Search results

1. Ballvalve

What gauge wire do I need?

'Electricians' Famously over size submersible pump motor wiring because they never read the Franklin AIM manual. They don't understand the differences between submersible pump wire sizing and shop wiring. Go with the smallest wire size per Franklin.
  2. Ballvalve

What are the opinions on the best well pump heads? Motors not included.

Crazy situation really. And prices all over the place. "Myers S15-10-01, 4" Submersible Well Pump End, S Series, 1-1/2 HP, 21 Stages, 1-1/4" NPT Discharge, 580 ft. Shut-Off Head, 10 GPM Best Efficiency Flow, Stainless Steel Body" $804 pump end all SS only. Then endless Chinese lower head...
  3. Ballvalve

What are the opinions on the best well pump heads? Motors not included.

I see Grundfos, Myers and McDonald with full on stainless steel pump heads including impellers. Grundfos looks best, Myers are quite a bit less, Mcdonald I don't know. Grundfos makes it's own, don't know about Myers an McDonald. Can I buy on price or is their actually any increase over...
  4. Ballvalve

Very odd amp draw at 1.5 hp submersible pump

Coil in the relay tested faulty, points were quite pitted, Looks like it would pull in after the motor started and then release back to start position in a few seconds. That's all I can figure from this odd failure.
  5. Ballvalve

Those insects are really tenacious. They fill up the ends of air hoses and small valves in the system and pressure of 90 psi wont blow them out. Like they make their own epoxy. Have the duct seal, just need more time in life.
  6. Ballvalve

Indeed, never saw such a thing before in any circuit. But the only thing left was the relay, cap's are all good. I am going to autopsy that relay and see if some weird internal fault. Pump ran through a few cycles with an amp draw a bit lower than historic as I have written on the box.
  7. Ballvalve

I did all the AIM manual tests and the pump and wires were all good. Got tired of dicking around and put in a new control box. BY that time I decided that the mechanical relay was the culprit, but didn't want to screw around in that old mud dauber filled box. Damned if it didn't start right up...
  8. Ballvalve

Thanks. Going to redo all resistance tests. So a motor can start at normal 10 amps and then churn up the crud to make it pull 44 amps? Pump has been in water since 2007 with just 4 hours perhaps a year, clean water [800 foot deep well set at 300]
  9. Ballvalve

300 foot well, small use filling cistern. Power in to pumpsaver, 2009 Franklin unit, big box and a 1.5 hp Franklin deluxe control box. CSCR and mechanical relay and reset button. 2007 Off for the winter. Went to start up and pump kicked in and ran 5 seconds, reset blew. Started again and drew...
  10. Ballvalve

Crazy power fluctuations in the house! Weird.

To conclude this, the power company saw 240 volts at the transformer and 215 and 145 volts at the meter and between the hots about 5 to150 volts. Pulled the 500' of underground wires in conduit. wires missing insulation and burnt for about 5 feet in one section and water in pipe. Lightening or...
  11. Ballvalve

Reading the main breaker at the entrance panel with all loads to the house off, it is 82 volts to ground on one leg and 120 volts on the other. Transformer seems only issue... [?]
  12. Ballvalve

Help. I am a contractor and have done much complicated wiring but I am stumped. Lights flickered in the house [ 20 years old, no previous issues] for a few days then resolved. Now again power is variable on the 2 hot lines. sometimes 120v and others 105 volts, you can see the lights at a low...
  13. Ballvalve

PVC drop pipe: male adapters vs threading the pipe

I recently pulled 700 feet of 1" schedule 40 PVC from a well that was hanging for 30 years with little use. Glued on male and female couplers every 20 feet, and no failures at all. Big torpedo sized HEAVY pump at the end. Bizarre!
  14. Ballvalve

Pressure gage for water system - that won't fill with water?

That works, but we all forget about snubbers and GOOD pressure gauges. WIKA is my gold standard and US made - High priced but many NOS items on Ebay not much more than junk imports. My China gauges were lasting a year and the WIKA's still going after 5+...
  15. Ballvalve

Voltage loss in underground cable.. FOUND IT!!!

So now .. I need a recommendation on an underground splice kit for #2 AWG aluminum wire. It is only about 8 feet from the box so I will just splice it there and install a new wire from the splice to the box. I wonder how much current (and power bill dollars) i have been dumping into the...
  16. Ballvalve

Pump protectors/savers - Best for the least $ ?

I have used Franklin pump savers, but the price has tripled. How about Pentair or any others? The one on the link is an old model and I cannot find the horsepower rating...
  17. Ballvalve

Repairing a QD Franklin control box - or not?

Those blue relays are impossible to find and cost $90 from the maker. The mechanical ones are $24 [Chinese] and $35 USA. So in this crazy world I went on Ebay and found a bunch of 1 and 1/2hp control boxes, brand new for $35 delivered. So you get the box and start cap for free. Thing about...
  18. Ballvalve

Moving water tanks up the hill for more pressure - Need advice on piping

The CHP gets a real Gestapo attitude when they block a road. I had to have friends bring gas cans for generators to a checkpoint and make and exchange from fire zone to non fire zone like some damn Berlin wall situation in 1963. They dont care who or what you are, its a real war mentality. As...
  19. Ballvalve

Moving water tanks up the hill for more pressure - Need advice on piping

My neighbor who is a volunteer fireman went off to fight the local wild fire several years ago. Once you leave the evac zone you cant get back in here. I stayed and saved a few of my houses. My neighbor - the fireman's house - burned because no one was there to work the sparks and embers...
  20. Ballvalve

Repairing a QD Franklin control box - or not?

Yeah, maybe one day I'll go over to a CSV;) Really, though, these have been outstandingly reliable. Its just that these boxes are getting really old, 10++ years. You know, like me. I only have one that tests 'off' and the pump was still starting but noisy. I keep back up boxes at most wells...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks