Search results

1. Speede541

Dripping Copper Union; O-Ring & Grease?

Thank you everyone for you suggestions. As I mentioned earlier, I should have tried the plumbers grease alone before sandwiching in the O-ring. Today I cracked it open, extracted the O-ring, smeared on another blob of grease, and snugged it back together. The union appears to be holding...
  2. Speede541

But would you suggest I try a different — perhaps more suitable — material for the gasket? The O ring seems to be holding, but I wish it were thinner and flatter.
  3. Speede541

Alas, Jeff, I am in 100% agreement with you. I'm going to try it just with the grease, but if it still leaks, I'll settle for the O-ring over the drip.
  4. Speede541

I have a 1-1/4" copper union outside that was leaking, just a minor drip. Searching the fine upstanding plumbing forums, some recommendations I saw were (1) apply plumbing grease to the threads & shoulder, (2) use pipe dope on the union face, or (3) insert what somebody referred to as a...
  5. Speede541

Expansion Tank End-Of-Line Question

Yes! I was surprised when I learned the air bladder fills pretty much the entire volume of these tanks.
  6. Speede541

That's the blow-off valve I have installed outside on the residential riser. I ran calcs for 30°F to 140°F and only need capacity for 0.4 gallons of expansion, so the ET ought to cover me. I figure the ET + blow-off is belt and suspenders.
  7. Speede541

...and that's initially why I questioned this "dead end" directive. That's one of the reasons I chose the B&G tank, cosmetic -- it's a bright, shiny red. It also transitions from the CPVC to copper less than a foot away, so there'll be no mistaking what it is. See, that's where my mind is at...
  8. Speede541

Just to put a bow on this, I received a reply from a "sales engineer" at B&G. It was somewhat unsatisfactory -- he hadn't seen the dead end note previously / wasn't familiar. I suggested Jim's biological assessment to which he didn't disagree. I asked if, for instance, a 2' or 9' stub off of the...
  9. Speede541

Correct, 105 PSI actually, PRV on the domestic side, and no PRV on the fire side. Expansion tanks on both systems. I've wondered if there is much variance in our pressure over the course of the day, or seasonally, but whenever I check it pegs right around 105.
  10. Speede541

I'm a fan of the PEX systems from what I've seen so far. They weren't approved yet when this system first went in. And CPVC in the attic struck me as too risky, hence the copper.
  11. Speede541

Thanks Jim! It's CPVC on the lower floors and transitions to copper in the attic., and a 20' PEX run inside of one interior wall. I've never had the warm 'n fuzzies for CPVC, but that's what the original layout was. Although I have a pressure regulator on the domestic side, the Fire Marshall...
  12. Speede541

Hey Jim your theory looks spot on. B&G hasn't replied to my inquiry (I'll share their response if they do), but I located discussions about Legionella and microbes specific to dead end tank branches, and even found "flow through" expansion tanks made specifically to address this concern...
  13. Speede541

Thanks Jim, that makes a lot of sense. Yes, I have backflow prevention independently on both systems.
  14. Speede541

The attic gets hot and so naturally there are daily thermal expansion cycles. More than what's expected from a domestic supply. I'll be honest, the original permitted installation was a smaller branch system with too many opportunities for entrapped air which is specifically warned against by...
  15. Speede541

The exact verbiage is "Do not install on a dead end pipe or in an overhead joist space." They also say, "Install ... at a point between the water heater and the back flow preventer, check valve, or pressure reducing valve." I have an inquiry in to the company asking for clarification. You're...
  16. Speede541

I'm installing a second thermal expansion tank. This is for my fire sprinkler system. I'll have 100 feet of 1" copper in my attic, with a storage capacity of about 4 gallons, so am installing a 2 gallon Bell & Gossett PT-5 tank. The tank will be installed in the basement utility room stubbing...
  17. Speede541

I'm terrified of my CPVC...

On the flip side, there's a bakery I frequent where, a few weeks ago, a parking car jumped the curb, hit the gas meter, conveniently next to the building's outdoor electrical closet, and penetrated the wall. Despite the utility company having to come out to open a trench in the parking lot to...
  18. Speede541

Thanks all and some good food for thought. cacher_chick, good advice on checking flow -- the 1" PEX has a smaller ID than the 1" CPVC. So even though I'd be using expansion-type fittings (reduced impact to flow vs. crimp-type fittings), I also get to compensate for fewer fittings overall...
  19. Speede541

...and am considering switching to PEX? About 8 years ago, I had a professionally installed and city-permitted / fire marshal-inspected CPVC fire sprinkler system (partial coverage) installed in my unfinished basement and upstairs kitchen. Since that time, I have expanded the system throughout...
  20. Speede541

Kohler K-303 diverter losing pressure to shower

Thought I should follow up for anybody searching for an answer to a similar problem... Turned out it was my vacuum breaker on the shower hose that went bad. Makes sense, since after disassembling the diverter valve, there didn't appear any way it could be responsible for dropping shower head...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks