Search results

1. pensfan84

New Kitchen Gas Line Install

What I refer to as the 'main' is the shutoff that is outside the home, at the meter. Sorry if I did not use the correct terminology. As for inside the home - there is only one shutoff, the branch that goes to my gas dryer. Yes, that would be my reasoning for a shutoff on the branch, to allow...
  2. pensfan84

My home is 80 years old, and unfortunately the previous owners did not install a single shutoff aside from the main at the meter. I'm going to install a shutoff at the branch that goes off to the kitchen, and another right before the connection to the range. Is this not the best idea?
  3. pensfan84

Okay, simple question. I'm extending an existing gas line in my home for a gas range installation. I'm going to install a few new shutoffs and extend the line into the kitchen - my question is this: what's the best sealant to use on the pipes when I connect them together? Is teflon tape...
  4. pensfan84

New Lavatory P-Trap

I'm installing a new lavatory in a fully gutted bathroom - I am able to take care of the drain and vent properly (thanks to many of you on this forum) but my question relates to the fittings for the P-trap. Everything is 1 1/2" ABS, so I am wondering which fitting I should use to connect the...
  5. pensfan84

Toilet Install - Flange and Unifit Question

I'm installing a Toto Vespin toilet in a newly remodeled bathroom and am wondering where I should install the toilet flange and the unifit rough-in - should I attach the flange to the subfloor and therefore also the unifit rough-in to the subfloor, or should I install both over the tile floor...
  6. pensfan84

Water Lines - Increasing Pipe Size

Terry, Based off of the link you gave me, I fit into the 1' per branch category. would you then recommend 1" to supply the main branch, then each area (e.g. kitchens, bathrooms, laundry area) be reduced to 3/4", and then again to 1/2" for each fixture? or what way would you recommend?
  7. pensfan84

Need help with roughing layout.

Steve, I can't speak for your situation, but due to the help with other people on this forum, I was pointed in the direction of using a sanitary tee with a side inlet to be able to do both. Granted, there can be no drains above this coupling on the stack, to allow these units to vent...
  8. pensfan84

Shoddy Electrical work

Same here - 80% of my house is knob and tube, and all on one single circuit. Home inspector missed it by a mile. Which is why I'm in the process of a whole house rewire...
  9. pensfan84

Well...I'm installing a new bathroom on the second floor and the house currently has 1/2" throughout - it's old and starting to get deposits in spots and causing problems with pressure. Also, I looked at the main shutoff a little closer and saw that it's actually 1" coming into the house and...
  10. pensfan84

The water line coming off of my main shutoff is 1/2" - am I able to increase the pipe to a larger size right after the main shutoff without losing much pressure?
  11. pensfan84

Soil Stack Question

Right - 2" is both code and is appropriate for everything that is being vented. That's not my question - I am wondering if a 3" stack will work just as well as a 4" would for my scenario.
  12. pensfan84

Rewiring

I know that I don't need any 15A circuits, my question was more along the lines of which rooms need to be on their own circuits for outlets, and should the light fixtures be on their own circuit separate from the outlets? Or is it easier just to wire each room's outlets and light fixtures on...
  13. pensfan84

Supply Lines

I recently purchased my 80 year old home and am beginning to remodel. During the process, I will be replacing most of the existing iron and old copper pipe with new copper supply pipe. I've read that it's a good idea to supply the bathrooms that have both a toilet and a shower with 3/4"...
  14. pensfan84

Toilet Drain

This toilet is installed highest on the soil stack
  15. pensfan84

Stack Venting - Toilet and Shower

Nope, that's all. Thanks for the info
  16. pensfan84

Stack Venting - Toilet and Shower

I've communicated with a master plumber on another forum, but wanted to check with you all on what he said. I have a toilet that is 4' away from the main stack, and a shower that is 2' away. Is it possible to install a fitting like the one below to stack vent both the toilet and the shower?
  17. pensfan84

Rewiring

I'm having my service updated to 150A with a new box to support on Tuesday. I will be rewiring as much of the house as possible. In this process I will pull out whatever knob and tube I have access to, and the rest I will just disconnect from the panel. I know the code I need to follow for...
  18. pensfan84

Soil Stack Question

4" existed before, minimum regulation here is 1 1/2" for the vent.
  19. pensfan84

Soil Stack Question

I recently tore out my old cast iron stack in my house and am in the process of replacing it with ABS. I've replaced the vent portion thus far from the basement through the roof flashing with 2" ABS. I've also connected to the main cast iron pipe in the basement floor using a 4 band fernco...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks