Search results

1. DougB

Grohe pullout faucet - flow restrictor tip

I replaced our 12 year old Grohe kitchen faucet with the same model. After replacing the faucet - the water flow was considerably less. I was p1ssed. After careful Google searches - I found out Grohe has the flow restrictor (a check valve) built into the pull-out hose quick connect...
  2. DougB

Flush Valve For Wall Mounted Toto

I remodeled the bathroom about five years ago. Lately sometimes have to tap the flush plate to get it to stop running. The flush valve part number is THU13 - $107. Anyone know of a rebuild kit?
  3. DougB

Recommendations for new hot water boiler

I wanted to upload some pics - but I guess you can't. I have a 1950 boiler, gas fired - 3,600 sq/ft home, in Minnesota. What, in your opinion is the most reliable, simplest boiler?
  4. DougB

Thermocouple for older boiler

I have a boiler from 1950. With a standing pilot. That needed a new thermocouple. I've discovered that replacement thermocouples have two different thread sizes on the gas valve. After buying one (Honeywell) that didn't work, I managed to find another that worked, but doesn't fit well in the...
  5. DougB

Once Used Tuscan Leveling System

I finished my master bath, and have no need for my Tuscan leveling system. I have 200 of the red reusable caps, at least 150 straps, and the standard tool. I'm asking $100 + shipping.
  6. DougB

Good Source For Door Hardware

Good source for door hardware, and especially pocket doors: http://www.lockshowroom.com/ http://hangingdoorhardware.com/ Above is a Cavilock I installed on my bathroom door.
  7. DougB

$14k - Completed DIY Bathroom Remodel

From a previous post I listed the bill of materials: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/diy-bathroom-remodel-heres-the-actual-costs.57862/ Here is the final result:
  8. DougB

The Fourth Turning

I read a book many years ago called "The Fourth Turning". It has to do with Generational Dynamics and history repeating itself. Two historians analyzed specifically American history, and saw a pattern - history repeated about every 80 years. With these 80 years segments, there are four...
  9. DougB

Review of Tuscan Tile Leveling System

Why buy a tile leveling system? I did because I’m not a pro, and I had 300 sq/ft of 12x12 wall tile and 70 sq/ft of 12x24 floor tile. I wanted to eliminate lippage. I researched several tile leveling systems, before choosing the Tuscan Leveling System (TLS). The reason I liked it was...
  10. DougB

DIY Bathroom Remodel - Here's the Actual Costs

These are the costs for remodeling my master bath. The material was purchased between August 2013 and May 2014. The room is about 9’ x 10’, and was demoed down to the studs. Location: Minneapoils, MN. I would say that this is a solid middle to upper middle renovation. Permits /demo / new...
  11. DougB

RPM mats and WarmWire

I've used Warmly Yours mats on several projects. But I needed to flatten this wood floor in my master bath. I found these RPM mats. They are about 22 x 44. You glue them down with vinyl adhesive and then staple. Over concrete you use a different adhesive. To fit them, score with a shop...
  12. DougB

Schluter Profiles

I found it very difficult to find any info about how to install the Schluter profiles. Like how do you hold them in place, etc. The reason to use 'some' Schluter is that if the tile has bull nose - I've found it to be 3" wide - looks like shit around a door or a corner. I used the bullnose...
  13. DougB

How Do I Grout This Decorative Tile

I'm using Lactricrete Grout. 'They' told me that the 'sand' in this grout is round - and will not scratch the glass. My other concern is that I won't be able to get the grout out of the embossed / natural stone tiles. I'm an engineer from Lehigh - and I don't believe the 'round' sand thing...
  14. DougB

Tiling over bath tub flange

I posted this on the JB forum. But Mr. Red Sneaker had to respond with his usual drivel. You would think by now he would know that I don't want to hear from him. But apparently he knows no boundaries. I'm ready to tile the bottom row of tile for the bath tub. It's a Kohler, acrylic tub...
  15. DougB

Riser Clamp Size

I want to cut out a section of cast iron waste pipe, and before doing so, install a riser clamp on the floor above. The pipe is 3 1/2" OD - I figure this is what they call 3" waste pipe? All I've been able to find on the net (and Grainger) are 3" riser clamps. What do you think?
  16. DougB

Toto wall hung problem

I've purchased a Toto Aquia wall hung toilet with Toto in-wall tank system. I want to install the toilet in the same spot - right in line with the 3" main stack. The problem is that the toilet comes with a 'special' 3" elbow. The elbow has a rubber gasket that allows the adapter for...
  17. DougB

Building Tub Alcove

I have a Kohler Expanse acrylic tub, with an integrated tiling flange. How much longer do you make the alcove? 1/4" ?? Then you shim at the studs where you attach the flange?
  18. DougB

Crimp off soft copper

I have hydronic heat. There is a loop of 1/2" od soft copper embedded in the mud of the bathroom floor. I'm going to rip out the mud (it's cracked) and install a new subfloor. I do not want to drain the entire system. However I have released the water pressure in the boiler. I would...
  19. DougB

Tile behind wall hung vanity?

My wife selected a wall hung vanity that is about 48" long and 24" high. It fastens to the wall with lag bolts. At first I thought I would tile the wall, and hang the vanity. Considering having to drill through the new, thick, porcelain tile for the bolts / water / drain - maybe I should...
  20. DougB

Bath tub alcove

I'm building the end wall of an alcove for a drop-in tub. How much wider than the tub do you think I should make the wall? I was thinking about 3" I was figuring this would allow for a shower rod.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks