Search results

1. locus123

Frost free identification... so close, yet so far

So I have 3x of these 10" frost free units outside. No access inside. Prior owners drywalled the basement and left no access hatches. I've replaced 2x of the interior stems with the interior stem from this Aqua Dynamic. The last unit looks the exact same on the outside, and even has an Aqua...
  2. locus123

Old Frost Free units... replaceable or SOL?

We bought a new (older) house. The prior owners installed frost free faucets outside. They're probably 20ish years old. Leaking of course. Inside the house, they've drywalled over where I could access it, so replacing them is a real PITA. This old version doesn't have an anti-siphon on the...
  3. locus123

Brand new solenoid for humidifier - leaking?!?!?

Hooked up a brand new solenoid to my humidifier. Old one was locked up. After installing this one, it's leading where the brass(?) fitting connects to the actual solenoid. This wasn't something I assembled - it was supposed to be a simple "hook water in, hook water out" and done. The...
  4. locus123

Low clearance recessed lights...

I have low hanging ductwork that is framed in with 1" of clearance (they used metal RC strapping). It's against a wall in an area that needs some lighting. Does such a solution exist where recessed lights are less than 1.5" (0.5" for drywall) deep? Originally I planned on using LED lights...
  5. locus123

Tapping into 4" drain

Is there any kind of special fitting out there for literally tapping into a 4" drain? It's ABS, running in a side wall in the basement, almost completely surrounded by spray foam - there is about 1/3 of the pipe still visible on the top. It runs horizontal on the wall for about 15' right past...
  6. locus123

Plastic vs brass inserts for pex

Does the insert matter for pex? I know the ferrule has to be plastic for pex, but what about the insert? If it matters, this is for a 1/4" poly/pex/plastic line (whatever is standard with a humidifier - not sure if it's pex) running into a 1/2"x1/4" supply stop. The 1/4" side is a...
  7. locus123

Unique icemaker supply stop valve

I'm trying to hook up my icemaker/water inlet for my fridge (Kitchenaid). Apparently it's a 5/16" line. Rather than convert to 1/4", then connect to my 1/2" water line, does anyone know if the following supply stop valve exists and where i might be able to order it from? - 1/2†Quickgrip...
  8. locus123

Recommended dishwasher for tankless??

So we already made one mistake when we had our Whirlpool Duet Sport HE washer installed, then realized that the way it constantly turns on and turns off doesn't allow it to draw any hot water from the tankless. Is there a recommended dishwasher for those of us with tankless water heaters? I...
  9. locus123

Water forming behind vapor barrier

I've got an old double brick house in Toronto that was recently renovated (ie. new studs, insulation, vapor barrier, drywall). One wall, the East facing wall, has a significant amount of water on the outside of the vb at the base of the wall where the 2" or so of vb sticks out on to the floor...
  10. locus123

Soil pipe cutter equivalent for ABS

Is there an equivalent tool for cutting ABS pipe like a cast iron soil pipe cutter? The ABS is in a tight area with lots of wires and pex around it, and I'm afraid I'll cut something if I use a sawzall. Any ideas or tricks of the trade?
  11. locus123

Moving the main drain stack ever so slightly

We're renovating the kitchen found the main drain stack in one of the walls that separated the kitchen from another room. We're taking that wall down and extending the kitchen. The stack is right in the way of where the countertop would extend, causing us to have to build a bulkhead somewhere...
  12. locus123

Simulated handicap bathroom drain mashup

The only thing I know for sure is that sh*t runs downhill, it's the little things that have stumped me. I'm trying to save some room under a sink in a bathroom remodel, and the guy at the plumbing store put this contraption together - but neither of us are plumbers, and he said to "check with a...
  13. locus123

Screwed up joist line up for fixtures

We just had our bathtub delivered, and upon fitting it in it's space I noticed that the studs on the valve/drain side are 16" OC starting at the wall. This puts a stud almost directly in the center of the tub, right where all the valves, shower head, diverters etc are supposed to go. Placing a...
  14. locus123

Toilet drain replacement

The current toilet drain had a 4" hole bored into an 8" joist - needless to say, the joist was very bouncy and I'd always wondered when I would come crashing into the kitchen on the toilet. I've replaced the joist and I'm looking for an alternative to routing the toilet drain. Straight line to...
  15. locus123

New second floor bathroom: Drain design check

I'm renovating my second floor bathroom, and wanted to have someone give me a yeah/hell no on my drain/vent design. I've spent most of the day trying to figure out how/when to vent, and I think I have it figured out, but "think" isn't good enough, I'm looking for a second opinion. So, it's a...
  16. locus123

Tankless and pex supply line clearance

I've been doing a lot of reading, and I kept seeing some people recommending 18" of metal supply line clearance from water heaters, some saying it doens't matter, and some saying contact the manufacturer. I just did the latter, and thought I'd post their comments and solicit the forum. I...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks