Search results

1. Bens

Trouble brewing on waste line?

I had the chance to look up the wall at a galvanized vent which drops down to the first floor. I was surprised when I cut it on the first floor that some rust dropped out. It must have been from farther up the line as normally the steel is pristine in the vent pipes. I didn't see rust near where...
  2. Bens

Funny plumbing fail - advice on offset flange

I'm used to failing the first time through but this one wound up looking like such a noob job I had to share it. I knew it was bad as soon as it happened and just had to laugh. I cut the last piece and thought I could jam the flange with the street elbow together with the rest of the run in time...
  3. Bens

Vents on short toilet branches

We're relocating the toilet even closer to the stack than it was before. In the picture the new flange will be coming down just next to where the joist has been butchered. This means we're talking about a branch to the stack which is maximum 12 inches. The only place to add a vent is in the...
  4. Bens

Solvent Weld P-Trap Best Practice

When using these solvent welded p-traps is it considered good practice to introduce a threaded coupling between it and your sanitary tee for future maintainability ( repair, replacement, etc ) or are people fine solvent welding these directly to the roughed in drain line...
  5. Bens

Advice on relocation of old closet bend.

We uncovered a slow leak which had been going on for a while. While we have the ceiling and bathroom opened up we are considering moving the toilet about 11 inches over. The space is very tight for running plumbing. I'm wondering if the best thing to suggest to the plumber is to close off the...
  6. Bens

Gurgling Sink

I just completed installation of a new kitchen sink and have a gurgling drain. This happens every time the sump pump turns on. A quick inspection of the situation reveals the problem - The new drain line was connected to an existing line just above where the sump pump discharges. When the pump...
  7. Bens

Explain Out of Phase Amperage?

I'm just trying to fit my head around something. I have seen 240 volt circuits run to two 20amp breakers connected with a bar, sitting next to each other in the panel. I understand that you get your 240 volts out of the two sides of the power drop from the electric company which are out of...
  8. Bens

Name that tool

Just had an embarrasing run-in with a professional plumber. Took him 5 minutes to unclog the drain I had worked at for 2 hours. He used a magical device I have seen before but never named...something like a high pressure plunger. It consists of an air tank he pumps and a spout end with a rubber...
  9. Bens

200 amp upgrade confusion

A friend of mine is renovating his new house before he moves in. He had a guy upgrade his service to 200amp. The guy did a great job relocating the breaker box in the basement, great job wiring inside the house. When I looked at the new drop, though, the questions began. He got a permit. So...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks