Search results

1. dankoos

Repairing dual layer drywall

I had to remove a section of drywall in a living room. Come to find out it had two layers of 1/2" drywall (fun times removing). This is an exterior wall. Can i use 1/2" thick furring strips (verticle or horizontal?) and one layer of drywall as a replacement or just do two layers that were...
  2. dankoos

Flooring transition with 7/8" height difference

We converted a single car garage into two bedrooms. The house sits higher than the former garage (garage floor was at ground level). We spanned the old garage floor with 2x10's and after all flooring was installed, the "entrance" to the new rooms (there will not be a door here, there is a...
  3. dankoos

New Bathroom Next to Current Bathroom - Best layout

Small house, current bathroom is right in the middle, main drain is right below in the crawl space. Vents through attic and then through roof. The new bathroom is going to be converted from a bedroom, right next to this current bathroom. Should I make sure my toilet is on the wall between the...
  4. dankoos

Window installation with nailing fin

I have never installed a window before and I am confused on the need for drip cap on the particular model of window I purchased. The window has a nailing fin and integrated J channel and brickmould. The instructions say to use dripcap, UNLESS it has the brickmould. Every video I watch on window...
  5. dankoos

Separate "breaker box" needed for electric hot water tank?

My electric hot water tank has its own double pole breaker in the main house electrical panel. On the wall next to the tank is also a separate "braker box" which has another shutoff...is this second box required by code? Just curious why it would be needed if it is required?
  6. dankoos

New electric water heater - lukewarm water

Have a house I bought less than a year ago. Old tank leaked, so home warranty company paid to have replaced. They installed new AO Smith tank with expansion tank (which we didn't have previously). Water was lukewarm and Factory setting was 120 degrees. I bumped both thermostats to 140 before...
  7. dankoos

Sillcock/Hose Bib Cover Question

I have an older house (actually a 2nd home) that has three outdoor spigots. One appears to be a frost free, the other two definitely are not. In previous years, I believe the former owner just winterized the entire house, drained all the pipes. We installed a furnace and plan on using it...
  8. dankoos

Installing outlet/box for outdoor sump pump

I had to install an outdoor sump pit and pump. The pit is about 4-5 feet from the house. I am going to install an outlet either attached to the house, or on a pole next to the pit, so need advice on that first. If I install on house, I am thinking I should run the sump pump wires through conduit...
  9. dankoos

Outdoor sump pump

I have a vacation home that has had water around the footer. We dug down to the footer and are preparing to lay some pipe for a french drain. We also waterproofed the block and where the block meets the footer. With the footer being down about 3 feet, there is no natural slope to use to get...
  10. dankoos

Water on garage footer

I own a small ranch home built in 70's that sits on a crawl space. The crawl has poured concrete floor, no major issues down there, a little water that seeps in when we have a lot of heavy rain. At some point, a garage was added to the home. The block is about 3 deep under ground and 3 more...
  11. dankoos

Odd panel location - need advice

I am in contract to purchase a vacation/second home near Lake Erie (OH). The home was built in the 70's, appears to be a pre-fab house, set on a crawl space (cleanest crawl space I have ever seen, even has concrete floor). We performed our own inspection (finding a home inspector who truly...
  12. dankoos

New Office Space, Two Furnaces with one thermostat (I think)

My small company purchased new office space that has two furnaces...one in the middle of the space and one on one side of the space. The space is around 5,000 square feet and is basically rectangular with the elevator/stairs in the middle (2nd floor space). The one thermostat we know exists...
  13. dankoos

Main Water Shut Off

I don't recall if this happens every time, but I had to shut off the water to the house the other day to work on a toilet valve, and when I turned the water back on, a few drops of water dripped from where the valve handle meets the pipe. See below for pic of my meter. This has happened in the...
  14. dankoos

Toilet Flange on Tile, too high?

So I was trying to do this the CORRECT way. I cut a nice circle in my tile about the width of the 3" pipe. I am using a Sioux Chief Push Tite toilet flange so that I can pull it back out easily in a year or so when I re-do the floor (current toilet leaked so I had to fix now). I didn't...
  15. dankoos

Is this a proper setup?

I am looking at investing in a rental property. I do plan on getting an inspection if I make an offer, but I am curious if this connection is proper where exhaust vent for water heater and furnace come together. I thought only a "v" shaped fitting was correct?
  16. dankoos

Toilet Flange Replacement - rotted floorboard

So the toilet was wobbling, found cracked tile. When I removed the toilet, I discovered it had been leaking for some time. So the flange which was attached to a fitting which is glued to an elbow, which connects to I think like a 45 and that feeds into a straight piece of ABS. I would like to...
  17. dankoos

My brand new toilet keeps leaking

I just finished a remodel of my bathroom, down to the studs. I was so proud of myself once it was complete. A few days after getting good use, we noticed a wet ceiling under the bathroom. I am 95% sure it is the toilet based on the location of the wet spot. I know the water can travel, but...
  18. dankoos

Caulk or putty for tub spout?

On the home stretch of bathroom remodel. To make it look "professional", can i use putty behind tub spout? It is screw on moen with a square base and it is really tight to the tile. Was hoping to avoid messy caulk. Tile has some texture to it. Also, the plate that goes over shower handle...
  19. dankoos

Re-Installing Same Bathtub

I have a deep tub that sits into a hole in a tub "deck". I wanted to replace the tile on the "floor" of the deck and also on the walls around the tub (there is not shower). Several tiles had broken. Once I got the old tile off, there was a bunch of mold on the roofing board that made up the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks