Search results

1. Bob999

Well filtration fun in MD -- acidic hard water

I have tried both calcite+corosex and soda ash injection. In my situation I found soda ash injection preferable because the dosing is easily adjusted and, for me, once set has been very stable. I am careful when I mix my injection solution to carefully measure so that solution strength is a...
  2. Bob999

Moving Into New House Need Advice

RO water is highly corrosive and should not be run through copper pipes or standard fixtures. Water from an RO unit is typically piped in plastic pipes to a special fixture that is suitable for RO water.
  3. Bob999

A manual for your control head is available here: http://www.pentairwatertreatment.com/en-us/Products/ResidentialControlValves/Autotrol+255.htm Yes the head only can be replaced but you said your water tested soft so apparently it is working correctly. Repair parts are available for that...
  4. Bob999

Rather than piping unsoftened water to the cold line at the kitchen sink I recommend you install a separate drinking water faucet on the kitchen sink with unsoftened water. That would allow you to have completely softened water for kitchen cleaning use but still have unsoftened water for...
  5. Bob999

Water Softener, I'm learning but still a bit confused....

Correct--thanks for posting the correct information.
  6. Bob999

You are referring to calcium chloride which can be used to regenerate a softener. When KCL is used as a regenerant the hardness ions are replaced with calcium rather than sodium. KCL is much more expensive than NaCL--common salt--and up to 30% more by weight is required as compared to NaCL...
  7. Bob999

Mikey's suggestion for a separate tap is my preferred solution if the water quality prior to the softener is adequate and the cost is typically no more than installing an RO unit at the point of use. But as Tom points out the amount of sodium added by a softener in most applications is...
  8. Bob999

Typical household RO systems put 4 gallons down the drain for each gallon produced with 90-95% removal of dissolved solids.
  9. Bob999

New 7000 SXT. Not sure about it.

Yes leakage rate refers to hardness making it through. The value on the sticker should match the BLFC installed. Most individuals servicing the unit would use the information on the sticker without actually comparing it to the installed BLFC. If you have determined the actual BLFC is .25...
  10. Bob999

New 7000 SXT. Not sure about it.

According to the original post the BLFC is .125 and BF is 12 minutes. That works out to 1.5 gallons of water and 4.5 lbs of salt. With 2 cubic feet of resin that is a salt dose of 2.25 lb/cubic foot which gives a much lower total capacity with very high leakage rates.
  11. Bob999

New well, professional water analysis ... need advice!

The high TDS and sodium suggest that a RO system for drinking water would be desirable. The hardness of 4 grains falls in an area where some people chose to soften the water while others don't. Personally I would soften the water.
  12. Bob999

At wits end with new Fleck 7000 stx!

Note that Dittohead's instructions have a DLFC of 5 gpm while the poster says the unit has a DLFC of 3 gpm. Additionally, I would expect that the unit has fine mesh resin is probably being used because there is iron in addition to hardness and if there is iron a compensated hardness should be...
  13. Bob999

At wits end with new Fleck 7000 stx!

As mialynette2003 notes a softener does not reduce or remove TDS. As an additional point, if you have been living with very hard water then your hot water heater is filled with hard water and both the hot water heater and the piping system is likely lined with hardness deposits. The result is...
  14. Bob999

Autotrol 255/440i water low flow and brine tank backing up

Very likely the resin is fouled or has failed. If you have iron in your water iron fouling is very possible--particlarly becuase the regeneration is apparently not working. The fact that brine tank fills indicated that there is a problem internal to the control head--possible bad flappers. A...
  15. Bob999

Odd Fleck 7000SXT configuration possible?

Poster said his well pump only produces 8 gallons per minute. That isn't much for a filox filter except for the smallest size. With a larger media tank a 10, 12, or more gpm DLFC would be indicated and if the supply is only 8 gpm then the pressure is going to be very low--approaching zero.
  16. Bob999

Time for a new water softener system.

A 1 cubic foot unit should work well.
  17. Bob999

If you have city water municipal water suppliers are required to regularly test the water and make the results available to users. Many municipalities post the results on a website. Others will provide the information if you call and ask.
  18. Bob999

What is your water analysis--hardness and iron/manganese are of primary interest? Do you have any large tubs, multihead showers, or other application of softened water that have unusually high flow demands? If so please describe. Sizing is done based on compensated hardness and peak flow rate...
  19. Bob999

The Fleck 5600 control valve is an excellent valve. You can get units equipped with that valve for a lot less money. Here is one example: http://www.ohiopurewater.com/shop/customer/home.php?cat=178
  20. Bob999

Dead Culligan Estate 2 - How to remove & what's next?

Here is one source of supply--there are other online sellers: http://www.ohiopurewater.com/shop/customer/home.php?cat=213
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks