Search results

1. greenpoint

Replace or fix cast iron toilet flange???

I came to the conclusion that I had two choices, (1) find a plumber that would reset the cast iron closet collar, or (2) use a retrofit... I considered all the options...a retrofit seemed to be the most logical for my situation. In the end, I chose the Sioux brand to complete the job. I did...
  2. greenpoint

The OD of the pipe is in very good condition...When you say clean and smooth for a 'clamping' type flange, what is clean and smooth for cast iron? The majority of the original tar is still on the OD of the pipe.
  3. greenpoint

Yep, I'd say it is about a half inch below (jagged edged as it may be) the top of the closet collar. I do have full access (ranch style house), so that is a plus. I just got back from the big orange box store, and all they have to offer is a Sioux brand, white PVC push in retrofit ($15.71)...
  4. greenpoint

So I should not re-use the existing closet collar? When you say "lower hub", are you referring to the bend/pipe? There is only two pieces/parts in total, the closet collar and the bend/pipe that runs to the stack. I am not a plumber so please feel free to correct my terms.
  5. greenpoint

Not sure I follow...the closet collar and the pipe are cast iron. Krow, I noticed your EDIT...I was in reply while you were in EDIT :) I can see the confusion (in the photo the bend looks like it may be lead (jagged edges, not a clean cut), the original plumber must have adjusted the length...
  6. greenpoint

Yes, it is cast iron. I drilled the lead out and saved all of it (some of the lead is clean, and some is contaminated with dirt and wax), not sure if I can recycle all of it, or not? I did find a supplier for plain lead, it is still available, and they have 3/8" oakum also. Is plain lead...
  7. greenpoint

Warning on corrugated toilet shutoff valve

Thank you sir. Now, if I could get my closet collar questions answered...I'd be set :)
  8. greenpoint

Warning on corrugated toilet shutoff valve

Is the compression fitting nut reused?
  9. greenpoint

I just removed the old collar (it was well below the finished floor, and tilted), cleaned it up, and I would like to have it leaded back in place. Will it be a problem if the pipe is below the top of the collar, by a half inch or so? The photo doesn't show the difference in height, to well...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks