible to stuff wet rags in the vents then it might just work. It just amazes me how many people that never...
  14. Hairyhosebib

Recommendations for a quarter turn angle valve

http://products.dahlvalve.com/AdvancedWebPage.aspx?CategoryText1=mini-ball%20valves&SBCatPage=1&FromPage=1&sbt= That's an easy one. Buy these for replacements. After installing these where I work I would never choose another brand. Find a local distributor or if you have to mail order one...
  15. Hairyhosebib

Well pressure tank: fittings leaking

You might buy a roll of teflon tape for gas fittings. it is yellow in color and much thicker than normal thread tape. I am no fan of mixing metal and plastic threads. You should be careful of getting the thread started right or you could cross thread it. It can get ugly.
  16. Hairyhosebib

can't get drain out for new garbage disposal

Looks like silicone to me too. Do you have a sawzall? A good minute is all you would need. I would not pound on it with a hammer.
  17. Hairyhosebib

Is this even to code? Homeowner with no previous plumbing experience needs help!

I am hoping that the pipe in the floor is a trap. If it is dry pour some water in it and then pour a small amount of vegetable oil on top of the water. The oil will keep the water from drying out. If you are having problems with roots you might want to pour some root destroyer that you can...
  18. Hairyhosebib

Can anyone identify this 1/4 stop?

I would go with the Dahl Ball valve. These things are completely over built and that is a good thing! Much better than anything in the big box stores. The biggest problem with a angle stop is that nobody ever exercises them or any other shutoff in their home until they are needed. By then it...
  19. Hairyhosebib

Awful smell from plumbing?

Pouring a small amount of vegetable oil in a floor drain will help keep water in trap from drying out.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks