Search results

1. tbeaulieu

How to add neutral wire for MLV dimmer when none present? Impossible?

Hello, I've added quite a few Lutron Casettas to my home and have them all tied in with my Wink controller. Easy peasy. I've installed a 150W MLV driver in the cellar and am running a series of home run lines to the kitchen for cabinet lighting. Lutron's standard Casetta is not compatible with...
  2. tbeaulieu

Can I run an upstairs vent downstairs, tying into existing vent?

If you think the drawing isn't pretty, you'd really cringe at how this will need to be implemented. I can't pass pipes between floors inside the wall. Post and beam. So I'll need to either run them up the wall and then jog them out, through the ceiling/floor or just leave them outside the wall...
  3. tbeaulieu

I think I know what you mean. I suspect there's also terminology in play here. The main vent stack will, of course, have waste running through it below the highest fixture, right? I suspect you mean the "branch vents" (I made that term up) can't have waste water in them. So this means I need to...
  4. tbeaulieu

How so? Not sure this image link is working. Here's what I mean. https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/x7PsLSCeYGOT5MF0ffih4SlX0MHyLlHIOXONKfoTdi7?v=grid&ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy
  5. tbeaulieu

MA doesn't allow AAVs without an exception permit. I believe that I could, in theory, join to the bathroom vent in the attic. Alternatively, I have a fortuitous opportunity next week, wherein a roofer will be on premises for another project and could do the flashing for me if, were I to simply...
  6. tbeaulieu

Is it truly common to run washer drain pain out the external wall???

Ha ha. Don't get your feathers ruffled. I'm just a homeowner. Not a pro. Pretty sure if you showed a picture of a hose hanging out the side of a house to 100 homeowners 100 of them would choke and ask WTF?!
  7. tbeaulieu

Homeowner thinking of buying either IPC or Uniform Code book

Hello, I'm ordering some books to hopefully help me learn a bit on plumbing as it seems I'm often trying to figure something out in my 283 year old home. Ugh. I see the IPC 2015 and the Uniform Code 2015 books. The IPC reviews state that it's complicated, hard to read, and full of crap to sift...
  8. tbeaulieu

Excellent. Thanks! So my kitchen sink is improperly vented. It runs down through the cabinets, through wall and ties into the bathroom stack. Great.
  9. tbeaulieu

I agree that it will hopefully never be used. It just seems to barbaric to run it out the exterior wall! I found another discussion here about installing a leak detection device to shut off the water and to simply catch the first bit of water and not have a drain. I'd think that might work...
  10. tbeaulieu

Hello, I'm having a hard time finding anything on plumbing for the "emergency" drain pain under a second floor washer. Seems like my options are: 1. Run it right out the wall. Might let a little draft in, but under/behind the washer shouldn't be too bad. 2. Run it all the way down to the...
  11. tbeaulieu

Yeah, this is kind of crazy I know. I want to move the laundry upstairs. Picture a colonial with a smaller addition on one end (gable, also). The laundry is in that part of the house and there's a vent stack from the basement, through that addition and out the addition's roof. If I could run the...
  12. tbeaulieu

How useful will my well be for irrigation?

I've done some reading today and, unless I'm messing this up, I'm starting to suspect this well won't be able to support irrigation of any meaningful use. This is depressing. The largest part of my lawn (12,600 sq-ft) would require 8,112 gallons of water for 1" of coverage. (1" = 624 gallons...
  13. tbeaulieu

SO 12 hours later, the water level's back up to normal. So the well recovered in somewhere between 7 - 12 hours. I know it would be much better to have a well that could supply x GPM w/o going down, but hopefully this will serve some purpose with the right zoning and scheduling.
  14. tbeaulieu

After much trial and tribulation, I've finally been able to pull water from my shallow brick well (15 feet deep, about 8.5 feet of standing water). I ran the pump last night for 4 hours, drowing my wife's flower bed. She wasn't as excited as I was. It pretty much emptied the well. It was late...
  15. tbeaulieu

Suggested plumbing at irrigation pump in barn

Got it working! Thanks again for the help. I skipped the whole tank bit, which saved me a few hundred $ and that much more work. My old tank was consumer grade garbage. I installed a hose faucet on the output side so I could prime the system. It came right up and pumped immediately. No...
  16. tbeaulieu

Thank you. SO I'll leave the tank out. To move the pump - which I am considering - is a bunch of work. I am planning to put a pump at the well eventually, which will coincide with digging up the 1" pipe and replacing it it with 1 1/2. I'll also run the wiring at that time. I've thought...
  17. tbeaulieu

Hello, I recently purchased a home with a dug well. It's got 8' of lift and 90' of horizontal run to the pump in the barn. 1" black supply line. The jet pump was garbage. Looking for better long term setup, but while I'm saving to afford that, I found a used Goulds 3695 irrigation pump...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks