Search results

1. Alan Muller

Champion, yet again

Have read so much about these that when offered a free one, I called AS for the new flush valve, installed that, and set the toilet at a low-use location. Tank 4260, date March 2005. I don't see any mechanical problems but it just doesn't seem to flush consistently. Sometimes it barely...
  2. Alan Muller

American Standard Cadet floor mount, rear outlet, Anybody recognize this toilet?

It's supposed to be American Standard. Does the tank match the bowl? Useable china? Thanks.
  3. Alan Muller

8.5" Rough In

Fix the toilet you have! Fix the toilet you have! Unless the china is actually broken, it should be a minor project compared to the options previously discussed.....
  4. Alan Muller

Experiences with the Eljer Canterbury 1.6?

Model 081-3025 I see the MaP rating on these is 600 but that's obviously not the whole story. How do these work in practice? Any major design problems? Thanks. http://www.eljer.com/assets/documents/eljer/spec/SpecSheet_2489.pdf http://www.eljer.com/assets/documents/eljer/parts/Parts_2489.pdf
  5. Alan Muller

14" Rough-In Toilet Choices

I don't see the point of making a big fuss about a 14" tank. As noted, it doesn't move the bowl. So unless having the tank sit out from the wall really bothers you, just use a regular 12" toilet. Or use the Toto setup that actually positions the toilet correctly. But unless the china is...
  6. Alan Muller

Epoxy cracked toilet bowl?

We have an Eljer two piece round front made in 1999. I'm not familiar with the model--it has a large jet in the front, a barrier around the flapper. Bowl shape would make it hard to plunge. The house froze and there's a crack in the bottom of the passage to the jet. Is there any good...
  7. Alan Muller

Where to get European style rear spigot toilet?

I'm thinking of the style with a 4" rear spigot outlet about 7" (centerline) above the floor. This seems a logical approach to a job where it would be a lot easier not to have to go into the floor. Has anyone used these? Experiences? Where to get one? The only common source in the US...
  8. Alan Muller

3 Liter or .8 gallon toilet Canadian designed Proficiency toilet

Hmmm. This design seems to slightly resemble the Briggs Vacuity. Lets hope it works out better. 3 litre/flush is impressive if it works.
  9. Alan Muller

Question about leveling toilet.....

I'm setting a bowl in an old house. The floor slopes towards the front of the bowl by about 7/16" over the front-to-back of the bowl footprint. But the top of the bowl--where the seat goes--is close to level. (It's level side to side) Wondering if the top is supposed to slope back and I...
  10. Alan Muller

The Differences of Drain Systems between US and Europe

My impression: Sometimes when people say "washdown" they mean a toilet that puts all the flush water in from the rim and doesn't have a syphon jet to fill the trap and start the syphoning. Sometimes they mean a toilet that isn't "syphonic" at all. Big difference. Almost all US toilets have...
  11. Alan Muller

1997 Am. Std. Lexington (2037) one piece 1.6 gal/slush

Can anybody advise as to what to expect from one of these? It is mechanically a simple toilet and seems to have a decent flush. Are clogs or other problems common with these? Thanks for any guidance.
  12. Alan Muller

Rear Outlet Toilets Kohler Barrington or Caroma Sydney Smart Back Outlet Round Front

This Caroma is a European-style rear-outlet toilet. The outlet is 7 1/4 inches (centerline) above floor and connects with a rubber compression-coupling thingy. Quite different from a US style rear-outlet bowl. Seems potentially very useful for a situation where a stack is accessible but...
  13. Alan Muller

Copper toilet flange into cast iron pipe issue

IMO: Taking out the copper from the CI hub and putting in PVC with a donut would be reasonable. I'd not expect the donut to leak if you clean out the hub thoroughly and use a donut that fits (they come in different sizes as not all cast iron is the same). But since you already did the...
  14. Alan Muller

Roughing in drains in 2x4 wall

This seems like a dumb question, but: For hanging sinks and such, I'm used to seeing 2-by blocking. But with "2x4s" now often running as skinny as 3 1/4, there is no easy way to fit both 1 1/2 PVC fittings and 2 x blocking into a wall. My inclination is to use something like 1" plywood on...
  15. Alan Muller

Why is no one using 3/8" pex?

I would not use a Manablock. My experience with one is that the valve actuating piece twists off and the wrench breaks. Vanguard sent me new valve cores but the design defect remains. It's also pretty easy to cross-thread the inlet ports if you aren't careful.
  16. Alan Muller

Why is no one using 3/8" pex?

pex sizing Lots of supply houses and home centers stock 3/8" pex. With the Manabloc you will have to get a different fitting to connect 3/8 to the ports. My experience is this: 3/8 is good for lavatory faucets where flow doesn't need to be high and you get hot water faster due to the smaller...
  17. Alan Muller

KISS Toilet

You keep mentioning Fluidmaster. That generally refers to the fill valve and has nothing to do with how the toilet flushes. The Fluidmaster is a good product, but so are some others. It's the flush valve (usually a flapper) that influences flushing performance. Looking for a 3" flush valve...
  18. Alan Muller

Insulated Tank?

For what it's worth, I found our tanks (1.6 gal hoppers) sweating due to cold well water and a water-cooled heat pump keeping the system full of cold (55 deg) water. Tends to make all the cold-water pipes sweat, too. I'm gonna try to reposition the draw-off for the heat pump so it doesn't...
  19. Alan Muller

Vacuum Breaker Flush - Household Use

If you really want to use a flushometer, I you could put a well (bladder) tank somewhere and run a 1" line to the flush valve. That would give you a complex, noisy and expensive version of a Flushmate toilet, but you could set a top-entry pressure bowl close to the wall. European toilets...
  20. Alan Muller

American Standard Cadet 3 Three Toilet consumer product review

I used to use them too, then thought about it and wondered "why put in a nozzle smaller than either the bowl outlet or the line it feeds into? What can be the benefit of creating that obstruction?" (Just measured the ring that came with the Cadet: nozzle outlet is about 2-9/19". Measured a...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks