Search results

1. Jfharper

Is it ok to for a sub to pump directly into pressure tanks?

I'm assuming it is. But I thought I would ask if it was ok and what things to watch out for. The long story: Currently, my holding tank is leaking at the outlet. The holding tank is on a platform about 25 feet off the ground which make is challenging to work on. The leak is pretty bad, but...
  2. Jfharper

Well Electric Meter?

I was wondering if there was an inexpensive way to meter when my sub and/or booster pumps turn on and for how long. I've already recorded how many watts each uses by looking at my house electric meter, but I wanted to measure the pumps usage when I am irrigating, or whatever water usage. Just...
  3. Jfharper

A Big Thanks to the Guys on this Forum!

Really. The time you guys put on here answering questions for those of us trying to manage our house and family for our water supply is so very valuable. I just didn't want you to think you weren't super appreciated. Thanks again. Its rare to find people so willing to help and available...
  4. Jfharper

Is my Flow Reducer necessary now?

I just replaced my sub to a 1/2 hp 16 gpm from a higher volume 1 hp, maybe 35 gpm if I recall correctly from when it was tested when we bought the property 20 years ago...cannot find the test papers to confirm. There was a 20 gpm dole flow control reducer between the sub and the holding tank...
  5. Jfharper

Help Identify Pump Switch?

I'd like to replace this old switch but I don't know what it is called or if the newer ones of today look the same. It goes between the float switch in my holding tank and the control box for my sub. It is 240v and turns on automatically when float is low in tank. It also has a safety...
  6. Jfharper

Is Ground Wire necessary on sub pump?

I'm installing a new sub and it has 4 wires, RYBG. My wire running up my drop pipe has only 3-wires, RYB to my control box. The old sub only had RYB coming off of the pump and that is how it was wired to the control box. Is the G wire necessary?
  7. Jfharper

Goulds J10S Humming

I'm on a well and my booster pump is humming when the pressure switch is engaged manually. I recently replaced the starting capacitor, even swapped in a new spare to test, same hum. Pressure switch is new as well. Power went out last night in the neighborhood, this morning, I went to manually...
  8. Jfharper

Mfd question on j10s pump?

Capacitor that came out of it was 161-192 mfd, difficult to find 192, 193 is readily available, is it ok to use 161-193 mfd?
  9. Jfharper

Booster struggling to turn on?

Lately, my booster pump has been turning at a slower rate than it has in the past. Today it was really struggling to turn on, so I turned off some drip line I have on constantly, so the booster would have less usage until I could fix it. Well, the booster probably cooled off and it was tryng...
  10. Jfharper

Cut in pressure question?

Just replaced a pressure switch and pressure tank (I have two pressure tanks) and set the switch to 40/60 and the tanks to 38psi each with tanks empty. When I turned everything back on and after first fill up, I watched the pressure drop (after a number of minutes) slowly to 42 then the...
  11. Jfharper

How close to bottom of well can place a sub?

I need to drop my 1hp sub, how close to the well bottom can I go? Casing is 6".
  12. Jfharper

Is it OK to glue pvc drop pipe couplers for submersible well pump?

I have to drop my sub a little due to water table drop. I pulled up the drop pipe a little and it is sch 40 1 1/4". There is already a glued adapter going from the 1 1/4" to 2" galvanized which is right under the well cap...the rest of the drop pipe is the pvc sch40 1 1/4". My well depth is...
  13. Jfharper

Is it ok to change well pump flow restrictor down from 20 gpm to something less?

Have lived here for 15 years and am on a well with sub, holding tank, booster pump, and two pressure tanks. Our county has seen water basin problems due to believed too much agriculture, growth/ development and not enough rain. Basically they think there are too many straws in the water basin...
  14. Jfharper

Holding tank was empty this morning...

Hi, I think my holding tank went empty this morning. We ran out of water, and I manually flipped and held the switch to the booster...the booster came on but sounded funny, as soon as I released the booster switch it shut off. My guess is the switch has a safety thing where it will not turn...
  15. Jfharper

About to rebuild booster pump, could someone please review my procedure?

First time doing this, it has a pretty good leak that has gotten worse over time. Booster is a goulds 1 hp J+ (J10) pump. I got the rebuild kit already. I plan to rebuild the booster this saturday in case it takes me a while, and my plan is below...could someone with knowledge of this type...
  16. Jfharper

The well seal bolts broke...now what?

We began smelling the rotten egg odor after the water sits in the lines for a few hours and googled the problem to discover we needed to chlorinate the system. So I read a few procedures online, and one of the first few steps is to remove the well cap via bolts removal. So while loosening...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks