Search results

1. andrew79

Lamp in Middle of Room (Need Power Supply)

if your looking for mechanical protection why not pull individual wires and put a 3/8's conduit under the floor to the location, toss a jb on the other end and run romex to wherever you need to go or use an emt to flex connector and run the individual wire right to your connection point.
  2. andrew79

Power mystery

hit the nail right on the head.....get it fixed fast. Thats why your getting a power reading on the bad leg but it's turning off when you switch something on. The 120V is comming around through the 240V appliances but there's not enough juice there the actually supply any current. A bad leg from...
  3. andrew79

Connecting a portable generator to home main panel

siemens makes a nice panel for this too....it isolates the neutral as well as both hots by using a three pole breaker with a mechanical interlock and you can size your breakers as you want. Sells for around $180 in canada.
  4. andrew79

Random light and appliance 'dimming'

A thought i had being as your in a complex is perhaps the original contractor stretched things to the limit....meaning he may have gone over the safe distance for voltage drop. Source voltage will fluctuate and if he's just over the length of a safe run things most likely would work fine most of...
  5. andrew79

laundry: washing-machine clearance from switches

I can't confirm this as i'm no expert on the NEC but if there's no washbasin in the laundry then you don't need the gfci's(CEC not NEC). And there's no space requirments between the washer and any switches. Your over analyzing abit i think. Kudos for trying to make things as safe as possible...
  6. andrew79

Two GFCI Breakers in one circuit?

shouldn't matter at all to use em both...why buy a straight breaker when you've already got a gfci there. It's a bit redundant but alot cheaper in your case.
  7. andrew79

Suggestions for becoming an Electrician? Would like advice from current electricians.

some schooling would help but if you want i can go through step by step on how things work....the beauty of doing an apprenticeship is that you get paid right from the start.....it's not much but it's better than nothing :)
  8. andrew79

strange occurance

oddly enough after contacting the manufacturer and a few trade friends of mine and putting our head together we found out that the ground absolutely has to be connected for this type of ballast. They've had this problem with the equipment before and what essentially happens is that with the grid...
  9. andrew79

200 amp upgrade confusion

from what i can see from the pictures it looks like your right HJ....looks like the original meter was located at the front of the house under where the temp connection is attached to the utility side. So in that sense they did originally run the shortest path. My money is still on them showing...
  10. andrew79

200 amp upgrade confusion

that's most definately a temp set up. The power company is indeed responsible for the meter location....your friend may find that when they show up they just tell him to move it back. You don't move the meter without their say so. pretty much everything line side of the meter base is under the...
  11. andrew79

strange occurance

s'ok...got it figured out...thanks for the help guys and or gals :)
  12. andrew79

strange occurance

i've got an update...i had a thought that perhaps all the bulbs weren't seated properly so i went back through and sure enough found one that wasn't. unfortunately this didn't fix the problem. I tested the circuit with both the ground open and closed. Both instances there was zero amps running...
  13. andrew79

Explain Out of Phase Amperage?

i was refering to this. Also just because there's number tens there doesn't mean that you should use a 30A breaker. You would need to know what's on the other end of the line. It may be an appliance that's required to have a 20A breaker as protection and they just ran the wrong size wire...
  14. andrew79

strange occurance

two things to note though are that in theory anyways if there was a short once the ground was connected it should have tripped the breaker. The other is that i'm working off the same pricipal as electronic musical equipment. I know that in house that have no ground you can get shocked off them...
  15. andrew79

Explain Out of Phase Amperage?

small FYI....40A circuit should have number 8's not 10's
  16. andrew79

How many lights on a 15 amp breaker

i'm pretty sure i recall somewhere that a pure lighting load can be loaded to 100%.....having said that i'm not positive and the general rule of thumb is always 80%....which is 12A not 14A as mentioned above. We normally run a max of 11 lights on a circuit.
  17. andrew79

strange occurance

new here and had a very strange thing happen today. The place where my father works is having some renovations done. A new dropped ceiling was put in and some 2 by 4 lights installed. The poor fellow doing the work got tagged off the ceiling grid so i said i'd take a look at it for them as i'm a...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks