Search results

1. Jacobsond

Smelly sump pit, green die not present

A sealed better pit and a little radon type fan is what we have used. You might want to try and enzyme treatment or 2 to eat up that stuff then a monthly treatment. That has worked for us also.
  2. Jacobsond

Resolved: Help needed with compression fittings

I would try the 2 piece compression with the ferrule 1st. I have never had to much trouble with those. Not so sure about those 1 piece things.
  3. Jacobsond

Why is it hard to get someone to install an air gap correctly?

Failing to read the instructions is never a valid excuse with anything. A homeowner could install that with a quick look at the directions. Maybe the plumber has been plumbing for 30yrs and has the I don't need instructions attitude. I'm not a plumber,but as a systems tech I deal with mostly...
  4. Jacobsond

A/C Short Cycling

A full system check requires a clean condenser coil. if your tech does not check that you need a new tech. Pressures on the gauges will not be correct and a tech that does not verify a clean coil could add refrigerant or take out some because of the pressure readings. If you paid someone to...
  5. Jacobsond

Can you touch a high tension power line?

Have you ever seen how they maintain those type of lines using a helicopter lowering workers onto the live lines to work. That would be a crazy job.
  6. Jacobsond

Water hammer in middle of night

I would get an expansion tank on there. Has the city put a check valve on your supply recently?
  7. Jacobsond

Dont touch the chrome

Most of you guys doing plumbing may be familiar with the saying Dont touch the chrome trap unless your willing to replace it all. Yep you guessed it I touched the chrome on this slow drain at work. I had to use a hammer chisel and just about anything else I could find to get the chrome trap off...
  8. Jacobsond

Not allowed to connect replacement water line to meter?

Sounds like a weird rule. Best to get a clarification like you plan. Maybe the rule is you cant make the connection and a city water employee or a licensed plumber needs to make the connection. I can see the city not wanting a homeowner do plumbing work on their system.
  9. Jacobsond

Tiny gas leak. What should I do?

This gets me thinking. Shouldn't everyone know how to shut off the gas,water and electricity on their property in case of emergency. The time it takes for the professional to get there is measured in quarter hours or more. The time it takes to avoid severe damage or tragedy is less than that...
  10. Jacobsond

Dishwasher Drain Line: Is this too much slack? Or is it AOK?

The trouble with dishwasher hoses is you can not shorten them easy. I would try to make the hose go up from the disposal instead of the loop down. The loop down will fill with grey water from your sink. You dont really want that.
  11. Jacobsond

HVAC Mini Split Systems

We put in panasonic mini split heatpumps when we needed to upgrade our AC. The house has baseboard heat so no ductwork. These things are great. I opted for 2 inside heads and 2 outside units. While cooling or heating is not as even as you could get with vents in each room they do a good job...
  12. Jacobsond

Tank less water heater in low flow house

If you got the room put in a tank.With your issues why mess with something that may or may not work to your satisfaction. We already know a tank works just fine.
  13. Jacobsond

Will smaller zones damage HVAC system or save money?

.38 cents wow. I cant help much with reducing your energy use,but getting your friends and neighbors to push for a new power plant to take up the slack with your electricity shortage. Being CA probably a snowballs chance in hell tho.Good luck with your project.
  14. Jacobsond

Boiler, Someone explain this

Intermittent pilot. Did the spark wire get to close to the manifold?
  15. Jacobsond

Basement sewer gas smell

Forgive my ignorance here, but is discharging a sump pump into city sewer illegal in most areas? That being said discharging the gray water into a sump pit that is not sealed is just asking for stink. IMHO the setup is hacked. Shouldn't you have a sewage/lift pump that is sealed discharging into...
  16. Jacobsond

Methane gases in a sump pump pit - question

Is your furnace bringing in fresh air for combustion? If not your house could be going negative pressure thus sucking air through the sump causing issues.
  17. Jacobsond

Liquid or spray on sealant for minor roof leaks?

With multiple layers of shingles finding the leak almost impossible. Where its dripping is not where the leak is usually. I dont know of anything you can pour on. I think there is something for trailer houses. Probably wont work on a pitched shingled roof. Time for a new roof. Tear it all off...
  18. Jacobsond

Oatey Pipe joint compound on PVC sink trap and drain?

Just a building maintenance guy here. I'm taking that hardened stuff off the p-traps under sinks all the time. The contractor that did the plumbing renovation in one of our apartments used some type of pipe dope on all the chrome traps. They are leaking now after about 6 yrs. I disassemble clean...
  19. Jacobsond

Is there any excuse for a heatpump not keeping up other than improper sizing?

If the air handler is in the attic and its 100++ degrees and the return is disconnected or not connected properly that could be a big problem. Plus if its all flex and run poorly another problem. I would start in the attic and inspect all the duct work I can see. Can you take a few pictures of...
  20. Jacobsond

Is there any excuse for a heatpump not keeping up other than improper sizing?

5 gal of condensate? You got to be pulling in a lot of humid outside air from somewhere. Must be trying to cool the whole state down.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks