Search results

1. mc510

"Overflow" style pop-up drain on sink w/o overflow?

I think I understand what you're saying, and my sink is at least three inches thick at the bottom so the pop-up drain's overflow hole is definitely going to be sealed between the upper and lower surfaces of the sink. It still seems a little gross to be letting dirty water accumulate on top of...
  2. mc510

"Overflow" style pop-up drain on sink w/o overflow?

My new cultured marble vanity top/sink does not have an overflow hole, but the pop-up drain that comes with my faucet does have holes for a sink overflow channel. I started off thinking that I'd need to discard the pop-up and buy a non-overflow type, but what if I use it? Some drain water will...
  3. mc510

Angle stop outlet is what thread?!

Okay, that's all I really need to know to get the job done; thanks. Oddly, in this thread, HJ says that FIP is tapered pipe thread. I may never understand the terminology. :(
  4. mc510

Right, but I don't know what is meant by 1/2" FIP on the existing flex lines. FIP is tapered pipe thread, isn't it? And that's clearly not what's going on where the existing flex line connects to the existing angle stop.
  5. mc510

I want to attach a tee adapter to the bathroom lavatory cold water angle stop, and am embarrassingly confused by the thread. The flex line that's currently attached says that it has 1/2" FIP on both ends, but it doesn't look or act anything like tapered pipe thread. The tee adapters at Ace said...
  6. mc510

Can't light Rheem 22V40FN

Huh, never would have thought of that .. thanks Mark, I will give that a look when I get back to the house.
  7. mc510

Thanks dj2, great idea; I had forgotten about that!
  8. mc510

Yeah, that's exactly how it works on this Rheem ... Set temperature to "pilot", turn gas control knob to "pilot" then press and hold down, press the sparker button, hear a nice loud click, keep holding button down ... but I don't see any spark or any kind of glow from a flame. Repeat, repeat...
  9. mc510

Yes, there's a gas stove; I tested that and it worked fine. The button is not red -- from the lousy pictures that I took when I was there, it looks green ... but perhaps is gray or black. But definitely not red. I am following the directions to light but I never see a spark or a pilot flame.
  10. mc510

House is currently unoccupied so I turned off the water heater according to instructions, then also turned off the valve on the gas supply line. Now, a couple of months later, I turned the gas supply back on and tried to light the pilot. I don't see a spark when I depress the lighter, don't see...
  11. mc510

Replacing 1950s tub fixture -- advice on selection and installation

Gary, I'm embarrassed to say that I still haven't done the job. As I recall, I came around to the idea that my replacement would be a Delta single-handle, either with the retrofit cover-plate that Terry showed above, or with some tiles patched in to close up the extra holes. But in the...
  12. mc510

Armored cable on wall surface?

Ah, why didn't I think of that? Okay, that will let me properly anchor the armored cable. Now, is it acceptable for me to run that armored cable along the exposed interior surface of my garage wall?
  13. mc510

Armored cable on wall surface?

I want to extend a circuit from an existing outlet (steel handy box) in the garage to a remodel box on the opposite side of the wall several feet away. Because the studs are enclosed with sheetrock, I'm picturing running armored cable on the surface of the wall, then ducking through a small...
  14. mc510

Pipe size when adding bathroom?

Thanks for pointing me to those "fixtures" tables; good information! Most common way we experience this is running the shower in the original bathroom, 5/8" (or maybe it's 3/4") copper piped. Then turn on the shower in the added bath (1/2" copper piped) and the temperature drops in the original...
  15. mc510

Thanks Terry, that's good to know. Do I have some other problem, or is it just normal that shower temperature goes way off if water is used elsewhere?
  16. mc510

Previous owner of my house added a second bathroom, with permits. They did not, apparently, re-do the original plumbing (which looks to be 5/8 copper) but just tapped-in with ½ inch copper to go to the new bath. I'm guessing that this is the reason that the shower temp (either one) goes off...
  17. mc510

PP Crown Imperial interchangeable with Crown Imperial?

HJ, I want to replace everything that's in one of those Kissler kits, so I guess the question is if the rough-in valve body (being the only part that I wouldn't replace) is the same for all of the related trim styles? What's the "holder nipple"? If it matters, I've got Crown Imperial, not...
  18. mc510

PP Crown Imperial interchangeable with Crown Imperial?

[EDIT - Please disregard my idiotic subject for this thread .... I mean to ask if Crown Imperial is interchangeable with Verve.] There's a Price Pfister 2-handle Crown Imperial set in my shower stall (installed around 1970 if that matters). I'm thinking about a rebuild kit to replace all of...
  19. mc510

Help identify 3 handle tub fixture from 1950s?

It's Sterling. It's a mystery where those Briggs-y looking handles came from. Good to finally know what I'm dealing with. In the meantime, it's become apparent that it's leaking inside the wall. :(
  20. mc510

Replacing 1950s tub fixture -- advice on selection and installation

Okay; thanks everyone. Anyone able to ballpark the likely billing hours (or cost) to have a professional remove the old fixture and install a new one? Probably requiring that the tub faucet also be replaced with one that has the diverter control built-in. I don't know whether or not to assume...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks