Search results

1. saraujo

Securing a flange extension

Yes, of course. Another bonus of the Sioux Chief is a better groove for silicone and it mates better with the edge of the existing flange so it should seal more easily. Scott
  2. saraujo

Yeah, I also feel like the Sioux Chief is less likely to warp or bend later and cause a leak after installation. It's sturdy enough that I thought about using the Johnny bolt mounts on the Sioux Chief but I think I'll still use mounts on the original flange, just so the bolts hold the whole...
  3. saraujo

So, answering my own question again... I was able to pick up the Sioux Chief ring at a local hardware store. It's just a tad shorter but much more sturdy. It's made of rigid PVC, the Oatey 1/2" ring was a more flexible plastic. It also has lots of mounting holes so I can find some that...
  4. saraujo

Maybe answering my own question... This is 7/16" high (close enough for me), has lots of options for screwing it down, and would probably let me use it or the existing flange for the Johnny bolts. http://www.siouxchief.com/Drainage/ResidentialDrainage/Closet-Flanges/Raise-A-Ring.T5FEX...
  5. saraujo

I am tiling the floor in my bathroom and will be re-installing the toilet. I am in a top floor condominium so I don't have access to the plumbing below. The floor is a weird combination of 1" of concrete over wooden subfloor for sound insulation so I can't readily break through it from the...
  6. saraujo

Mounting a Toilet: Grout, plaster, or putty?

When I caulk the base of the toilet, should I seal it all the way around? It seems like that is code in most places but it also seems like many people leave a gap at the back to detect leaks. I'm on the top floor of a condo so being able to detect a leak before my downstairs neighbor tells me...
  7. saraujo

I think the toilet shims are probably great when the bowl rocks and you want to slide one in without removing the whole toilet. No need to cut, just jamb it in there. I got some composite shims and test fit the base. It didn't even take a full thickness shim to bring it to level. I also...
  8. saraujo

Thanks for the info. I did plan to use shims for levelling the toilet but had only seen the small clear ones near the toilet items in the store. Thanks for the tip on the composite door shims. It's a white toilet so caulk will match fine. I wouldn't dream of using silicone, that stuff...
  9. saraujo

I am tiling my bathroom floor. It's currently a little off level and may still be when I'm done. I'm planning to re-use my existing toilet for now to limit the costs. I want to mount it in such a way that it will be solid and level even if the floor is not and I want it to look good. The...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks