Search results

1. Frugal-Mike

Kinetico 60: Repair, Rebuild, or Replace?

I think I'll leave it where it is then. There are ball valves at both ends so turning off the water quickly is not an issue. The gate valves for the bypass have worked OK for many years, but I'll look them over carefully when I have everything apart and won't hesitate to replace them with ball...
  2. Frugal-Mike

The old filter currently has a activated charcoal filter in it, but I don't think it adds any value. I was thinking about leaving it empty like you described in a previous post. I would have thought that it would be better to have the softener remove the iron before it gets to that filter...
  3. Frugal-Mike

I fear this project is going at a glacial pace. I still haven't taken the Kinetico 60 apart yet but I've spent some time thinking about how I would layout things differently. Though sharkbites and pex might be easier, I've decided that, since everything else in the house is copper, I would...
  4. Frugal-Mike

Good Idea! We've never done that. I'd noticed Sharkbite in the stores, but didn't give it much thought. That and Pex would make a re-layout fairly simple. Does the Kinetico fit between the spin down and the brown filter? I assume the meter still goes after the brown filter. Sounds like the...
  5. Frugal-Mike

Thanks for the feedback. I'll order the Rusco and include an extra filter screen. I have another question, this time about the pre-filter placement. Here's a picture of the current layout: I assume the normal position would be on the incoming line on the left before the tee that goes...
  6. Frugal-Mike

I've come to the conclusion that my Kinetico 60 can probably be made to work without major modifications. I probably have crud in the valve and I'll need to disassemble it to clean it out. I've done this before so I'm not worried about the process. Before I do this, I need to install a...
  7. Frugal-Mike

That sounds reasonable to me. Thanks, I'll read up on the turbolator. Sounds like it would be less expensive than replacing the entire brine tank. Thanks for the clarification. I hadn't really thought about the time to dissolve the salt. That's a very good point! Thanks, Mike
  8. Frugal-Mike

That's good to know. All I saw online were 1 cu. ft. bags. How difficult would you expect it to be to unscrew the tops off these 25 year old tanks. Will I new new gaskets/seals to put them back together?
  9. Frugal-Mike

I must have something wrong. If I round 0.41 up to 1.0, I get: 4.44 + (2.15 * 4) + (1 * 2) = 15.04 Both tanks are 8x40. I saw one guy posted here saying he found a couple of "retired" Kinetico 60s cheap locally and used them to piece together a good one. I used "Search Tempest" to check...
  10. Frugal-Mike

I have a Kinetico 60 water softener that was purchased by the previous home owner in September 1985. My home is on well water and I've owned the home since 1996. The system worked fairly well until the well pump impeller disintegrated in 2005 causing little plastic bits to show up occasionally...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks