Search results

1. Kreemoweet

I'm at my wits end with this corrugated copper pipe. How to stop this leak?

Pictures above seem to show those flex lines are using the donut o-ring style washers. I encounter those a lot on garden hoses and they're terrible. I always replace them with ordinary flat garden hose washers. You can buy real 3/4 in. NPT flexible connector washers, I would suggest using them...
  2. Kreemoweet

How on earth do I remove this faucet?

Basin wrench. Basin wrench. Basin wrench. It was mentioned above, but not emphasized enough. It is the standard tool for turning nuts up underside of sinks (i.e. "basins"). They come in different designs, lengths, and sizes. Every service plumber in the world has an assortment in his toolbox...
  3. Kreemoweet

Maximum distance between water closet and vent

Different plumbing codes (and there are several in use in the U.S.) have different requirements. Sometimes VERY different requirements. If your local jurisdiction uses the 2018 IPC, then I suppose you are good. If not, then what it says in the 2018 IPC is irrelevant.
  4. Kreemoweet

Is this an acceptable fit for FIP gas valve?

You're missing the thread tape or pipe dope on the the tapered pipe thread joint. Hand assembly tells you nothing. And tapered pipe joint fittings NEVER "go all the way".
  5. Kreemoweet

Long-term longevity of suspect sweat joints

A sweated joint does not have to have 100% solder coverage to be reliably leak-free.
  6. Kreemoweet

Odd leak from edge of end of bathtub

Water is sneaking in somewhere behind the tiles. It may be prevented from running out at the bottom of the tiles due to the caulk bead, so flowing along the tub rim until it can exit at that corner. I've enountered this many times. Most tub rims I've seen are not conducive to good water...
  7. Kreemoweet

How on earth do I remove this faucet?

The only reason to turn #11 is to set the proper height of the valve body #8 above the sink surface. This is done by hand, no tools needed! (Notice that the instructions say "Hand Tighten"!). It is #10 that is turned to remove the valve from the sink. As has been said, you can immobilize #11 (if...
  8. Kreemoweet

Terrible smell near hot water heaters

"There is a garage above ... ".
  9. Kreemoweet

Confused about the 10 foot head DWV test

It means 10 feet of water above any piping that is meant to be under test, plain and simple. I've seen plumbers temporarily attaching a 10-ft stick of pipe (can be any size) above the roof vents to make sure their test was all copacetic. I've heard a lot of inspectors will not be so demanding...
  10. Kreemoweet

Toilet flange too high?

Gosh, lookit that decrepit old lead toilet bend! Guess how many minutes longer it'll last until it holes and starts leaking? Guess how much more of a hassle it'll be to fix it later, instead of now? Oh, and of course replacing it now means the flange height problem will also be solved!
  11. Kreemoweet

Health / perfomance concerns with using HVAC (ACR) / refrigeration soft copper for residential potable water?

Soft copper is miserable to work with, unless you just need a few short lengths with flared ends. It comes in coils, and is difficult to get any kind of straight without kinking. You will need big tubing benders and know how to use them, you can't just bend it by hand. It is also ovaled out by...
  12. Kreemoweet

220 to 110 European outlet.

You need to be more specific. You can not use a cable with uninsulated neutral on a branch circuit, if that's what you mean by "service entrance cable". Also, multiwire branch circuits (i.e. with shared neutral) are certainly allowed, but it would be better to use a double-pole 20A breaker for...
  13. Kreemoweet

Stove hood exhaust

Ever tried to roast the Thanksgiving turkey in a kitchen with no exhaust fan? 'Nuff said.
  14. Kreemoweet

How do you check a knock arrestor?

The bigger the pipe diameter, the greater the capacity to absorb shock, and the longer it takes to lose the air. Most of these little plunger-type arrestors I've dealt with barely work when new, and fail completely soon after.
  15. Kreemoweet

I'm at my wits end with this corrugated copper pipe. How to stop this leak?

No ones's mentioned yet the possibility that the male adapter has a leak in its threads . . . this could happen if the copper was not quite thick enough to support the depth of the threads cut/formed in it, somewhere in that threaded area. It seems we're running out of options here . . .
  16. Kreemoweet

Is there Any Advantage using a 17 Gauge Waste Drain Pipe over 22 Gauge Pipe?

17 gauge used to be required by the plumbing code here in Seattle, then it was changed to 20 gauge. I've never seen that enforced anywhere. The cheap crap 22-gauge stuff they sell at the Big Box Stores will wear through in 5 to 10 years. I've had to replace about a half-dozen cheap metal P-traps...
  17. Kreemoweet

Sillcock and Hose Bib Shut Off Problem

Threaded plumbing joints are made up with TWO wrenches, one on each side of the joint. Sometimes there is no other option than to open up walls, interior or exterior, to access and repair a damaged plumbing joint. That's the price one must pay for insisting that pipes be invisible to occupants...
  18. Kreemoweet

Sink Strainer Misaligned, installed with Silicone

Years ago, there used to be available tubular drain size components made of actual PVC, which could be assembled either with slip joints or with glue. Although why anyone would choose glue, I dunno. Maybe to make vandal-proof?
  19. Kreemoweet

Neutral Wire's Plastic Insulation Turned Brown

It would be quite unusual to find a GFCI receptacle in a location where GFCI's are not required by the electrical codes. Therefore, I question your intention of using a non-GFCI instead (unless you're planning to maintain GFCI protection by using a GFCI circuit breaker). Unless the wire...
  20. Kreemoweet

Sanitary tee in horizontal position for vent to drain transition?

Regardless of what the UPC says, it is allowed in some jurisdictions as a practical matter, because that UPC rule is nonsense.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks