Search results

1. KBF

PEX, Water service from meter to house, DIY project????

I now have a totally new respect for those in the plumbing profession...spent all day yesterday digging the trench for my water service line in the pouring rain. Even with the motorized trencher, it was really hard work.
  2. KBF

Unfortunately, our water lines seem to be separate (we have separate meters and I didn't see any connection for them in the common wall). It'd be great to share the expense, but doesn't look feasible. But a good thought! And the location seemed to be the most accessible according to the...
  3. KBF

Yes, it's certainly the complexity of the inside connection that I suspect is adding to the cost. The current incoming water service line is in a common wall in the corner where the 2 parts of the duplex meet. So without busting out the drywall on my neighbor's side, it's a really tight...
  4. KBF

Got a quote from the plumber to just connect the pipe at the meter and in the house. The meter is straight forward (connect pipe to meter, already dug out), but then to connect in the house, they need to bust a hole in the foundation, run the water service pipe up through that hole, connect it...
  5. KBF

Thanks, Terry. Yeah, it's about 150 feet from meter to house, but it's a small place with one bathroom. Even with the temporary hookup I have (from meter to outside spigot using my garden hose), the pressure seems fine.
  6. KBF

I've measured the OD of the copper pipe on both ends of the meter/house line. The meter side pipe is .88 OD, so the reference table tells me that's 3/4 CTS. And the inside copper pipe is 1.13 OD, so that's 1" CTS, correct? Is it unusual to have a smaller line coming from the meter than...
  7. KBF

I've been thinking about that. I'll have to see if they have a bit that will accommodate a 1" line with a protective sleeve (maybe something like 1 1/8th or 1 1/4 ?). I suppose I could dig outside to the right depth, drill a small hole to determine where it should come into the house (right by...
  8. KBF

They didn't itemize the bid, but I suspect that the high cost is due to: 1) having to break a hole through the concrete foundation to connect inside, then make the connection and repour the concrete. It's in a really tight and awkward space, so may be more time consuming. And their labor...
  9. KBF

So now I'm kind of confused. Is PE the same thing as Polypipe? Is polypipe a brand of PE type pipe? I do know what I'd like is something flexible and can get a length of about 150 feet so I don't have any joints/connections except at the meter and in the house.
  10. KBF

Peter - thanks for your input. I just came back from the plumming supply store, and they recommended I use "Polypipe" instead of PEX. I don't know what Polypipe is - do you (or any of the other plumbing experts out there) know what that is and why they might have recommended that over PEX?
  11. KBF

I live in the Seattle area, and the code here is actually only 24" below ground - it rarely freezes here and never for too long. Where I'll be going into the slab is the first time a water line will be there (no previous connection from that point, but it's right next to where the old water...
  12. KBF

I have to run a new water service line from my meter to my house. The problem is 1) it's awfully expensive to have a plumbing company do it (quotes have been around $6-7k!!), and 2) I think I can do it myself, but haven't really worked with this sort of thing before. I have no real...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks