Search results

1. theBigSee

Shower Diverter not diverting fully

I recently bought a house that has a tub/shower with the 3-stem configuration (hot, cold, diverter). All three stems leaked from the stems, plus when the diverter was switched to shower mode a stream of water would still run out the tub spout (about 10% of the flow) so I replaced the hot and...
  2. theBigSee

Brand-New 1/2" PVC ball valve is leaking

Just put in a solvent-weld 1/2" PVC ball valve as a shut-off valve on my sprinkler system. It shuts off great but when I turn it on, a trickle of water comes out of the handle. Nothing to do but to cut it out and replace it, right? Any suggestions on a replacement that WON'T leak, so I don't...
  3. theBigSee

Aquia II for 11.25"?

I installed 2 Aquia II's in my old house with a 11.5" rough-in. I can't remember but I think there was still a tiny bit of space near the wall. My new house has a 11.25" rough-in, and I really would like to put in the Aquia II, it would be sad to be without one! Can someone out there measure...
  4. theBigSee

Why I Think Americast Tubs Are Junk

When researching replacement bathtubs on this site, I was surprised at the generally positive reviews that Americast received. When I removed my old Americast tub last January after barely 11 years of average use, it was a mess of cracks in the resin on the underside -- and this is a tub that...
  5. theBigSee

Galvanized for gas in fireplace?

So I did the right thing and spent a solid amount of money to have a licensed/bonded plumber run a gas line to my fireplace. I came home last night to find everything beautifully done. However, he ran black pipe outside the house and when it transitioned inside, it's galvanized, right into the...
  6. theBigSee

Landscape Fabric Under Tub?

On the verge of installing a Swanstone Veritek tub (yes, I know it's not cast iron, but it's the only one that fits my alcove). I installed a similar Sterling Vikrell shower base several months ago and it came with a sheet of spun landscape fabric as insurance against squeaking, which I put...
  7. theBigSee

Typical Cost to Install Toilet by Plumber?

Just was talking with an old friend (and I mean OLD -- 89 years old) and he said that the plumber who just did $1300 worth of work on his septic tank said he needs a new toilet. I don't doubt it since my friend has lived in the same house since 1952 and has done ZERO upgrades -- the toilet...
  8. theBigSee

Opinion on alcove extension (with illustration)

I'm really frustrated at the lack of choice for a new bathtub for my 60" x 30" (stud-to-stud) alcove. There's just so many more options with a 32" tub. The only way I could use a 32" tub is if I put a 4"x4" floor to ceiling at one end of the alcove to extend the width (see Option 2 in...
  9. theBigSee

60"x30" Alcove, tub options?

I just tore out my 10-year-old Americast tub in our tiny bathroom. For all those who wonder if they are good tubs, I say NO! Water pooled to the right of the drain for several years, and when I pulled it up, I found out why: Several long stress fractures in the resin backing. I suppose if...
  10. theBigSee

Running a gas line to fireplace

There's a gas line that runs through the attic no more than 6 feet from my chimney (single-story home). I'd like to run a gas line to the fireplace, which as far as I could tell would entail putting a tee into that gas line, running a pipe towards the chimney, then down through the wall along...
  11. theBigSee

Tying PVC into Cast Iron Drain -- in Los Angeles

If you go to any hardware store in L.A., seems like all the drain stuff is ABS, and PVC is just for sprinkler systems it seems. I am not sure why that is, but you don't really see PVC on drains around here. Anyone have any idea why this is? I want to use a Watco Flexible Waste/Overflow on...
  12. theBigSee

Offset Tub Overflow, Plus Narrow Tub

I'm replacing my tub and I'm in a really tight alcove (60" x 30" stud to stud -- no wiggle room). The only tub I can find that will fit is a Sterling Performa (60" x 29" -- the nailing flange goes right to the edge of the alcove!). First off, does anyone know of any other manufacturer of...
  13. theBigSee

Bathtub Drain Assembly Install When No Access?

I'm putting in a new tub and there is virtually no access to the underside/back parts of the tub once it's in place (my house is on a slab and there's a furnace right next to the front part of the tub). How do I install the drain assembly? All the instructions say to put it on the tub, then...
  14. theBigSee

Recessed 1.5" Nipple Removal?

I'm replacing my bathtub and the drain line has a 50-year-old 1.5" galvanized nipple coming out of cast-iron that I need to remove. Problem is, the nipple is in a16" diameter pit and completely below the level of the foundation (I'm on a slab) and I can't get a good grab it with a pipe wrench...
  15. theBigSee

Frameless shower door install

Just put in a Sterling Finesse frameless shower door -- looks great and I followed the directions to the letter, but unlike my old framed shower door, there's a bit of a gap at the bottom where the bottom seal meets the bottom track. The door can't go down any further as the inside flange on...
  16. theBigSee

Converting utility sink to standpipe

I have a utility sink with a 1.5" trap going into the wall. Right below it (and about 6" above the floor) is a 1.5" cleanout. All the drain lines are cast iron. Before I start tearing out drywall, I wanted to know if there is going to be a 2" line right under that 1.5" cleanout, or if it...
  17. theBigSee

Silicone bead around pre-fab shower

Installed a Sterling Ensemble Curve shower stall recently and then put greenboard around it. Following manufacturer's suggestions, I left a 1/8" gap between the greenboard and the shower edge to be filled in with silicone. Hired a guy to do the finish work on the drywall and came home to...
  18. theBigSee

Delta Thermostatic Valve Question

Just put in a Delta Thermostatic Valve (R19000-WS rough-in; T19288 trim). There's separate volume and temperature controls. Never used one of these and I followed the directions for temperature calibration and I've found that with the water calibrated for as hot as possible (I like hot...
  19. theBigSee

Cleanout cover installation

Just got one of these (http://oatey.com/Plumber/Shared/ProductGroupDetail/370/Stainless+Steel+Cover+Plates.html) to hide a recessed cleanout cover. The cleanout plug is brass. How are these covers usually secured? Do you just drill a hole into the middle of the brass nut and screw the bolt...
  20. theBigSee

Need help on retail side for Sterling shower unit

Ordered a Sterling Ensemble Curve 36" shower unit about 2 months ago from a large local Southern California plumbing wholesaler. Was going to go to a big box store but saved a lot using my Dad's contracting license. It took about 5 weeks for the unit to arrive, and the back panel was cracked...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks