Search results

1. BigEdgar

Help diagnosing a no-water situation after a freeze

Hi, we lost water pressure from our well and I'm looking for some help troubleshooting. We recently had some much colder temps than usual (typical winter temps can get down to the 10s, but recent temps were down to –15). Our well head, pressure tank and switch are all housed within a heated pump...
  2. BigEdgar

Electric baseboard - 1 of three units won't turn off

Hi, I have a set of three 1500w electric baseboards that are tied to a single thermostat. I noticed this weekend that one of the three baseboards is running constantly and won't turn off when I turn the thermostat way down. The other two units properly shut off when I turn down the t-stat. I'm...
  3. BigEdgar

Warm water delivered to cold supply lines

Hello, I'm having an issue with warm water being delivered to a cold water fixture. Our water heater is in the basement. When I turn on the cold sink faucet in the 2nd floor bathroom, we get about 5 seconds of cold water, followed by about 15 seconds of warm water (85 degrees) and then we get...
  4. BigEdgar

Hot water heater reset button tripping on old and new HWH

Hi, we have a 40 gallon electric hot water heater in a small apartment above a garage on our property. When we bought the house, the HWH would occasionally stop heating water and I'd have to hit the red reset button on the tank, at which point the water would heat again for a while, only to trip...
  5. BigEdgar

Temp and pressure drop in Gas HWH

Hi, We've got a 50 gallon gas HWH that was installed in 2005 (State is the manufacturer, model PR6 50 X0DS - see http://www.statewaterheaters.com/lit/partslist/res-gas/185507-000.pdf for details). We've never had any issues with this HWH, but last week I noticed two changes that occurred during...
  6. BigEdgar

Wiring a 3 wire 220v dryer receptacle with a 4 wire setup

I have 220v service to a box in my garage. It's served by a 4 wire setup (two hots, a neutral and a ground). I want to be able to charge my electric vehicle from this location. The EVSE (ev charging cord) that I'm going to use comes with a 10-30p plug, which requires a 10-30r receptacle. This...
  7. BigEdgar

Help removing a brass shower drain

Hi, I have a fiberglass shower unit that has a brass drain. The shower unit is set on a concrete pad, so there is no access to the underside of the unit without tearing the whole shower unit apart. The drain is leaking (I see water seeping into an adjacent room after the shower runs). As a...
  8. BigEdgar

Exterior HID hums loudly when switch added

Hi, We have a family cabin with a detached garage, and this detached garage has a bright HID light out front. We use it in the winter time to light the driveway for sledding (should be an olympic sport :) When we bought this place, the HID was only able to be turned on via flipping the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks