Search results

1. SemiHandyRon

Ready to get a new softener

Many thanks for the due diligence!
  2. SemiHandyRon

There is indeed a split in the ferrule. Although it seems logical that the tapered end would go in first, does this split allow air leakage? I suppose I could hot-foot it down to Home Depot and buy a couple without a split.
  3. SemiHandyRon

I'm stunned...and annoyed! Thanks, Gary!!
  4. SemiHandyRon

Running a manual regeneration now. No air bubbles noted in Brine Draw tube. All is well! Thanks much.
  5. SemiHandyRon

Fleck 2510sxt - Problem with losing my settings over time

I have a new 2510SXT myself. Only "settings complaint" thus far is that it doesn't keep clock-time very well. Seems to gain about a minute every two days.
  6. SemiHandyRon

Arrgh! I see what I did wrong: I removed those little open-ended brass sleeves, mistakenly thinking they were closed-end plugs. I just found where I had cast them aside, so can reinstall today. That's what I get for doing this part while fatigued.
  7. SemiHandyRon

I think I followed the directions correctly, but will reevaluate. Thanks. Those little brass plugs are supposed to be removed, right?
  8. SemiHandyRon

Well...there were no factory tightenings on these. The thing came as a four-box kit, and I attached both ends of the brine line according to directions (compression bushing correctly positioned, nut tightened slightly past hand-tight, etc.). Maybe I'll need to use some teflon tape, pipe dope for...
  9. SemiHandyRon

Air leak--hmmm. Any advice on how to track it down and fix?
  10. SemiHandyRon

I report--success! After several delays, I finally got it installed strictly DIY. Two people at work advised me to go the SharkBite route, but I decided to go the solder route instead so I watched all the YouTube videos I could on how to solder copper pipe. Being a first timer, the soldering was...
  11. SemiHandyRon

Culligan Medallist Woes

Same thing happened to my Culligan Medalist. I had no confidence with a DIY repair job, and the Culligan guy stuck me $300 to fix it (lamented elsewhere here). No more Culligan for me.
  12. SemiHandyRon

Good stuff! Proceeding. I might be back here in a panic when I mess things up. But I installed by own RO system and emergency backup sump pump OK, so I give myself a 78% chance of doing everything right.
  13. SemiHandyRon

Yep--things break down. I just object to a repair bill that amounts to almost half the cost of a new softener. Now investigating Fleck 2510SXT 40K units. Prices at qualitywaterforless.com and ohiopurewater.com are nearly identical. Anyone have good/bad experiences with either?
  14. SemiHandyRon

Yep--salt was being used up at the normal rate with each recharge. Something inside the valve body went wrong once before: the unit would reach the end of the recharge cycle, but water kept running down the drain. Eventually, a little "call service" light would illuminate. The first few times I...
  15. SemiHandyRon

<red face> Well...I don't have a pressure gauge. I have a Watts Pressure Regulator model N35B that came preset at 50 PSI, which I have cranked up to its limit of 75 PSI. Thus my conclusions about adequate pressure is subjective: it "seems" fine no mater what we're doing. I wondered if the...
  16. SemiHandyRon

Stunning. Either that dealer is being sloppy or is being...you know. Any other dealer you recommend me using instead? You da man, Gary!
  17. SemiHandyRon

Wow...cannot confirm or deny anything the city might have done. On the big blue, see previous post. Thanks for the reply; you've given me something to think about!
  18. SemiHandyRon

Chlorine is only 1.2 ppm here per the city water official report. My own tests read less than that. But in any case, I have had a big blue filter for the life of the unit except the past six months. The wife kept complaining about the result of no chlorine: greater prevalance of "that pink...
  19. SemiHandyRon

Hmmm...maybe what killed my w/s is what killed my w/h, which died at age 6 years, 1 month spewing rust. (That's a new Rheem w/h sitting next to the w/s.) Checking with the city water department, our water contains no iron and no manganese. Any thoughts on what forensic steps to take? Hardness...
  20. SemiHandyRon

My 7-year-old Culligan no longer softens the water, so I'm going to scrap and replace it. I'm not dealing with Culligan again because of the way they overcharged me on a repair. Having done my "due diligence" of softener sizing (profound thanks to Gary Slusser!), I'm thinking of replacing it...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks