Search results

1. Gary in NJ

Replacing Kickspace Heater with Radiant

Great info Dana. I think I will use those convectors because; it's easier and I can make adjustments by adding/subtracting/moving plates.
  2. Gary in NJ

The 144 lf is just the plumbing. On that loop there are 5 2x2 fin-tube convection radiators with a total length of 45' plus the aforementioned kick space heater. There is just one 46x36 window in the bathroom and one exposed (northern exposure) wall that is 10' in length. The closet space is...
  3. Gary in NJ

Thanks for the reply Dana. I keep the kickspace heater fan on low, so it only delivers about 2400 BTU. Also, the HAV-48 heats both the 10x13 bathroom as well as the adjacent 5x13 closet, so it's really heating a space that is 15x13 with 2400 BTU. The boiler is a WM Gold 115k (maybe 120) BTU...
  4. Gary in NJ

The plan is to have the bathroom radiant heat remain part of the current zone.
  5. Gary in NJ

Thanks for that document fitter. I should have no problem running 70' of PEX in the space I have. I will probably keep with the 1/2 size that the current HAV-48 is piped with, so I will certainly install double the suggested 70'.
  6. Gary in NJ

I have a 10 x 13 bathroom (with a 5 x 13 adjacent closet) that is currently heated by a Embassy Industries HAV-48 Kickspace Heater (4800 BTU). We typically keep this unit on the low setting (2400 BTU) and it adequately heats the space (there is one outside wall that is 10'). I'm planning to...
  7. Gary in NJ

Plumbing in Knee Wall

Having your supply pipes running in the knee walls and crawl space is no different than running them along an outside wall. Do the pipes run through the heated space of the first floor? I sounds like you are going to have to turn the pipe to finish its run in the heated 2nd floor space. No a big...
  8. Gary in NJ

Plumbing in Knee Wall

I love it when an old thread of mine gets revived. Over eight years later, I can tell you that Terry's solution has worked 100%. I took it another step further. I drilled all of the joists about 1 inch from the drywall and then capped my 16"x 10" "tunnel with R-28 above the joists. On the runs...
  9. Gary in NJ

Leaking Pressure Relief Valve

Problem solved. Something new to add to my annual maintenance. Thanks.
  10. Gary in NJ

I can say with certainty that I've never checked that. The expansion tank rings, so I know the bladder isn't compromised. The tank is a Watts EX-30 that has an install pressure of 12 psi and a max working pressure of 75 psi. The problem is, it's installed and in service? How would I check the...
  11. Gary in NJ

Ah...I always leave it open so air can escape. I'll tighten it and see if things improve. When should the valve be opened? Is it only when purging air from a loop?
  12. Gary in NJ

I've seen the Pressure Relief Valve on my boiler blow-off in the past due to to excess air in the system (failed automatic air bleed) or a failed expansion tank, but over the last week the BOV/PRV has been leaking for no reason that I can detect. It's a 30 psi valve and I run my system at 12...
  13. Gary in NJ

Intellidyne HW+ Setup

I thought I'd give a mid-winter update of my experience with the Intellidyne HW+ Between November 1st and January 15th I saw 168.5 hours of "Econimizer" time and 389.1 hours of "Run" time. In that time I've consumed about 470 gallons of fuel. I'm a bit OCD, and as a result I keep a daily log of...
  14. Gary in NJ

Intellidyne HW+ Setup

I think the difference in the temperature is due to the fact that the aquastat is submerged in the boiler while the temperature sensor is as close to the boiler as possible on the output and requires the pipe to fully conduct the heat. I added 24 seconds of purge. A Savings currently at 29.1%
  15. Gary in NJ

Intellidyne HW+ Setup

So I reset the HW+ to its default configuration, including the timers. I then turned the thermostat upstairs (which was set to 62) to 68 - this way I knew I could observe a few cycles. Cycle 1: It took 90 seconds for the initial call at the thermostat for the zone valve to open. This is a...
  16. Gary in NJ

Intellidyne HW+ Setup

Well the temperatures in the house finally got cold enough for me to turn on the heat. I was excited to see how my HW+ would work. The results are...disappointing. Either I have a set up issue or the unit is defective. For the first three cycles I observed, when the Aquastat called for heat...
  17. Gary in NJ

Intellidyne HW+ Setup

Dana, You were correct, the I/R was not reading the copper pipe correctly. The DHW sensor is spot on show 140+ on the output. I set the DLOLIM at 130F and the HLOLIM at 145F. For now I'm keeping the pre-purge @ 000 seconds. I still don't know why it takes 120 seconds for my circulator to kick...
  18. Gary in NJ

Intellidyne HW+ Setup

I think I can answer my pre-purge question - my system doesn't have a pre or post purge feature. The ten second period I was describing above is simply the Honeywell R7184U checking that the igniter is firing and a flame is present. I am confused as to why it takes so long for the circulator...
  19. Gary in NJ

To heat or not heat upstairs

Dana, I did hear back from the sales department at Intellidyne, so someone is manning the ship.
  20. Gary in NJ

Intellidyne HW+ Setup

I have an older boiler that is 3x oversized for my heat load and Dana suggested that I install a heat purging boiler economizer control on my aquastat to help with short cycling and gain some efficiency from the system. I purchased an Intellidyne 3250 HW+. Installing the controller took all of...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks