Search results

1. JOHN_P

Securing a freestanding faucet

I'm no expert and am sure others might have better ideas, but you might consider using a drop elbow mounted below the floor. See here for illustrations that might give you some ideas: http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/52-332-brass-sweat-fittings.aspx
  2. JOHN_P

Help! how to take off old Gopher tub Faucet handles

Hi, I'm no expert but just finished two bathrooms, and since you have access to all of the plumbing and want to replace that anyway, why not just cut out the old pipes and replace everything with new? Since it looks like you're dealing with galvanized, if you replace with that, for a first time...
  3. JOHN_P

Landscape Fabric Under Tub?

I just put in a Sterling Vikrell tub, tossed the fabric and did the mortar base with thin plastic over it. All seems pretty good to me, and yes, I think all of the ridges might conform a little better to the mortar without the fabric.
  4. JOHN_P

Sterling Ensemble Shower -- A Few Questions

Hi DigitalMan, That's odd. I had purchased the tub from Home Depot, there was no felt pad, but returned that one and custom ordered a deeper 32" model. That one came with the felt pad (which I tossed because I did the mortar (and that turned out great though I was so worried when doing it)...
  5. JOHN_P

What kinda wrench would help?

I think you're looking at cutting away some of the stud in order to do that. You'll need to no matter what to put another elbow on. I'd go with a sharp chisel and cut just enough away that you'll be able to remove the elbow and hopefully you'll be able to use a channel lock type pliers or...
  6. JOHN_P

Remove old Tub shower and add a new one

After looking at a lot of tubs and surrounds, I'd recommend looking at the Kohler/Sterling Accord tub and surrounds. The tub is made to match up perfectly with the walls, they are very solid, look very very very nice. I looked at the Maax and Lasco products, but once I saw the Accord one, I...
  7. JOHN_P

Connecting pipe to new shower valve

I've soldered a lot of pipe in my house so far with no leaks, but can see why the threaded adaptor to pipe option might be considered. I thought of going that way too when I did mine. Why? I thought (which might be common among non-pro plumbers): - hmmm, if I mess up the joint to the...
  8. JOHN_P

Bathroom exhaust fan vent flashing

The way the previous owners of our house had it, the duct from exhaust fan was kind of just tied up there below the roof vent (which to me seemed fine, maybe not perfect, but ok) Well, last year I had the roof shingles redone, in the process of removing the shingles, apparently the duct work...
  9. JOHN_P

Framing inside basement glass block windows

Thx for being honest. :) In my case, I couldn't drywall to cover the block because it would have left too narrow a gap to open the window, but yes I could have finished it off a little nicer for sure with some thinner material. Actually when they are clean, they look pretty nice, not...
  10. JOHN_P

Here's another one. Hope this gives you some ideas.
  11. JOHN_P

Well, I'm stuck and can't figure out how to upload files here. I have done exactly as you have with framing. In one area, I did drywall on the bottom and sides of the opening, left a gap so it's not touching the walls just in case water should get into the window. In my basement office, I...
  12. JOHN_P

I'll snap a pic right now of how I did my basement windows. Not glass block, but exact layout as you have.
  13. JOHN_P

Mounting Delta body sprays & wall mount shower spray on Sterling Accord tub wall

Thanks again hj. I was just about to size up for where I needed to start cutting out the ribs when I realized the 30" deep model I have, well, it won't accommodate the width of the body spray unit. After dry fitting the walls, I realized then that the center of where the tub drain/faucets go...
  14. JOHN_P

washer floor drain flood

We had this problem some years back and found that it was the underground waste line that was plugged up due to a crack, any heavy volume like that from the washer would always cause the problem. A very expensive solution to that problem, hopefully yours can just be augered out. One thing I...
  15. JOHN_P

Sweating a Shower Valve

Here's a link to an earlier thread and more info on L/M copper: https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?5164-Copper-L-vs-M
  16. JOHN_P

Mounting Delta body sprays & wall mount shower spray on Sterling Accord tub wall

Hi HJ, They are separate units. This is the valve and diverter combo used: http://www.deltafaucet.com/bath/details/R18442.html The dual body spray/diverter module is mounted separate and above the main control valve. The only way I can see to install that is to grind away enough ribbing...
  17. JOHN_P

Refinishing hard wood floors w/ stains

If you're up for sanding the floors, you might be able to get it in pretty good condition. When we moved in, the hardwood floors in the family room were under old glued down carpeting, so stained even black in some areas, I thought that there was no way we would ever get this to look good...
  18. JOHN_P

Hi Jim and thank you for your reply. I'm pretty committed to installing this tub/surround as I've already returned two others that wouldn't have worked with the cast iron tub well (without being a pastry chef with caulk), so I went for this combo that needs no caulk (why do I hate caulk so...
  19. JOHN_P

Basement Bathroom Flooring options

You might consider looking at Stilelock ceramic tiles. A few weeks ago Lowes just started carrying these and I thought the idea was interesting. Ceramic tiles with no grouting. Essentially they are ceramic tiles encased in a very hard but somewhat flexible carrier that has tongue and groove...
  20. JOHN_P

Delta bath/shower valves "with stops". Not sure if I need "with stops" or not

Thanks Terry, and thanks for all of the great advice you've made available on these forums!
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks