Search results

1. mystryda

Can't figure out how to loosen or tighten this tailpiece

I've done a fair amount of household plumbing, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get this tailpiece looser or tighter. The collar slides up and down on the tailpiece (see second pic how the collar can be slide up from the flange beneath) but it doesn't spin, even with one pair...
  2. mystryda

1st story lav sink drains slow, 2nd story lav trap gets sucked dry: help?

I actually pulled the trap. It's completely clean. I would estimate the trap seal depth as ~2 1/2". It's a typical 1 1/4" lav P-trap kit.
  3. mystryda

1st story lav sink drains slow, 2nd story lav trap gets sucked dry: help?

I inherited a pair of problem sinks, and I haven't been able to solve the problem. House was built in the late 70's. These two bathrooms are on the same stack, and I'm guessing that the problems are related. The 1st story lav sink drains very slowly. The trap is completely clean. The 2nd...
  4. mystryda

Proposed schematic for adding washing machine and kitchenette

I definitely want to do things correctly, which is why I'm posting. It was my understanding that waste from an upper floor has to enter below waste from a lower floor when connecting to a vertical stack. My experience so far has only been with plumbing on a single floor, so I'm trying to...
  5. mystryda

Oops, posted this over Easter weekend, giving it a bump. Does this latest version still work? Thanks.
  6. mystryda

So I finally made my splice into the 4" horizontal main drain. I know that the 2nd floor waste needs to enter before the 1st floor waste. Is it acceptable to have them merge in a horizontal section, like so?
  7. mystryda

Listening through water So I've got the floor open and I'm trying to find the main drain. I'm 30" down, which is a little deeper than where I need to be, assuming 1/4" / ft drop from the toilet flange across the basement (gives 28"). I pulled said toilet and fed down a cheapy snake. I got...
  8. mystryda

Thanks for the quick reply, Terry. I love your site. So would this be right, then? (Moved the floor drain "upstream;" sorry, the drawing got a little cramped.) Will the 2" connection to the main floor drain be able to handle both the washing machine and the sink/dishwasher?
  9. mystryda

I'd like to add a 2nd-story washing machine and a basement kitchenette to what I believe is a 2" vent for a floor drain. Would you review the attached schematic? I'm guessing about how the existing floor drain is plumbed, since everything's encapsulated in the basement floor. What I see is...
  10. mystryda

Tap into drain line by basement main drain? Or where?

Ok, so I hired a plumber to scope and locate the line. First a very general question. For a 1979 house in Virginia built as part of development, can I assume that I'll find a bed of gravel before I find the drain pipe, or is it possible that the pipe is laid right in the dirt? Here's where...
  11. mystryda

Tap into drain line by basement main drain? Or where?

Just bought a ~1979 colonial in NoVA that has a full, finished basement. I want to add a basement kitchenette (sink and dishwasher). I've done a fair amount of plumbing a DIY'er over the past decade, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to get started on how/where to tap in the the drain...
  12. mystryda

Correct way to stub out PEX?

Roger that. I'll talk to the GC.
  13. mystryda

There are four bathrooms, so twelve stubs. About a quarter of them are extraordinarily loose, and the rest of somewhat loose. None of them are what I would consider firm or well supported. When I've done it, I've used the copper right angle with the flange, like from Sioux Chief, where the...
  14. mystryda

If it freely moves both up and down, in and out, does that constitute "wrong" and need to be corrected to be "workmanlike?" Is there some sort of standard for securing pipe by stub outs like there is for securing romex by boxes? The copper stub out is so floppy that the escutcheon won't stay...
  15. mystryda

Is there a correct and accepted way to stub out PEX for supply lines to lav and WC? I had a house replumbed. The plumber transitioned from PEX to copper before going through the wall and to the valve. The stubout feels "floppy." Is this acceptable? Here in Ohio we're under the IPC...
  16. mystryda

Can you check my DWV rough-in?

So is it better now without the side inlet?
  17. mystryda

Take 3 So got rid of the big loop on the sinks (all waste arms less than 42"), and vented the left-most WC differently. I could only find a side inlet elbow in 3", so I switch to a med. sweep 90 plus san T fon the vent. Better? I noticed that the layout has an error, which may cause some...
  18. mystryda

Terry, Thanks for the quick response. Does this fix the problems you saw? Any other suggestions? Cheers,
  19. mystryda

Hi, Can you check my DWV rough-in? I've attached a sketch of the roughin with the non-obvious fittings labeled, along with the bathroom layout. To give a scale, the upstairs full bath on the right is 6.5'x6.5'. The 3" branch that everything drains into will run in a soffit below the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks