Search results

1. rkhanso

Water Softener trouble - fix or go with new?

It looks like the new bypass valve did the trick. No dripping now. Is there an easy way to get all the water out of the salt tank by putting the softener into some sort of service mode? Or just siphon it out like it was a gas tank?
  2. rkhanso

Well, after reading more about the kenmore bypass valves on the forum here, I'll try a new bypass valve first. At $45, it'll be a cheap try.
  3. rkhanso

I have a Kenmore softener that I installed about 5 years ago (bought it new). It replaced an older Kenmore softener that quit working. I chose another Kenmore since the plastic bypass valve that was used would fit into the new softener and no changes there were required on hook-up. Though, I...
  4. rkhanso

Kenmore Softener worked for 2 years, now salt tank full of water

Hard copper. That would be a good test though. No larger than 1/8" thick o-rings at the local big-box store. Home Depot has 3/16" thick available via online order https://www.homedepot.com/p/Crown-Bolt-1-3-8-in-x-1-in-x-3-16-in-Buna-Rubber-O-Ring-85278/203574597 I can't get it to stop dripping...
  5. rkhanso

I had some spare o-rings from when I installed the softener and put them in (yes, I put silicone grease on them before putting them in). Still leaks on just that one side. I hope the body is not cracked. The water appears to be dripping from between the male/female parts. I wonder I might just...
  6. rkhanso

I found the leak. The water inlet, where the bypass valve goes into the softener is leaking. I suppose I'll have to replace the o-ring. Hopefully there's no cracks in the plastic. Have to figure out the procedure to take that apart...
  7. rkhanso

I don't know if it drains all the way down. Yesterday, I manually pulled water out of the salt tank as far as I could reach - there was probably 8-10" of water left (no salt). I added 100lb of salt yesterday and set it to recharge last night. Today, I see the salt level between the 3 and 4...
  8. rkhanso

In installed the kenmore softener new a couple years ago. It replaced an older Kenmore softener. I stuck with Kenmore since the shutoff/connections are the same from the old to the new for an easy install. It's been working great until recently. I noticed the salt tank full of water. Yes, I've...
  9. rkhanso

Softener appears to be working, but no soft water

Wait. It turns out I fixed this a month ago. I saw the brine draw problem and fixed that with the venturi parts. After that, I kept testing the water at the kitchen sink, cold only...because I knew that the hot water would be hard yet from the water heater. It turns out, that the kitchen...
  10. rkhanso

I checked the bypass valve today. It is OK. all 4 o-rings are good. I think my test of the fast-rinse drain water just verifies if the brine cycle works....if the salt water gets to the resin. I really don't believe it actually tests the resin, but just that there was soft water/brine in the...
  11. rkhanso

I gave it one last go - since my budget isn't letting me get a new softener yet. I took the unit outside, dumped out the brine tank. Took the head off the resin tank and took the basket out. The resin seems OK. It's not much, it holds up when pinching it between my fingers. There's a lot of it...
  12. rkhanso

Well, I did take the Venturi apart to replace the flat gasket/washer, as well as the 2 small o-rings where it pushes into the rotor/disc area. I did clean that all up. The only bypass is the one on the softener that pushes left or right. I took that apart and the 4 o-rings in it are OK. I...
  13. rkhanso

I took the head off to see if the smaller o-ring at the top of the tube was shot. It's nice and round shaped. It seems a little 'dry,' but seems to seal OK. The large o-ring under the rotor/disc housing seems OK also.
  14. rkhanso

Crud. Just found out the home protection plan we got when buying this house doesn't cover the water softener.
  15. rkhanso

A funny thing, when I wanted to see if the brine was in the resin tank and did that test with shutting the bypass valve and putting back to service....I told my wife not to use any water - but my son brushed his teeth at that time. He said "Dad, I think we have soft water now" - I had a good laugh.
  16. rkhanso

I did not take the top off of the resin tank. I shined a flashlight behind it and saw the level 7/8 or so full at one point. The lowest I saw it (guessing that it was actually the resin only) was a little over 1/2 full - again, just shining a flashlight from behind the resin tank to see the...
  17. rkhanso

I think there's a misunderstanding here. I originally saw a brine draw problem. I replaced the venturi diaphragm and then put in a rotor disc seal kit. I was trying to fix the brine drawing problem, expecting that would give me soft water after a regen or two. After I saw the brine level drop...
  18. rkhanso

Still no soft water. Giving up on this one.
  19. rkhanso

I ran it through a fill and brine cycle, then closed the bypass and cycled the head back to service.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks