Search results

1. Gellfex

Installing a sump pit in a slab that gets pressurized by leaky sewer in a way it won't pop out?

My rowhouse street sewer is incontinent, and charges the street fill so every crack in my basement slab squirts. Not much I can do till the city replaces the 150 year old brick sewer. So I have pumps. I want to install a sump pit, but when I look at commercial ones I fear the pressure on that...
  2. Gellfex

Found an old cleanout hole cut in a 4" cast iron riser, how best to close temporarily?

So as part of trying to solve a 4" cast iron leak disaster, I discovered that a hole had been cut sometime before I bought the building. It had been epoxied, taped over and painted. There also appears to be another hole in the elbow above it! What is the best plan for dealing with these...
  3. Gellfex

Why don't gas water heaters have dampers to reduce standby losses?

I tried searching, and came up with nothing here, and google got a reference to an aborted non-electric product from the mid 90's http://www.homeenergy.org/show/article/id/1319. Is it only that the standard gas model has no electric components to control a flue a damper? surely that would be...
  4. Gellfex

Vent question, no room to do it right, lesser of 2 evils?

I'm adding a sink to an existing stack, and the vent I'm tying into is awkward. It's level is a little problematic, being slightly under the 42 I'd need for the 36" counter high sink, but I think it'll be okay if I can tie into it, however putting the tee on the vertical is out. And there isn't...
  5. Gellfex

Any good way to stabilize a tall kitchen faucet from flexing a drop-in SS sink?

I'm putting a new granite tile counter in one of my rental units. I usually use a self rimming drop in SS sink, and not one of the expensive heavy gauge ones. While I hate the look of the standard lo-rise $50 faucets and think the make a sink harder to use, I've found a taller arched faucet...
  6. Gellfex

Extreme heat trapping: what next?

I installed an indirect WH last winter with heat trap loops, and the hot and cold feed pipes were still quite hot from the 130 deg tank even well past the loops. While the losses from the pipes were fine in winter since it just helped heat the basement where I work, in summer it's all bad. So I...
  7. Gellfex

Could a 50k btu boiler fire an indirect WH for 3 apts?

I ended up removing an 8 year old Mini Therm 50 boiler from an apt where it was heating and firing a 36 gal indirect. I'm thinking that in another 3 family house that currently has a regular 75 gal WH, I could replace it when it goes by buying an indirect for not much more than a replacement 75...
  8. Gellfex

Zone valve or its own circulator for an indirect water heater?

I'm at the tail end of a long "new heating system" story. The short is that I've got a W-M CGi 4E 90k btu boiler running 3 heat zones in my 1300 ft apt, plus a Phase III HL-36 indirect WH. Since I tacked the indirect onto the zone manifold that was built entirely out of 3/4 by the plumbers who...
  9. Gellfex

Is there any acceptable way to glue a PVC fitting onto a galvanized pipe stub?

I'm removing an old sink trap from a relocated kitchen. What was there was a 2" steel soil stack with a tee close nippled right into another tee with the tee part going up as a vent and tying into the vent stack about 3 feet up and the other arm going to the trap. I cut out the horizontal tee...
  10. Gellfex

Properly venting a Wei-McLain CGi-4E boiler into a flue?

I had licensed plumbers install a Wei-McLain CGi-4E a few weeks ago. The venting problem was it goes into a flue along with a standard 50gal water heater. With my old boiler (an HE3), the 3" went into a 4" manifold that received the WH in a wye, and this worked fine. This new boiler is more...
  11. Gellfex

Combicor vs. Genesis vs "on demand" for small unit hydronic heating & H water

I'm adding real heat to my 4th small apartment. The 1st, a pro job, was a disaster, using a small cast iron boiler with a 40 gal heat exchanger on a zone for domestic hot water. It's huge, inefficient and needs constant cleaning. The next 2, also pro installs, used a package known as a...
  12. Gellfex

Anything wrong with this sink addition drain/vent plan?

Hi all. I'm planning to move the kitchen in an apartment, and need to tap a drain line into existing plumbing of 4" cast iron and 2" galvanized. Any critique or better plan would be appreciated. I don't trust the local plumbers to plan this stuff well, the last odd job it took 3 plumbers to...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks