Search results

1. rick15752

Insulation in ceiling between bathrooms?

Hi Nukeman, Thanks for the offer. I just finished the installation of the R15 and had just the right amount. Roxul told me that I could mix the leftovers in my attic along with the other insulation, that it would just improve the situation. Not a bad idea. Roxul is pretty good stuff, but...
  2. rick15752

Insulation in ceiling between bathrooms?

Hi, I'm remodeling the bathrooms in my 2 story home. Two bathrooms are directly above the 1st floor bathroom. Now that the drywall is down, I'd like to add some rock wool insulation, Roxul R15, in the ceiling of the lower bathroom. This is not so much for thermal benefit as it is for sound...
  3. rick15752

Is there a way to replace this gas pipe and valves? See photos.

Thanks everyone. I called a plumber and he suggested that I leave it alone if it is not leaking. He said I can use the log lighter as the gas shutoff. I've never turned the lever handle valve for fear that I would cause a leak. I checked all the fittings and valves for leaks with LDR All...
  4. rick15752

I've looked at CSST information before and I agreee it is not for me. I will stick with hard pipe for my work. I'm thinking of opening the exterior wall, which is a plywood shear wall covered with stucco, to have the ability to spin the old log lighter valve off the pipe. The hole would...
  5. rick15752

I'm not familiar with the CSST. I've read about it, but I'm more familiar with hard pipe and I feel comfortable using that. I'll research Tracpipe. Thanks.
  6. rick15752

Yes. That is correct. I never work on gas pipe unless I've shut off the gas at the meter and allowed time for the remaining gas to leave the system. Yes. The obstacle here is the lack of clearance to spin the valves off the pipe. I've checked other forums and I have received some good...
  7. rick15752

I think I left out one photo showing the inside of the firebox.
  8. rick15752

Hi, I'm installing a gas fireplace insert into my masonry fireplace. It has a gas log lighter. But, I'd like to replace the gas pipe that goes thru the firebrick to a couple of valves next to the fireplace. One valve is a T handle log lighter and the other is a lever handle gas cock valve...
  9. rick15752

Please check my derating calculations.

I've been looking for some help on derating and hope someone here can help me. Home was built in 1985 and, apparently, derating wasn't closely observed then. But, I've run some new circuits to my breaker panel and I want to make sure I follow the NEC 2008 334.80. Here is my question /...
  10. rick15752

Bathroom Fans: Best way to install ducting?

Thanks for all the replies. I actually installed two fans so far and will be doing the final two in a few months. I used galvanized rigid for the laundry and flex aluminum for the lower bath. The flex was easier to install due to the short distance and two bends. I'm in the San Francisco...
  11. rick15752

Updating Bathroom Circuits to 20 amp

I agree. "Keep it simple" is the best way.
  12. rick15752

Well I've done more research and I'm changing my mind about running a Multi Wire Branch Circuit (MWBC) for the bathrooms. I think I'm going to run two separate 12-2 wires to a tandem 20 amp breaker. The reason for this is the breaker. If I ran a 12-3 to the breaker panel and wired it as such...
  13. rick15752

Hi Jetlag, Thanks for the info. I also found some info about the type of breaker I'll need for this circuit and your information goes along with that. Unfortunately, the bedroom and outdoor receptacles are wired with 14-2. So, I won't be feeding any of that from the new 20 amp 12-3 or...
  14. rick15752

Hi Jim, Yes, the outdoor receptacle will be going on a different circuit. NEC Section 210.11(C)(3) I just want the bathroom circuit to feed the bathroom receptacles and nothing else, not even the bathroom lights. I'm hoping to use a 12-3 to save space in my breaker box. The 12-3 will...
  15. rick15752

Hi Thatguy, I should have typed "current" rather than "voltage." Presently, the 15 amp circuit has one GFCI in the master bath and the other two bathroom outlets, as well as an outdoor receptacle, are on the load side of that. In my proposed circuit, the 12-3 to the master bath would...
  16. rick15752

Hi everyone, I'm remodeling my two story home and would like to run 20 amp circuits to the three bathrooms. This is a tract home built in 1985 and all the bathroom outlets are on one 15 amp circuit. From the breaker panel the circuit first goes to the master bath and branches off to feed the...
  17. rick15752

Bathroom Fans: Best way to install ducting?

Hi everyone, I am remodeling my home in the California Bay Area (mild climate) and must install exhaust fans in all bathrooms, despite the fact that there are windows in each bathroom. I have a call into the local building inspector and I'm waiting to hear back about requirements, but have not...
  18. rick15752

Wiring bathroom exhaust fans, GFCI concerns, NEC concerns.

Hi everyone, I'm renovating my bathrooms, 2 are second floor and 1 on the first floor. I'm in California. These bathrooms are small, 5 x 11 upstairs and 5 x 7 downstairs, and all have windows. However, building code now states that mechanical exhaust fans must be installed in each bathroom...
  19. rick15752

Rough-in for Toilet

Hi, Thanks for the quick replies. I've completely removed all ABS DWV above the 1st floor. Following the original path taken in the rough-in, I used 3" no-hub cast iron up to the 2nd floor bathrooms. That 3" riser 90's under the 2nd floor and that 90 connects to a 3" wye which is position so...
  20. rick15752

Rough-in for Toilet

Hello everyone, I'm hoping for some info about the rough-in dimensions for a toilet. I'm replacing my ABS drain system with no-hub cast iron because of defective ABS. I'm working on the 2nd floor bathrooms and following the path taken by the original plumber. I've replaced a lot of the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks