Search results

1. Charles2000

Adding standpipe to vented shower run

drain The shower drain will only be 12" above the P-trap. The pipe in the picture was just an odd piece I stuck in to show that something goes up. The floor level is actually at the very top of the final 1/8 bends of the vents. My garage is about 24" lower than the bath floor.
  2. Charles2000

redoing copper sweats

Yep I've done this too. Yep, just wipe with a rag. I wipe immediately after sweating a joint too, just 'cause it looks prettier. Charles
  3. Charles2000

Thanks! Thanks nhmaster & HJ, Very reassuring! nhmaster: The 1-1/2" vent for the shower is dry and comes off at 45° from horizontal, I'll review my understanding of when that's appropriate for a horizontal run. HJ: The 2" piece for the standpipe P-trap will emerge through the band...
  4. Charles2000

Jeez, here's the pic Sorry, I didn't mean to post that. I had trouble getting the picture to embed. I hope this works. ------------------------- After laying out my shower drain run I got a bright idea (actually, my buddy's wife suggested it -- I'll take any blame, though) I could easily...
  5. Charles2000

After laying out my shower drain run I got the bright idea that I could easily splice in a washer standpipe for the garage, through the band joist. I stubbed together the layout below to illustrate my question. The section on the far right is for my proposed washing maching standpipe and...
  6. Charles2000

Is this vent above the toilet legal?

Thanks! Thanks HJ, I just can't tell you how reassuring a simple nod of the head like that can be. I got mysef worked up into a tiz' on this darn piece. I think I'm learning how to see things by rearranging them as you described too. Thanks again, Charles
  7. Charles2000

Is this vent above the toilet legal?

Hi all, Would this venting arrangement be proper? I'm still in design mode here. Although not drawn -- further down, this 3" vertical stack will go through a vertical 3"-4" bushing and a 4" SanY with cleanout and then through two upright 45* bends to transition to the main 4"...
  8. Charles2000

ABS/PVC glue-up. Rules of thumb?

Thanks Mike, Yep, I have been burned by neglecting that. BTW a silver sharpie *rocks* when using black ABS. Charles
  9. Charles2000

Hi all, Quick follow up on he dry fitting thing. It works. A super-PITA with the 3" an 4" stuff, but it measures the same before and after cementing. I'm cutting with a chop saw so the ends are square, and wetting to help insertion (no comments please) and of course drying and cleaning...
  10. Charles2000

Actually, I've seen that advice here before and had my antenna up. I measured the pipe lengths from the bottom of the sockets and can tolerate a little error in most of layout anyway. For fun, I'll measure a dry-fitted join before and after cementing and see if there's an appreciable...
  11. Charles2000

Awesome. Thanks. All of it makes sense and the picture is coming into focus. One friend also advised, "have lots of 22-1/2 bends on hand for jiggling things." So far I've managed to get it done without them. Charles
  12. Charles2000

Hi all, I've designed and fitted one leg of my new DWV for the toilet and shower. Thanks to advice from the forum I'm confident of the sizing and layout. I'm now preparing to cement things together and wonder if there's an order to gluing-up that you more exeprienced people have arrived at...
  13. Charles2000

Toilet directly atop soil stack

Once again, thank you all. I'm pretty clear about venting below the toilet with a sanY, and the potential for noise. I imagine this will end up being a straightforward and even boring install, so please pardon me if I don't follow up with pics. If it should become exciting or instructive...
  14. Charles2000

Terry, I got a lot from this diagram while working out my own layout, it's tidy and illustrates several principles. I was thrown though, the first time I saw it by the 45-degree slope of the second floor toilet drain, as opposed to the usual 1/4" per foot slope. Is this a specially tolerable...
  15. Charles2000

Ah. Probably why it's not common. I'll see if it's possible to fit in a closet bend if it'll help, and insulation sounds good. It will drop through the basement so should be livable in the worst case. Thanks all.
  16. Charles2000

Thank you HJ, I will use a 2" SanY below the flange and then take it up to the principle DWV stack above the second floor flood levels. Is the toilet directly atop the stack a very unusual arrangement? Cheers, Charles
  17. Charles2000

Hi all, I think this is a simple question, but after scouring this forum and others, I'm suprised at not finding an answer. Briefly, I can simplify one section of my DWV layout if I can place a toilet directly on the top of one 3" column of DWV soil stack. That is, no closet bend, just a...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks