Search results

1. Eldan

Replacing steam boiler

They probably used copper because it's easier and quicker. Iron is better. I don't think you need to be a "master plumber" to install a steam boiler but you do need to know a few things. If you saw a tank or pump in a steam system it may have been a condensate return system. You wouldn't see...
  2. Eldan

Replacing steam boiler

If you follow the manufacturer's diagram for near boiler piping to the letter, and you do it in iron instead of copper, you might come out alright. But there are other aspects of a steam system besides installing the boiler. Do you have the right size boiler? You need to measure the total EDR...
  3. Eldan

Replacing steam boiler

I agree with Peter, but to answer your questions: 1) the U-bend pipe is comprised of the riser, header (top of the U), and equalizer. The steam that is created has equal pressure on both sides, so the water is not pushed out of the boiler. I can't tell from your picture but where the...
  4. Eldan

Strange hot water problem! Help a newbie!

Is it a single handle faucet?
  5. Eldan

Starting total bathroom remodel:

There are sources on the internet for most any fixture model you could want. Personally I think the model number thing is simply an attempt to create retail exclusivity. Hard to price compare a specific model when only one store carries it... Big boxes might sell some junk but they also have...
  6. Eldan

Practice soldering.
  7. Eldan

If you've got the whole wall open it shouldn't be too difficult. This reasonably handy DIYer did it all through an 8x11 oval. Knowing what your finished depth will be is important. One thing. Can I strongly recommend the Delta Multichoice instead?
  8. Eldan

Wiring new thermostat to the furnace

wallygater, the radiator is probably oversized. Covering it won't help. A one-pipe TRV works by closing off the air vent when the room comes to temperature. If the air can't get out, the steam can't get in. The radiator is effectively shut off. Without a cover or other obstructions you can...
  9. Eldan

The hardest thing about installing TRVs is figuring out which parts to buy. The part you referenced is just the 1 pipe steam adapter. You also need an contoller and a vent. You have choices on the controller. You can get a direct mount, or one with a remote thermostat connected to the actuator...
  10. Eldan

TRVs The steam will go wherever there is less pressure, which is not necessarily the way you think. What's probably happening is that the upstairs radiators are oversized, or you have faster vents upstairs than downstairs. TRVs are definitely what you want. If the attic is not inhabited you can...
  11. Eldan

Alternative Changing the location of the thermostat may not work as well as you think and could make the overall comfort of the home worse. It sounds like the upstairs is getting too warm when the downstairs is comfortable, a common problem. If so, you should look into installing thermostatic...
  12. Eldan

Insulating steam pipes

It's not just the heating bill. Heating uninhabited space is wasteful, but more importantly, steam systems were designed to run with insulated mains. They didn't put asbestos on the old systems to save money. If you run a steam system into cold uninsulated pipes you will create too much...
  13. Eldan

Insulating steam pipes

Look for fiberglass pipe insulation with "all-service jacket" ASJ. It's white, not shiny. Also, don't buy it at Home Depot. They only stock 1/2" and that's not thick enough. Assuming you have a 2" mains you want 1" minimum thickness. ASHRAE code is 1-1/2". You can also find PVC fitting covers to...
  14. Eldan

shower help - can't stop the leaking

I wonder...what kind of "threading compound" did you use? And did you put any on the union mating surface? (Don't.) Did you use a backing wrench when you made the joints? (Do.) Use brand new red brass unions. Double check that pipe dope. Maybe try the pink teflon tape instead. In my...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks