Search results

1. turbotech

well pump ground wire

Good point. It probably is steel and no way could I handle that.
  2. turbotech

well pump ground wire

I already bought the tripod pipe. It was $30 total. I have some scrap steel that I can make the top tie in point. A cheap 3000lb 12v is $50-$100. I figure I will have less than $150 into the tripod. I also have access to a case 580E backhoe that would work for pulling the pump. I was going...
  3. turbotech

well pump ground wire

Even with a SF of 1.6 for the 1/2HP pump it would still only max. out at about 5 amps during run. Starting current is probably about 20 amps. The 12-2 w/ground is fine for the length of the wire.
  4. turbotech

well pump ground wire

It is a 1/2 HP 240v motor. Using ohms law and assuming a .8 PF it is below the recommended 3% loss. Start up current will drop more. If you factor in the temperature of most of the wire in terms of resistivity then it gets even better. The 12/2 w/ground is fine for this app. in terms of...
  5. turbotech

well pump ground wire

One other thing about the ground wire. When I do installs on a car that have dangling wires I use a piece of sealed heatshrink like the kind used on the well pumps. The kind which oozes glue when heated. I place it over the end of the wire. This allows me to be able to use the wire later on...
  6. turbotech

well pump ground wire

Thank you. I didn't know the ground wire was a recent addition to the motor. I agree about the lightning strike being unpredictable. The ground wire can help, but it can't be a guarantee that it will save the pump. Is it common practice to replace 20 year old wire in a well? I work on a lot...
  7. turbotech

well pump ground wire

When the pump started acting up I looked up material cost. I new what a pump assembly, wire, pipe, etc cost before the well company looked at it. I also tested and new the pump or motor or both was bad. I was unsure if the original 20 year old pump was in the hole. Overall, they did a good job...
  8. turbotech

well pump ground wire

The original 2-wire w/o ground GOULDS pump was install in 1990 when the place was first built. So it lasted 20 years. The new Franklin pump ($1200) is a 2-wire w/ground pump. When they said the original 2-wire needed to be upgraded to w/ ground I was OK with it, but not happy about the $1.81/ft...
  9. turbotech

well pump ground wire

You are correct. My statement was wrong. I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that. Assuming a max. of 25 ohms at the two ground connections and a 0 ohm path (almost impossible) in the earth itself gives: 220 / (25+25+0) = 4.4 amps. That would not trip the breaker. What is the purpose...
  10. turbotech

well pump ground wire

I completely agree. The only proper way to connect the ground is from the pump ground wire to the panel. When they installed my new pump that had a ground wire they said they had to replace the existing 2-wire w/o ground with a new 2-wire w/ground. Since there was not an existing ground wire...
  11. turbotech

Did I just screw up???

Thank you for the link. I was surprised that only regular stainless steel screw clamps were used to hold the pump assembly to the poly pipe. I figured it would be more exotic. Something like the clamps I use for doing EFI fuel line or the T-bolt clamps I use for build turbocharger piping.
  12. turbotech

well pump ground wire

What is the purpose of this new ground wire? If a hot wire breaks and hits the well case then the ckt breaker will trip with the old 2-wire w/o ground. If a hot wire breaks and hits the well cap with the new 2-wire w/ ground then the ckt breaker trips. If the well cap was designed for a good...
  13. turbotech

well pump ground wire

Something about the ground wire dawned on me the other day after having my well pump replaced. The original pump that failed had 2-wire 12 gauge w/o ground. The new pump had 2-wire 12 gauge w/ ground. The installers simply connected the new ground wire to the well cap. They did not run it...
  14. turbotech

Did I just screw up???

I am new so this may be a dumb question. What does it take longer to make the connection to 160 or 200 psi pipe? Are there any threads describing how to properly do all 3 PSI rating connections? Is the connection done by warming the pipe and installing the fitting, then use two screw clamps...
  15. turbotech

new well pump and other stuff

When I used the tool to do the search it came up with using CSV and CSV1Z. I thought they both had to be installed. Are you saying that I could just install the CSV1Z right before the pressure tank? Would it go before the pressure tank check valve or after it? The picture at...
  16. turbotech

Deep Well Pump Runs 1 Cycle then cuts off.

I just went through some of the same things you are seeing. First, I lost water pressure. I pulled the cover off the switch and saw the contacts were closed so the tank was calling for water. I put a meter on the feed side of the switch and it had 220v. All was good there. Measured the switch...
  17. turbotech

The tank is 20 years old now so I figure it is worth it to replace now. I looked at the Well X trol and the Flexcon tanks. I think I might go with a Flexcon composite FL28 / H2PF82 and a new Tee package from aquascience.net. It looks like the CSV needs to be installed when the well pump is...
  18. turbotech

The tank looks great externally. What is the average tank life? I was thinking of replacing it because I thought 20 years would be about the end of life. There was some dirt in the tank that I flushed out when the pump failed. I may have a little more in it now to flush out. I did look into the...
  19. turbotech

Thank you all for the explanations. By the description it is a system much like my air compressor except for the inlet part being different. Gary, I understand about the head feet being referenced to the water height below the ground. I looked at the Franklin FPS 7gpm 1/2 HP curve and it...
  20. turbotech

After the pump was installed I looked up some info on it. I paid $1200 for a Franklin FPS 1/2 HP, 7GPM pump and motor. It seemed like a high price but I can't verify it yet. The new 10-2 w/ ground seemed expensive at $1.81 / ft. I needed 350 feet total. Online it was only around $0.85 / ft...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks